The Malik Report
MLive’s Ansar Khan reports that the Red Wings continue to hope that the NHL will eventually allow them to move to the Eastern Conference:
The Atlanta Thrashers appear destined for Winnipeg, but the move won’t enable the Detroit Red Wings to shift to the Eastern Conference—at least for the 2011-12 season.
“We’re not moving anywhere next year, that’s a fact,” Red Wings senior vice president Jimmy Devellano said Monday.
Could the Red Wings move to the East in 2012-13?
“We’ve got our fingers and toes crossed,” Devellano said.
Red Wings general manager Ken Holland and Brian Rafalski will host a press conference on Wednesday to discuss the veteran defenseman’s future with the organization.
The conference will take place at 11 a.m. EDT from inside the Olympia Club at Joe Louis Arena. Fans can watch the conference via a LIVE VIDEO STREAM here on DetroitRedWings.com.
An undrafted player coming out of the University of Wisconsin, Rafalski fine-tuned his skills in Europe before returning to North America where he enjoyed 11 NHL seasons—including four with the Red Wings. He was a two-time All-Star and won the Stanley Cup three times, two of which were with the New Jersey Devils in 2000 and 2003. Rafalski also had an excellent international playing career, winning two Olympic silver medals with Team USA at Salt Lake City (2002) and Vancouver (2010). In Vancouver, Rafalski was named the best defenseman of the tournament, finishing with four goals, four assists and a plus-7 rating in six games.
Rafalski was born and raised in suburban Detroit and attended Southfield Christian High School. He and his wife, Felicity, have three sons.
Update: MLive’s Ansar Khan says that the Wings want to bring Brendan Smith into the fold next season..
At this point, the determination as to whether Red Wings defenseman Brian Rafalski is in fact retiring, as reported on Monday, comes down to a roll call:Sportsnet (Nick Kypreos broke the story), TSN, ESPN’s Scott Burnside, the Sporting News’s Craig Custance, USA Today’s Kevin Allen, and, this morning, MLive’s Ansar Khan Macomb Daily’s Chuck Pleiness all saying that Rafalski will retire, citing “a source” or “sources,” with a press conference expected on Wednesday at Joe Louis Arena.
The Detroit News’s Ted Kulfan and the Free Press’s Helene St. James are sticking by Red Wings GM Ken Holland’s statement that Rafalski himself had not told Holland that he was going to retire…
Holland spoke with Rafalski last week during season-ending meetings and Rafalski told Holland he “had decisions to make.”
“I don’t really have much comment after that,” Holland said. “I haven’t talked to him since then. I know there are a lot of rumors out there, but he hasn’t told me he’s retiring. I expect to hear from him this week.”
Ditto for St. James, who noted that Holland was willing to at least suggest that the team understood that Rafalski and Nicklas Lidstrom might not return:
This morning, former Red Wings goaltender Dominik Hasek told Dennik Sport’s Miroslav Horak that he is going to take this year off from playing hockey after receiving no “interesting offers” as a 46-year-old coming off a disappointing season with Spartak Moscow of the KHL.
However, as Dominik Hasek remains Dominik Hasek, he plans on sticking with hockey, seeing where his connection with goaltending can lead him, and preparing for a comeback…during the 2012-2013 season.
The full interview’s apparently only in the print edition of the magazine, but CTK reports that Hasek says that he feels just as good physically as he did during his last season (2007-2008) with the Red Wings.
WXYZ’s Tom Wait provides further information regarding the passing of Belle Tire goalie and London Knights prospect Ian Jenkins (update: the Detroit News’s David Goricki ad the Free Press’s George Sipple spoke to members of Jenkins’ immediate and extended family as well):
At just 15 years-old Ian Jenkins was rated one of the top hockey players in the country. But just a day after signing a contract to play the game he loved professionally tragedy struck. Last Thursday Ian was with some friends in Milan where the teen went to High School. He was riding in the bed of a friend’s pick-up truck when somehow the 15-year-old fell out or jumped and hit his head. Doctors at the University of Michigan Health System did all they could to save him, but on Monday morning Ian passed away.
“Friday I stayed at the hospital for six hours and all my teammates came up. We gave each other big hugs. We all had tears in our eyes,” said Trevor Hamilton, one of Ian’s closest friends and his teammate.
On Saturday, SportsBusiness Journal’s Liz Mullen provided the most notable NHL-rleated “Tweets” in a long time by stating that NHL deputy commissioner BIll Daly informed the audience at the Sports Lawyers Association’s conference in Washington, DC, that the salary cap would rise to somewhere between $60.5 to $63.5 million next season, depending on whether the NHL’s revenues exceed $3 billion and/or whether the NHLPA applies its 5% cap inflator. Today, the Montreal Gazette’s Pat Hickey confirms the news:
The cap is based on hockey related revenue and Daly told the group, which included a number of salivating agents, that the NHL is expecting to post record revenue of close to $3 billion for the 2010-11 season. That’s an increase of more than $200 million from the previous season.
Since the CBA was reached after the 2004-05 lockout, league-wide revenues have increased by $750-800 million and the cap has increased by more than $20 million a team. The salary cap last season was $59.4 million and Daly said that it could jump to between $60.5 million and $63.5 million for next season.
But the salary cap increase won’t be good news for all teams. As the cap goes up, so does the floor. That’s the minimum amount of money a team has to pay for its players and that will create a burden for some of the NHL’s have-nots. While overall revenue is up, we continue to hear stories about major losses in Columbus, Atlanta, Long Island, Florida and, of course, Phoenix which has been kept on life support by the NHL. You might recall that the NHL owners said the lockout was necessary because the average salary had reached $1.8 million. The average salary is currently more than $2.3 million.
Updated ix at 11:47 PM: Per Pleiness:
A source told The Macomb Daily late Monday night that Rafalski is expected to announce his decision Wednesday during a news conference at Joe Louis Arena.
Well I hope that Nicklas Lidstrom’s going to stick around…As Paul noted, Sportsnet’s Nick Kypreos Tweeted that Brian Rafalski may retire from the Red Wings at 36, leaving a year left on his contract (which wouldn’t count against the cap as he signed it prior to 35 years of age, negating post-35 years if a player retires).
In a surprise if not shocking move sources tell Sportsnet the #RedWings will announce retirement of D Brian Rafalski as early as this week.
What’s more surprising #Redwings Rafalski walks away from 6M he was scheduled to earn next year. With the news look for Lidstrom to return.
Injuries the main reason #Redwings Rafalski shuts down a great career. He played throughout the play-offs without a ACL in his knee.
If that’s the knee that hasn’t had an ACL since he was 17, that’s not a surprise, but his other knee was bothering him, and his back issues have become a persistent issue.
Sportsnet has collected Kypreos’s Tweets in a report stating that Rafalski will indeed retire, and TSN says that its sources confirm that Rafalski is retiring [edit/update: the Sporting News’s Craig Custance says Rafalski will retire on Wednesday].
MLive’s Ansar Khan says that the Wings have not confirmed the news, the Detroit News is repeating the report and the Detroit Free Press’s Helene St. James spoke to Wings GM Ken Holland, who suggested that Rafalski is at least considering retirement, though Holland insists that nothing’s definite by any means:
Fox Sports Detroit’s Mike O’Hara solidly outlines the biggest reason why it’s incredibly hard to believe that the NHL will ever move the Red Wings to the Eastern Conference:
No matter what logic says, don’t count on the Wings moving. They’re gold at the box office. If owners of Western Conference franchises have any say, the Wings won’t be replaced on their schedule. The Wings were the NHL’s No. 1 road attraction in the 2010-11 regular season, playing to 99.8 percent of capacity. That was not a one-time occurrence. The Wings were No. 1 two seasons ago, at 104.9 percent of capacity, and second in 2009-10 at 98.4 percent.
If you own a Western Conference franchise, would you vote to give the Red Wings the geographic balance they deserve and let them move? Or would you rather have the guaranteed sellouts in your building when the Wings pay a visit? It’s an easy choice. Take the money.
The Phoenix Coyotes, another franchise in danger of losing its Zamboni to the repo man, are an example of a Western Conference team that needs the Wings. The Coyotes hosted the Red Wings in the first month of the season and drew 17,125. A week after the Wings left town, the Coyotes played back-to-back home games against Los Angeles and Carolina and drew less than 15,000 combined.
The Wings are hockey’s version of the Rolling Stones. They get old, but their act doesn’t.
It’s a Datsyukian deke versus a drag-and-dangle in
one of the quarterfinals of TSN’s “Play of the Year” showdown: Red Wings forward Pavel Datsyuk’s deke and dangle around three St. Louis Blues players tangles with Edmonton Oilers forward Jordan Eberle’s toe-drag first NHL goal against Calgary. TSN Play of the Year. Pavel is trailing badly at present (85% to 15%) so get out and vote!
Here’s Datsyuk’s goal…
And here’s Eberle’s goal:
On Saturday, Red Wings assistant GM Jim Nill told the Free Press’s George Sipple that the Wings are in the process of attempting to sign both power forward Andrej Nestrasil and slight-but-savvy defenseman Adam Almqvist to entry-level contracts before the team loses their rights on June 1st, and this morning, Jnytt.se’s Daniel Hultqvist reports that the Red Wings are highly likely to sign Almqvist to a thee-year, entry-level contract.
As the article’s roughly translated, it’ll begin after the jump:
About The Malik Report
The Malik Report is a destination for all things Red Wings-related. I offer biased, perhaps unprofessional-at-times and verbose coverage of my favorite team, their prospects and developmental affiliates. I've joined the Kukla's Korner family with five years of blogging under my belt, and I hope you'll find almost everything you need to follow your Red Wings at a place where all opinions are created equal and we're all friends, talking about hockey and the team we love to follow.