The Malik Report
Updated 2x at 5:14 PM: Given the staccato nature of the Red Wings news cycle, I’m guessing that as soon as I head out the door for a 90-minute appointment, I’m going to miss a big story, just as penning that, “well, there isn’t much going on right now” overnight report gave way to news about Darren McCarty‘s personal life, the Wings’ decision to sign Max Nicastro...
And, later in the morning, confirmation from MLive’s Ansar Khan that the Wings will consider trading for the rights of free agents-to-be at the draft, as well as adding a note about Tomas Holmstrom’s inevitable conversation with Holland coming this Friday.
From all the information available via the Toledo Blade’s Mark Monroe, the Lindsay Post‘s Jason Bain and other sources, Red Wings prospect Bryan Rufenach was backpacking through Europe with a childhood friend and died accidentally due to some sort of electrical mishap. This morning, the Red Wings posted a press release acknowledging Rufenach’s passing…
RED WINGS MOURN THE PASSING OF BRYAN RUFENACH
… Defenseman was a Seventh-Round Pick by Detroit in 2007 …
Detroit, MI… The Detroit Red Wings regret to announce the passing of Bryan Rufenach, a 23-year-old prospect who passed away recently while traveling in Switzerland. Rufenach was Detroit’s seventh-round pick (208th overall) in the 2007 National Hockey League Entry Draft. He split time between the Grand Rapids Griffins of the American Hockey League and the ECHL’s Toledo Walleye in 2011-12. The Barrie, Ontario, native registered two points (0-2-2) and 11 PIM in 13 games with the Griffins last season and posted 33 points (13-20-33) and 54 PIM in Toledo. He earned a degree in financial information and analysis from Clarkson University in 2011. Rufenach played four seasons for the Golden Knights and led all Clarkson blue-liners in points from 2008-2011.
As did the Grand Rapids Griffins:
According to the Detroit News’s Mike Martindale, former Red Wings forward and recovering alcoholic Darren McCarty has taken out personal protection orders against four former friends who Darren and his wife Sheryl, accuse of harassing and stalking McCarty:
The McCartys accuse the four of trying to get the couple fired from their jobs, threatening both through text messages and phone calls, posting malicious comments on McCarty’s work and appearance websites, and threatening violence against them. Oakland Circuit Judge Mary Ellen Brennan granted the protection orders on May 22 against Tonya Juhl, 37, and Kimberley Mitchell, 38, both of Clawson; Anne Marie Samulski, 22, of Royal Oak; and Louis Barbato, 40, of Shelby Township.
The orders, good for a year, bar Juhl, Mitchell, Samulski and Barbato from approaching, following or contacting the McCartys or going to their home or workplaces. McCarty works for the Detroit Red Wings Alumni Association, and worked in the past year for a Detroit pawn shop; his wife is a nurse at Beaumont Hospital.
Five days after
charges of rape against him were dropped by Boston prosecutors, the Red Wings are placing a significant amount of faith in former Boston University defenseman Max Nicastro’s ability to rebound from six months’ worth of incredibly difficult personal circumstances.
MLive’s Ansar Khan reports that the Wings will sign Nicastro to an entry-level deal and give the two-way defenseman the opportunity to begin his professional career while doing what the Wings do with every player who joins their organization—allowing them to check their baggage at the locker room door:
The Detroit Red Wings anticipate signing the defenseman from Boston University, their third-round pick in the 2008 entry draft (91st overall), after July 1 and assigning him to the Grand Rapids Griffins, assistant general manager Jim Nill said. The 22-year-old Nicastro is a big, stay-at-home defenseman (6-foot-3, 215).
“He has good size, a big, strong guy, physical,’’ Nill said. “He can shoot the puck. He’s a strong skater.’‘
Authorities last week dropped rape charges against Nicastro. The native of Thousand Oaks, Calif., was arrested Feb. 19 after he was accused of assaulting a female student on campus. He had pleaded not guilty, was suspended from the team and withdrew from school.
“We got no comment on what happened,’’ Nill said. “Whatever is in the past, he’s been cleared of. We move forward.’‘
Red Wings overnight report: on accountability, the Wings’ future, lockout talk, Shanny and Iron Hook
Updated 3x at 9:04 AM: On a strange day of radical ups and downs, from the Red Wings’ release of its Winter Classic lead-up events’ schedule to discussions of Todd Bertuzzi’s legal woes and a story I plain old refuse to cover because it’s far too bizarre (click at your own risk, my friends, click at your own risk), and then Bryan Rufenach‘s passing…
But Wings GM Ken Holland, assistant GM Jim Nill, VP Jimmy Devellano, capologist Ryan Martin, the pro scouts (like Kirk Maltby and Mark Howe), coach Mike Babcock and executives Chris Chelios and Kris Draper have decided that the team’s simply got too much to lose—and too much can change between now and the draft on June 22nd, never mind free agency’s start on July 1st, based upon which free agents-to-be re-sign with their teams and based upon what the early CBA negotiations reveal regarding the rules the Wings will play under come September—for the front office to shake hands and say, “See you at the draft!”
“I would categorize it as a whole lot of philosophical conversation,” Holland said. “We talked about what the rules are going to be, our team, and what direction are we going to go in? “
Every player eligible to become an unrestricted free agent was rated and ranked, but that’ll be revisited later in June, because several of those players are expected to re-sign with their current teams.
Updated 4x at 9:15 AM on Wednesday: Terrible, terrible news from TSN...
Former Detroit Red Wings draft pick Bryan Rufenach has died.The ECHL said Tuesday that Rufenach, 23, died this week while traveling in Switzerland. It gave no further details.
Rufenach, a defenseman, played in 60 games with the Toledo Walleye over the previous two seasons and scored 14 goals with 21 assists. He also played 13 games for Grand Rapids of the AHL. He was taken in the seventh round with the 208th overall pick by the Red Wings in 2007 after four seasons at Clarkson University.
Red Wings forward Todd Bertuzzi’s legal issues remain part of his baggage, so, per the CBC’s Michael Drapak...
Lawyers for Todd Bertuzzi and Orca Bay, the company that owns the Vancouver Canucks, have lost an appeal to keep secret the details of an agreement that shares costs between them should they lose a $38 million lawsuit brought against them by Steve Moore.
Moore’s lawyer, Tim Danson, learned of the agreement earlier this year and won a decision to have it released to him, but not for public disclosure.
Justice Paul Perell, of the Ontario Superior Court of Justice, upheld that decision, writing “since the structure of the settlement agreement has already been disclosed, the non-disclosure of the details of the proportional sharing is more harmful than the complete disclosure”.
Continued, and as I keep saying, I with that Moore’s lawyer, Tim Danson, would cut this, “Let’s sue everyone for half a billion dollars!” strategy and instead take a significant chunk of Bertuzzi’s career earnings, a significant settlement from the league and Canucks and simply let Steve Moore move on with his life. Moore’s a brilliant, articulate and thoughtful young man and he’s been forced to remain a victim for the better part of a decade, and he deserves to get his paycheck and no longer have to live as, “The guy whose neck Bertuzzi broke.”
And in seriously bizarre legal news, i’m not even touching the Free Press’s story about the gentleman who mailed body parts to Canadian political party offices being a Fedorov fan. That’s just f***ed up...
Update #2: the Canadian Press has more if you’re interested.
Updated 3x with Niklas Kronwall talking about Jarnkrok at 4:37 PM: Amongst this morning’s addendums to the overnight report:
• Red Wings executive Chris Chelios has spent the past three-and-a-half days taking part in the team’s organizational powwow at Joe Louis Arena, but before he headed into the Wings’ de-facto bunker with Ken Holland, Jim Nill, Ryan Martin, Kris Draper, Jimmy Devellano, Mark Howe and pro scouts like Kirk Maltby and Mark Howe, he spoke to MLive’s Brendan Savage about his of subbing in goal to play to play hockey with a certain “perfect human’s” offspring as opposed to a former teammate’s trying to knock his block off when Chelios volunteered to play goal in Montreal:
From the Red Wings’ PR department and the Wings’ website:
PRELIMINARY SCHEDULE FOR DECEMBER’S HOCKEYTOWN WINTER FESTIVAL™ ANNOUNCED
… Two Weeks of Hockey Excitement Will Descend Upon Detroit in December …
Detroit, MI… Olympia Entertainment has unveiled a preliminary schedule for the 2012 Hockeytown Winter Festival™, set to take place at downtown Detroit’s Comerica Park™ during the final two weeks of December. Kicking off mid-month and wrapping up on New Year’s Eve, this multi-faceted celebration of the sport of hockey will feature a wide variety of fun-filled activities and exhibitions for fans of all ages. A full listing of dates and events comprising the Hockeytown Winter Festival™ can be found below:
About The Malik Report
The Malik Report is a destination for all things Red Wings-related. I offer biased, perhaps unprofessional-at-times and verbose coverage of my favorite team, their prospects and developmental affiliates. I've joined the Kukla's Korner family with five years of blogging under my belt, and I hope you'll find almost everything you need to follow your Red Wings at a place where all opinions are created equal and we're all friends, talking about hockey and the team we love to follow.