The Malik Report

Zetterberg Day-To-Day, Will Not Play Friday

Paul here for George.

via Ansar Khan of Mlive,

Detroit Red Wings center Henrik Zetterberg will miss Friday’s game against Nashville (7:30 p.m., Fox Sports Detroit) due to a lower-body injury, which he said is day-to-day.

Tomas Tatar has been recalled from the Grand Rapids Griffins.

Danny Cleary skated today but his left knee still is bothering him after having it drained a second time this week. He said he will miss at least two more games.

Goaltender Jimmy Howard will not play Friday, still planning on returning Sunday against San Jose from the broken right index finger he sustained on Feb. 2.

Filed in: | The Malik Report | Permalink

Comments

MoreShoot's avatar

So, Filppula centers the 2nd line with Hudler and who?

Posted by MoreShoot on 02/16/12 at 04:09 PM ET

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just when he’s getting his goal-scoring mojo back.

Ugh, I vomit.

Posted by SYF from the team that re-signed KFQ and DFC by KFH on 02/16/12 at 04:09 PM ET

Chris in Hockey Hell's avatar

I’ll be so pissed if the winning streak ends to the goddamn Predators.

Posted by Chris in Hockey Hell from Ann Arbor, MI but LIVING in Columbia, TN on 02/16/12 at 04:10 PM ET

BrendonR's avatar

Bringing up Tatar to showcase for a potential trade?  Seems like Nyquist had been getting the nod first before.

Posted by BrendonR on 02/16/12 at 04:23 PM ET

Seems like Nyquist had been getting the nod first before.

Posted by BrendonR from Toronto, ON on 02/16/12 at 01:23 PM ET

I don’t recall Tatar playing for the big club yet this year and the Wings generally like to give as many of the young guys a chance to play 1 game if possible to get a taste.  Just doesn’t seem to have been many opportunities this year.

Posted by Valek from Chicago on 02/16/12 at 04:43 PM ET

I think the reason Tatar is getting the call is Nyquist has been on pace to possibly win Rookie of the Year in the AHL and it has been speculated elsewhere that management wants to give him the chance to win it.  But, it could also be that they want to show what Tatar can do in case of a possible trade.

Posted by Karen Waldron from Cleveland, OH on 02/16/12 at 04:49 PM ET

MoreShoot's avatar

Quoth Babcock, via Sipple:

Babcock said Justin Abdelkader will move up to take Zetterberg’s spot, and Tomas Tatar will be called up from the Grand Rapids Griffins to play on the fourth line.

Ugh. I like Abbey, but he plays 4th line for a reason. But I guess Mike thinks they need size, and that’s probably right.  Just skate to the net, Abbey.

Posted by MoreShoot on 02/16/12 at 04:51 PM ET

MOWingsfan19's avatar

Jobu can go to hell.

Posted by MOWingsfan19 from I really like our team on 02/16/12 at 04:53 PM ET

I hope it’s not his back again.

Mutherfuc——-

Posted by SYF from the team that re-signed KFQ and DFC by KFH on 02/16/12 at 04:59 PM ET

Ugh. I like Abbey, but he plays 4th line for a reason.

How about Mursak?  He’s supposed to be a future top-six forward isn’t he?  Why not give him a shot at playing on a skilled line?

Posted by Garth on 02/16/12 at 05:04 PM ET

Itrusteddrrahmani's avatar

Posted by Garth on 02/16/12 at 02:04 PM ET

I imagine there will be a great deal of line juggling and we’ll end up seeing Mursak on the 2nd line at some point.

Posted by Itrusteddrrahmani from Nyc by way of A2 on 02/16/12 at 05:15 PM ET

stonehands-78's avatar

I remember the hit that Z took along the boards last game ... next time to the bench he was in some real pain and it looked like lower back.

...

man, I hope I’m wrong.

sick

Posted by stonehands-78 from the beginning ... a WingsFan, on 02/16/12 at 07:00 PM ET

red_wings_49's avatar

I hope it’s not his back again.

Mutherfuc——-

Posted by SYF from a “Bron-Y-Aur Stomp” on 02/16/12 at 01:59 PM ET

Its his knee… early in the 1st period he had it slammed into the board… he was favoring it all game long…

Posted by red_wings_49 from Mad Heights, MI on 02/16/12 at 07:02 PM ET

HockeytownOverhaul's avatar

Abby’s a perfect fit ont he second line, a puck retriever and net front presence, good speed, create some space with physical play.. I’m digging it.  These are the tests the team needs to keep building confidence throughout the line-up.  Let’s hope they answer the bell.

Posted by HockeytownOverhaul on 02/16/12 at 07:17 PM ET

Abby might do OK on the second line (though I might argue that the second line has been playing pretty damn well with out a net front presence or physical player) but my point was not that Abby could but that Mursak isn’t best used in a 3rd/4th line checking roll whereas Abdelkader has flourished in that kind of role.

Posted by Garth on 02/16/12 at 07:34 PM ET

George Malik's avatar

The simplest explanation would be that he suffered some sort of injury to the first part of one’s leg which absorbs impacts in leg-meets boards collisions. That would suggest that he suffered a Charley horse to his thigh or calf.

Posted by George Malik from South Lyon, MI on 02/16/12 at 07:59 PM ET

Jeff  OKWingnut's avatar

Jobu can go to hell.

Amen.

Posted by Jeff OKWingnut from Quest for 12 on 02/16/12 at 08:34 PM ET

George Malik's avatar

Also: sorry for my relative absence today. Body says test up before big legal hearing tomorrow. My body also wants you to know that taking advice from one’s aunt about delaying taking a new course of antibiotics for a sinus infection until after said hearing for lucidity’s sake will tend to convince your sings infection to remind you why you are paying $95 to take said second course of risk for ACL tear-increasing antibiotic.

I hate this legal shit, I gate this damn bug and I just want to get back to f’ing doing my job.

I was going to write, “Doing my f’ing job,” but my inner Beavis and Butthead reminded me that my job does not include said activity. Not many blog groupies out there. Hope that didn’t shatter anyone’s illusion of getting into blogging for the chicks…

Posted by George Malik from South Lyon, MI on 02/16/12 at 08:36 PM ET

George Malik's avatar

One more thing…It’s Cleary’s injury which worries me. Sounds like he will be out for another week, if not longer than that.

Tatar needs to dazzle given that his waiver exempt status ends after this season and given Nyquist’s brilliance. Here’s hoping and maybe betting that we will like what we see from Tatar.

Posted by George Malik from South Lyon, MI on 02/16/12 at 08:43 PM ET

Tatar actually has another year of waiver exemption

Posted by Stefan from halifax on 02/16/12 at 11:57 PM ET

Tatar actually has another year of waiver exemption

Yeah, according to Capgeek’s calculator, he’ll still be exempt next season.

Posted by Garth on 02/17/12 at 12:55 AM ET

George Malik's avatar

Oh, there are times I hate being wrong, and there are times I love it. I didn’t check Capgeek before I wrote that and now I’m damn happy that I was wrong, wrong, wrong wrong.

Posted by George Malik from South Lyon, MI on 02/17/12 at 01:36 AM ET

Yeah, it will be nice to be able to build next year’s team based on what Ken Holland and Mike Babcock want it to be rather than being forced to try and fit in players who the team might not feel are ready solely because they have young players who are out of minor league options.

Posted by Garth on 02/17/12 at 01:28 PM ET