The Malik Report

Zetterberg Out At Least 2 Weeks With Herniated Disc

Plus, Datsyuk is not skating today.

added 11:52am,

Filed in: | The Malik Report | Permalink

Comments

A team without Z, Dats, or Lidstrom?

Must not be Detroit.

Posted by neffernin on 12/03/13 at 11:14 AM ET

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUDGE!

Posted by lancer on 12/03/13 at 11:15 AM ET

MoreShoot's avatar

Minimum of 2 weeks might be a merciful understatement.  Dats not ready.  Who comes up to fill space?

Posted by MoreShoot on 12/03/13 at 11:16 AM ET

REALLY?

Posted by George0211 on 12/03/13 at 11:18 AM ET

Chris in Hockey Hell's avatar

Good God. Might as well just put him on LTIR now, because I don’t see “2 weeks” happening.

Posted by Chris in Hockey Hell from Ann Arbor, MI but LIVING in Columbia, TN on 12/03/13 at 11:18 AM ET

Give the Iron Hook a few games?

Posted by lancer on 12/03/13 at 11:19 AM ET

So who plays center on the top line? Franzen, Helm?

Posted by George0211 on 12/03/13 at 11:20 AM ET

MoreShoot's avatar

Jurco?  Just for a look see?

Posted by MoreShoot on 12/03/13 at 11:20 AM ET

MoreShoot's avatar

So who plays center on the top line? Franzen, Helm?

No one Mule train?

Posted by MoreShoot on 12/03/13 at 11:21 AM ET

Down River Dan's avatar

Awesome sick

Posted by Down River Dan on 12/03/13 at 11:22 AM ET

I say they go for the stars and put in Weiss to center the top line.  He’s done it before.  I think.

Posted by neffernin on 12/03/13 at 11:22 AM ET

So is Cleary getting promoted to top line again?

Posted by George0211 on 12/03/13 at 11:22 AM ET

MoreShoot's avatar

Agreed, best option.  Let Weiss center Mule and Nyq.  Bring up Sheahan to center fourth line.

Posted by MoreShoot on 12/03/13 at 11:23 AM ET

It probably is the best option. Plus he needs better wingers than Sammy and Cleary. He needs to get something going, here is his chance.

Posted by George0211 on 12/03/13 at 11:25 AM ET

Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit's avatar

Bad news. Time to really show what we’re made of.

“Time to sink or swim, Billy.”(Slaughterhouse-Five reference)

Let’s Go Red Wings!!!!!

Posted by Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit on 12/03/13 at 11:25 AM ET

Figaro's avatar

Poop.  I guess it’s the Alfie show for a little while.

Posted by Figaro from Los Alamos, NM on 12/03/13 at 11:28 AM ET

Looooooooooove those chronic back issues.  Fine for weeks/months/a year at a time and then BOOM!

Right in the pooper.  Just great.

Posted by HockeyinHD on 12/03/13 at 11:32 AM ET

Down River Dan's avatar

A “small” herniated disc?............kinda like a little pregnant

Posted by Down River Dan on 12/03/13 at 11:35 AM ET

OlderThanChelios's avatar

Posted by MoreShoot

Sounds like a good plan. The only question is do they have the cap space to bring anyone up unless Z goes on LTIR?

And that “minimum two weeks” for a herniated disc (even a small one) is a pipe dream. I worked for a neurosurgeon for a while doing patient education material (including creating a CD-ROM on back problems) and I’ve never heard of a disc that’s actually herniated being better in two weeks.

It might happen with a “bulged” disc, but a herniated disc indicates a tear in the disc wall. So, hopefully, they just used the wrong term to describe Z’s injury.

Posted by OlderThanChelios from Grand Rapids, MI on 12/03/13 at 11:37 AM ET

Hootinani's avatar

For fuchs sake, can we get some good goddamn news for once?

Posted by Hootinani on 12/03/13 at 11:41 AM ET

Franzen to center apparently, everything else is the same

Posted by George0211 on 12/03/13 at 11:42 AM ET

Figaro's avatar

It’s OK, everybody.  Calm down!  We have Dan Cleary to step up and take over as 1st Line center for the next month or so while Captain Zetty the Grizzly Teddy heals.

Posted by Figaro from Los Alamos, NM on 12/03/13 at 11:48 AM ET

Paul's avatar

Babcock says Bert not ready for tomorrow, not sure if they can call someone up from GR.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 12/03/13 at 12:14 PM ET

OlderThanChelios's avatar

Babcock says Bert not ready for tomorrow…

Gosh, I wonder who’ll get promoted to the top line with Franzen and Gus. Hey, I’ll bet it’s Tatar. Yup. Almost positive that’s who it’ll be. I’m mean, who else is there?

Sigh.

Posted by OlderThanChelios from Grand Rapids, MI on 12/03/13 at 12:20 PM ET

perfection's avatar

wow.
talk about starting my day with a punch to the gut.

I’d think if anyone was going to go on LTIR it would be Dats. They can apply it retroactively and he’s already missed 5 games (?).

In any case, I guess the only glimmer of hope is that it took losing Datsyuk to shake the cobwebs off half the team, maybe losing Z will shake the cobwebs off the other half?

I think Weiss and Howie in particular need to have big Decembers.

man, our PP is going to be garbage.

Posted by perfection from LaLaLand on 12/03/13 at 12:23 PM ET

I think Weiss and Howie in particular need to have big Decembers.

Definitely, and it’d be nice if Weiss got some linemates.

Posted by Garth on 12/03/13 at 12:53 PM ET

Figaro's avatar

I think Weiss and Howie in particular need to have big Decembers.

Posted by perfection from LaLaLand on 12/03/13 at 12:23 PM ET

I’m with you.  This may force Coach Babs to move Weiss up to a top line and hopefully that will get him going.  We’ve got Alfie and Kronner to take over as on-ice leaders, Mule is in a “Shoot it past the goalie” phase for a change, Abby and Helm are cookin’ right along. Gus and Tatar are getting stronger with each shift (I think someone the other day said Tatar looks like a young Hank).  Our D is rarely making the same mistake twice in the same period.  Even if Howie continues to look like a normal NHL goalie, Monster is playing beyond our expectations.  Hell, even Miller is putting it in the net.  We’re going into this time of trial with a team that is is playing very confidently (well, 3 lines at least).  Hopefully we can ride this wave for a while.

Posted by Figaro from Los Alamos, NM on 12/03/13 at 12:54 PM ET

Paul's avatar

Emmerton will be the recall.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 12/03/13 at 01:04 PM ET

According to TPL twitter, Dats could not play for another 8 games in order to hit the 24 day minimum

Posted by mtuwingsfan on 12/03/13 at 01:13 PM ET

Not a surprise Emmerton will be a recall. He already counts against the cap and he’s a center. I do think they need to start recalling players whose rights they will lose if they don’t bring them up to detroit next year to get a better look at them, though.

Thanks for the input OTC. I will say though that he may have a herniated disk that he’s never had fixed and it’s causing some radiculopathy that it was not previously. So maybe the disk isn’t going to be better but maybe there is some inflammation there that wasn’t before which could get better. However… most likely things aren’t going to go that well.

Posted by teldar on 12/03/13 at 01:51 PM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

He already counts against the cap and he’s a center.

Only the second part of that sentence is true.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 12/03/13 at 02:45 PM ET

This news really hurts. Well, now we’ll see what the Red Wings are really made of, because now we don’t have the Euro twins to drive the bus. Weiss really needs to step up here and prove himself worthy of that contract, Franzen needs to keep going at his current pace, Kronner is solid, Nyquist and Tatar, Howie and Gus. The good thing is that we play relatively easier opponents over the next fiew weeks. I would like to see this, although I could be wrong on the cap hit for some GR players:

Franzen-Weiss-Nyquist
Abby-Helm-Alfie
Miller-Andy-Tatar
Sammy-Emmerton/Sheahan-Bert/Callahan

Waive Cleary.

Kronner-E
Quincey-DD
Smith-Kindl/Lashoff

Howie
Gus

I’m not sure, though, how the cap hits work for Emmerton—who was called up today—Sheahan or Callahan, nor what the cap relief is for waiving Cleary (which is necessary once DD comes back from LTIR).

Posted by ZandPasha11 on 12/03/13 at 02:55 PM ET

oUTSTANDING.

Posted by SYF from Alana Blanchard's Bikinis and Surfboards on 12/03/13 at 04:31 PM ET

I thought Emmerton was on a one way deal, no? I guess if he’s buried he doesn’t count because he makes little enough?

I had a look at capgeek and see he’s basically the only one they can call up without putting either 13 or 40 on LTIR. There’s no more room for a call up without clearing any cap space. Even Sheahan is far too expensive.

Posted by teldar on 12/03/13 at 10:15 PM ET