The Malik Report

Zetterberg In Tonight

I will update this post if any more news is made available on the Wings today.

added 11:22am, More Khan,

Babcock said the only change up front sees Zetterberg replace Cleary. On defense, Kindl is in for Lashoff.

Filed in: | The Malik Report | Permalink

Comments

Figaro's avatar

Babcock said the only change up front sees Zetterberg replace Cleary.

Can anyone ever truly replace Dan Cleary?

Posted by Figaro from Los Alamos, NM on 01/31/14 at 11:24 AM ET

Babcock said the only change up front sees Zetterberg replace Cleary.

Can anyone ever truly replace Dan Cleary?

Posted by Figaro from Los Alamos, NM on 01/31/14 at 11:24 AM ET

Yes,  my 3 year old.

Posted by George0211 on 01/31/14 at 11:27 AM ET

Hootinani's avatar

Yes,  my 3 year old.
Posted by George0211 on 01/31/14 at 11:27 AM ET

About 37 years too young for Holland.

Posted by Hootinani on 01/31/14 at 11:32 AM ET

EDJ's avatar

Yes,  my 3 year old.
Posted by George0211 on 01/31/14 at 11:27 AM ET

About 37 years too young for Holland.

Posted by Hootinani on 01/31/14 at 11:32 AM ET

Not to mention his injury history probably isn’t long enough, and that he can’t possibly have spent five years toiling in the minors getting ready to play against NHLers…

Posted by EDJ on 01/31/14 at 11:42 AM ET

Red Winger's avatar

Can anyone ever truly replace Dan Cleary?

I LOL’d

Posted by Red Winger from Sault Ste Marie on 01/31/14 at 11:50 AM ET

Babcock said the only change up front sees Zetterberg replace Cleary.

I blinked several times just to make sure I’m reading that right.

Posted by SYF from The Revenge of Johnny E on 01/31/14 at 11:53 AM ET

Nathan's avatar

Two huge upgrades.

Posted by Nathan from the scoresheet! on 01/31/14 at 11:53 AM ET

Can anyone ever truly replace Dan Cleary?

Posted by Figaro from Los Alamos, NM on 01/31/14 at 11:24 AM ET

Swedish sensation Conis Orangusson.

Posted by Valek from Chicago on 01/31/14 at 11:54 AM ET

Based on yesterday’s lines, this really means slipping Zetterberg into the top line between Nyquist and Abdelkader and moving Andersson to Helm’s wing on the third line.  On the one hand that’s a huge positive, as Helm and Alfredsson have played well together before (with Franzen or Nyquist) but have been dragged down by Cleary.

On the other hand I’m not sure how this lineup is evolving.  Basically out of the “bottom six” centers—Helm, Sheahan, Andersson, Glendening, Weiss—Andersson is the one I have the least interest in seeing at winger.  I would rather see Sheahan audition on Zetterberg’s wing for a bit, put Abdelkader down with Helm and Alfie (he’s played well with Helm before) and try Andersson with Tatar and Jurco.

Posted by captaineclectic on 01/31/14 at 12:04 PM ET

Little Redhead's avatar

Good New Paul, thanks!

Looking forward to seeing the Captain back on the ice smile

Lets Go Red Wings!!!!!

Posted by Little Redhead from the Engineer's chair on 01/31/14 at 12:04 PM ET

Paul's avatar

The Caps say Mike Green will be a game time decision after this hit last night.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 01/31/14 at 12:12 PM ET

MsRedWinger's avatar

So glad Z is in.  Thanks, Paul.

Not sure I get Kindl for Lashoff.  Seems to me Lashoff - while not a flashy or particularly offensive-minded guy - has been pretty solid.  Maybe just giving Kindl a chance before sending anyone back down to GR?

Can anyone ever truly replace Dan Cleary?

I LOL’d

Posted by Red Winger from Sault Ste Marie on 01/31/14 at 11:50 AM ET

Me too.  wink

Posted by MsRedWinger from Flori-duh on 01/31/14 at 12:57 PM ET

MoreShoot's avatar

He has zero offensive ability is what mainly holds him back, and I think he could use a bit more poise with the puck in his own zone (mostly when he’s looking to make an outlet pass).  I like his size and positioning on D, but frankly I think Quellett could be better, and maybe already is.

Posted by MoreShoot on 01/31/14 at 01:18 PM ET

RedMenace's avatar

Posted by MoreShoot on 01/31/14 at 01:18 PM ET

I think Lashoff has offensive ability, he’s just being told not to use it… you know, play it VERY safe and be a stay-at-home guy. Seriously, his shots from the point get through with velocity, and his passes are great 95% of the time. He doesn’t have blazing speed, but I think he could actually produce more if given the opportunity.

Posted by RedMenace from the Church of Jesus Lashoff on 01/31/14 at 01:23 PM ET

MoreShoot's avatar

he’s just being told not to use it

You see it more than I do.  I can see the trouble of over-coaching, tho.  Kindl, too.  Babcock murders him to be harder on the body, but I think the strength of his game should be that he skates pretty good for a man of his size.  I think he walks the blue line very well, but doesn’t skate out of trouble as much in his own zone.  Smith has been asserting his skating ability more of late, I think to his benefit.

Posted by MoreShoot on 01/31/14 at 01:32 PM ET

RedMenace's avatar

Posted by MoreShoot on 01/31/14 at 01:32 PM ET

I really REALLY want to see Blabs try Smith at forward… might turn him into one of the best young two-way forwards in the game. wink

Posted by RedMenace from the Church of Jesus Lashoff on 01/31/14 at 02:34 PM ET

George Malik's avatar

You, Art Regner and me…Put Smith 200 feet away from his net and I’m sure he can play decent defense wink

Posted by George Malik from South Lyon, MI on 01/31/14 at 02:39 PM ET

Gary A$$ SUCK !!'s avatar

Babcock said the only change up front sees Zetterberg replace Cleary.

Can anyone ever truly replace Dan Cleary?

Posted by Figaro from Los Alamos, NM on 01/31/14 at 11:24 AM ET

Yes one of my german shepherds !!!

Posted by Gary A$$ SUCK !! from Fort Myers, Florida on 01/31/14 at 06:21 PM ET

Paul's avatar

This is how bad it is, someone at HF Boards proposed a Cleary and a 4th for Scott Gomez.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 01/31/14 at 06:23 PM ET

I think Lashoff has offensive ability, he’s just being told not to use it

Considering Lashoff has 32 goals and 103 assists in 460 games since 2006-7, I’d imagine just about every coach he’s ever had must have told him not to use it.

Posted by HockeyinHD on 01/31/14 at 07:20 PM ET

This is how bad it is, someone at HF Boards proposed…

‘nuff said.