The Malik Report

Zetterberg Had A Good Day, Datsyuk Still Skating On One Leg

Ansar Khan after practice today...

Zetterberg skated for the second day in a row, his first practice with the team since he tweaked his back last Friday against Montreal.

“Had a good day today; it’s fun to skate again,” Zetterberg said. “Hopefully I’ll feel good tomorrow after the morning skate and we’ll go from there.”

He said this back injury is a little different than the slightly herniated disc that forced him to miss 11 games in December.

“We’ve done everything we could so it doesn’t get worse and now just hopefully stay on this path and it keeps getting better,” Zetterberg said.

He said he’s not concerned that it will keep reoccurring.

Datsyuk will miss his 12th consecutive game due to an unspecified lower-body injury. He practiced again on Thursday, after which coach Mike Babcock said, “He was still one-leg skating today.”

added 1:30pm, Chuck Pleiness of Red Wings Front has more...

“We know every night we’re tested,” Babcock said. “I don’t think it was hard to look at Philly’s lineup the other night and see that had more veteran players dressed than us. Washington has a lot of guys that can hurt you on one shift. We’re going to have to be real good. Their power play is good. We have to pay attention to detail in that area.

“The biggest thing is we have to look after our part,” Babcock continued. “As much as it is about the opposition it’s way more about yourself and how you play. We’re very capable of doing what we think is a game plan. Does that guarantee success? No, but it sure gives us a chance.”

Filed in: | The Malik Report | Permalink

Comments

Paul's avatar

In case you did not see on the KKHockey page, Franzen not going to Sochi.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 01/30/14 at 03:16 PM ET

MsRedWinger's avatar

Wow.  I’m really worried about the Mule.  Bet he doesn’t return this season.  Why don’t they go ahead and put him on LTIR?

Posted by MsRedWinger from Flori-duh on 01/30/14 at 03:46 PM ET

Paul's avatar

MRW, that may be an option after the Olympic break, but don’t see that happening now.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 01/30/14 at 03:49 PM ET

detroitredwings's avatar

I wish Pasha would sit out Sochi as well.

Posted by detroitredwings on 01/30/14 at 04:17 PM ET

alwaysaurie's avatar

Posted by MsRedWinger from Flori-duh on 01/30/14 at 02:46 PM ET

LTIR is only used as a place to shelter some salary-cap problem. He gives us no relief because Weiss is already on LTIR. If he is still out when Weiss comes off, he can be placed on LTIR retroactively at that time.

I think they’ve proven that they won’t rush Franzen back and I see no reason to hurry-up and make a decision on his availability after the Olympics.

Posted by alwaysaurie on 01/30/14 at 04:31 PM ET

I think they’ve proven that they won’t rush Franzen back

Did they prove that?  Or did the fact that they’ve already rushed him back once prove the opposite?

Posted by Garth on 01/30/14 at 04:39 PM ET

I’d like to see everyone on the ir not go. Monster,  Dats, Z, and Howard should all not be going. And Rig if his ribs are still bad.

Posted by teldar on 01/30/14 at 05:10 PM ET