The Malik Report

Yzerman Or Sakic?

from Adrian Dater of the Denver Post,

In Monday's Denver Post, we have a story that polled 10 of the most experienced hockey writers in North America to name the top 10 centers in NHL history.

Joe Sakic came in eighth, just behind Bryan Trottier and just ahead of Stan Mikita. Steve Yzerman, the former Detroit Red Wings Hall of Famer, came in sixth.

Do we have a Red Wings-Avs rematch rivalry moment here? Who was better — Yzerman or Sakic? Were the poll responders wrong?

I'm going to say ... mmm ... can we debate this a little? They were such similar players with similar numbers, on the back of their sweaters and on the ice.

continued

Filed in: | The Malik Report | Permalink
  Tags: joe+sakic, steve+yzerman

Comments

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

No. Tired of Dater trying to stir this dust up constantly.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 11/12/12 at 08:06 PM ET

MoreShoot's avatar

I don’t care. Sakic scared the shit out of me, and I’m sure Yzerman scared the shit out of them.

Posted by MoreShoot on 11/12/12 at 08:12 PM ET

Dakkster's avatar

What the…? Dater actually conceded in an Avs/Wings rivalry piece? Has hell frozen over?

Posted by Dakkster from Southern Sweden on 11/12/12 at 08:16 PM ET

gowings's avatar

Yep…I might be bias…..but common!!! It got to be Wonder boy of course!!!!!!!!! Go 19 smile

Posted by gowings from MTL on 11/12/12 at 08:32 PM ET

I’d take Bryan Trottier over both of them. Just watched the 1983 NHL All-Star Game on Vault this afternoon, and the Wales’ first line was Mike Bossy and Bryan Trottier centered by Ron Francis, the Islanders were so good at the time that Ron Francis, although a deserved Hall Of Famer, wasn’t even the best player on that line, nor did he have a better career.

Don’t get me wrong, I have a ton of respect for both Steve Yzerman and Joe Sakic. In fact, Yzerman was my favorite NHL player in my teenage years. I think Sakic was more slippery than Yzerman, which is a huge statement. I think Yzerman was tougher than Sakic, which is also a big statement. Both were great on breakaways, both were highly responsible at both ends of the ice, and both came onto, to put it quite simply, horrible teams, and they are each the key cog for the reason that both teams went on to become great.

If I’m building a team and I have to choose between Yzerman and Sakic, I’d have to know if my Left Wingers are stronger, or my Right Wingers are stronger. If my LWs are stronger, I’ll go with Yzerman. If my RW’s are stronger, I’ll go with Sakic. These two players are that close.

Posted by Bauer Warrior on 11/12/12 at 08:35 PM ET

I think the thing that annoys me the most about the lockout is that it doesn’t also apply to hockey writers.

Posted by HockeyinHD on 11/12/12 at 08:40 PM ET

John's avatar

Amen.

Posted by John from Pittsburgh, PA (Wings fan for life!) on 11/12/12 at 11:21 PM ET

NIVO's avatar

LOL HD, something has to stir the pot, eh?

Posted by NIVO from underpants gnome village on 11/13/12 at 12:12 AM ET

Vladimir16's avatar

Posted by HockeyinHD on 11/12/12 at 07:40 PM ET

Hahahaha…. Troof.

All I have to say is: Give it up already, Adrian. Give it up.

Posted by Vladimir16 from Grand River Valley on 11/13/12 at 09:24 AM ET

I agree with the original 19 - Trottier. Big fan of all the 19’s at center, but some small solace for Wing fans, he was Stevie Ys inspiration as well.

Posted by hockey1919 from mid-atlantic on 11/13/12 at 11:45 AM ET

Yzerman.  And Sakic is equally wondrous, but I grew up watching Yzerman longer and rooted for him harder.

Sakic is my favorite player NOT in a Wings sweater.

Posted by SYF from the team that re-signed KFQ and DFC by KFH on 11/13/12 at 12:31 PM ET

mrfluffy's avatar

I’m surprised Dater didn’t write “Soooooooooooooouper Joe!”.

Oh…heh…sorry…channeling Mike Haynes. One Denver stooge is the same as another, no?

Posted by mrfluffy from A wide spot on I-90 in Montana on 11/13/12 at 12:57 PM ET