The Malik Report

Your Opinion Of Detroit Against Chicago

The next round, against Chicago, may be a lot tougher. The top-seeded Blackhawks are the darlings of the 2013 season, they are rested, they are deep, they are experienced, and they are really good.

And these are still the Wings. Criticize them all you want, but count them out at your own risk.

That's from Mitch Albom of the Detroit Free Press where you can read more on last night's game but my question to you is, what kind of chance are you giving the Wings against the Chicago Blackhawks?

Filed in: | The Malik Report | Permalink

Comments

1 2 3 >       Next »

SuperMatt75's avatar

Hawks in 6.  But damn would it be beautiful to see Wings in 7.  Bert and Sammy would have to get back to 100%, Fil and Cleary would have to start scoring like top 6 forwards, we’d have to eliminate enought 3-4 mistakes each game, and Howard will have to steal at least 1.

Doable, but unlikely.  Either way I’m enjoying the hell out of this postseason!

Posted by SuperMatt75 from the cool side of the pillow on 05/13/13 at 11:17 AM ET

SuperMatt75's avatar

enought = another

Posted by SuperMatt75 from the cool side of the pillow on 05/13/13 at 11:18 AM ET

“Still the Wings.”

I had Shania Twain’s “Still the One” in my head reading this article.

:groans;

Posted by SYF from The Revenge of Johnny E on 05/13/13 at 11:20 AM ET

SnLO's avatar

I had Shania Twain’s “Still the One” in my head

thanks for putting it in my head now too(sarcasm voice)
<groans>

Posted by SnLO from beyond the M-1 on 05/13/13 at 11:23 AM ET

Shania Twain’s hot (her “If You’re Not in For Love” is her hottest vid ever).  I like her, but Delicate Genius’ feeble attempt to create an emotion with that one repetitive phrase just made it inevitable.

And to answer your query, Paul:  like the last series, I’m just thrilled that the Wings made it this far.  They’re gonna thrill us and make us go nuts with their turnovers like always, but after what these kids put up with just this past series, they’re believing in themselves.  It’s a bit different now.  They’re facing a team with more skill in two players (Toews and Seabrook) than the entire DuhUcks team put together.

No predictions here.  One game at a time.

Posted by SYF from The Revenge of Johnny E on 05/13/13 at 11:30 AM ET

Rdwings28's avatar

I have been singing the Hallelujah chorus. Cant get it out of my head. Started around 12:50 am

Posted by Rdwings28 on 05/13/13 at 11:30 AM ET

Even as a Wings fan, I gotta say Hawks in 6. Too deep and too experienced. But NHL finally gave us a gift with 2 days off before Games 1 AND 2. Very helpful. I say the Wings are tied in the series 2-2 before experience and lack of home ice catches up to us.

On the otherhand, if Toews or Kane should get Kronwalled…. wink

Posted by CJBear71 on 05/13/13 at 11:31 AM ET

The one guy who needs a Kronwalling (and in the worst way) is that sexist jerk, Duncan Keith.

Posted by SYF from The Revenge of Johnny E on 05/13/13 at 11:32 AM ET

I don’t like our odds of winning, but I’m not going to be shocked if we pull the upset either. We honestly should’ve won at least 2 of the regular season games, maybe 3 of the 4. We played them tight, and it’s a rivalry, and we’re playing better now than we have all year…with Jimmy playing well and if our forwards can stay hot and getting contributions up and down the lineup, we have a decent shot. I’ll…hm, it’s hard for me to pick the Hawks in 6 because I don’t see our guys losing at home to end the year after we’ve played so well, but Hawks in 5 feels too generous. No idea, so I’ll guess it ends in 7.

Posted by Marisabel on 05/13/13 at 11:37 AM ET

bezukov's avatar

As a wings fan I’m just happy to be here.  If the Wings can force a game six against the Hawks…. ecstatic.  If they beat them?... well then there is no reason to doubt that they can make the SCF.

LGRW!

Posted by bezukov from the kids are alright. on 05/13/13 at 11:39 AM ET

And I like Hossa as well; I’m just sad he calls $0.20 a teammate.

Posted by SYF from The Revenge of Johnny E on 05/13/13 at 11:40 AM ET

bezukov's avatar

Posted by Marisabel on 05/13/13 at 12:37 PM ET

As George has been quick to point out:  The Hawks don’t have the luxury of the skills competition in this series.  They’ll have to win outright.  OT could be a factor in this series, and this past series made it hard to hate the Wings chances at the end of regulation.

Posted by bezukov from the kids are alright. on 05/13/13 at 11:41 AM ET

Zqto's avatar

I would like to say 50/50

But I’ll go ahead and say 80/20 in favor of the Wings, cause they are that good!

Posted by Zqto on 05/13/13 at 11:42 AM ET

PaulinMiamiBeach's avatar

I think the Wings are playing much better than they were when they took the Hawks to 3 overtimes in the regular season.

they also have the benefit of confidence on their side now, having just won a game 7 on the road.

steal one in Chicago and it’s gonna be another helluva series.  if Chicago wins both in Chicago, they probably win one in Detroit too…and it’s a 5 game series.

Posted by PaulinMiamiBeach on 05/13/13 at 11:46 AM ET

Alan's avatar

My opinion? Chelsea Dagger is a horrible song.

Posted by Alan from Atlanta on 05/13/13 at 11:50 AM ET

Zqto's avatar

Tip the first hat to Mike Babcock. The coach made a surprising move Sunday, breaking up his Superman/Batman lineup of Zetterberg and Datsyuk

OMG, that was golden…  HAHAHAHA

Pavs is Superman, dazzling and aweing everyone… Whie Zets is Batman, working in the dark (corners) and doing the hard work no one wants!

The nerd inside me likes this way more than I should!
lol

Posted by Zqto on 05/13/13 at 11:52 AM ET

Red Winger's avatar

Hawks in 6, though it pains me to say

Posted by Red Winger from Sault Ste Marie on 05/13/13 at 12:07 PM ET

If Howard is a .911 guy in round 2 like he was in round 1 the Wings will get swept or maybe, mayyyybe, lose in 5.

If Howard is a .920 guy in round 2 the Wings will lose in 5 or 6, probably 6.

If Howard is a .930 guy in round 2 Detroit has a real shot at winning.

As a point of comparison, 8 primary starters in round 1 managed a .930 or higher.  Anderson, Crawford, Quick, Holtby, Lundqvist, Niemi, Reimer, Rask.

Posted by HockeyinHD on 05/13/13 at 12:09 PM ET

Red Winger's avatar

Still the Wings. Detroit is moving on in these playoffs, despite being a No. 7 seed, despite being as young as a nest of chicks

“too old”

“too young”

“too youngish-old”

“too oldish-young”

The media just never get it

Posted by Red Winger from Sault Ste Marie on 05/13/13 at 12:12 PM ET

topshelf14's avatar

The Wings could of ended the Hawks unbeaten streak when Quincey decided to take out his 9 iron instead of his hockey stick.  It seems slowly these mental mistakes are becoming fewer and fewer as each game passes.  With that said it will take an almost perfect series for the Wings to defeat this team. The Hawks are deep up front, deep on the blue line, and solid in net.  I think the only way we win is by getting under there skin early and often, frustrate them into taking dumb penalties and making them pay. Wings in 7.

Posted by topshelf14 from Detroit, MI on 05/13/13 at 12:14 PM ET

CaptainDennisPolonich's avatar

This could be the most only intelligent comment the Delicate Genius has written about hockey in 15 years.

Posted by CaptainDennisPolonich from The Land of Fake Boobs and Real Nuts on 05/13/13 at 12:17 PM ET

SK77's avatar

Posted by HockeyinHD on 05/13/13 at 01:09 PM ET

Yeah yeah, yeah yeah.

Don’t forget that Hiller had better stats than Howard across the board.

Posted by SK77 on 05/13/13 at 12:17 PM ET

MoreShoot's avatar

Here here.

I’m encouraged by the way our d moved the puck in the last two games.  Being able to play this series more around center ice or in their zone will help immensely.  I actually think the chances of going 6 are fairly good.  3 things that make me feel good about the series:

1. Hank has been great.
2. Coach Q has sucked against Detroit in the playoffs forever
3. Detroit seems to be doing a decent job of not repeating their mistakes, projecting upward in their play, and they’ve been resilient as hell.

Posted by MoreShoot on 05/13/13 at 12:23 PM ET

NIVO's avatar

I like the Wings chances in this series against CHI. We are a better team for having played a tight series. CHI series was almost a cakewalk. Definitely not the same team we were in the regular season, and we are much, much stronger. If we go down, we go down swinging. These young guys have now had a taste of what it takes and they like the flavor. As crazy as it sounds, the odds now are closer than what they were before we played the Fowl. I’m proud of this team, and we have lots to look forward to.

Posted by NIVO from underpants gnome village on 05/13/13 at 12:25 PM ET

CaptainDennisPolonich's avatar

Posted by bezukov from the kids are alright. on 05/13/13 at 12:41 PM ET

Based on what I saw last night, no one wants it more than Buckets and Z. And it looked like it was contagious to the rest of the team. It sounds like a cliche, but it’s true, the team that wanted it more last night won. If the Wings can bottle their game 7 desire and work ethic (puck luck, too, wouldn’t hurt), they can beat the Hawks.

I want a split in Chi town, but win game two, not game one. A game one loss for the hawks is a wake up call. A game one win for the hawks plays into the narrative that they are the better team and will breed complacency.

Rummy made a great observation last night. For years decades, the Wings were the higher seeded team that played down to their competition. For once against the Ducks, it was the other way around. The same thing needs to happen in round 2. A game one blowout loss would have Kane and others looking forward to the next round. If the Wings unfortunately lose game one, it could turn out to be the best thing for them to win the series.

Posted by CaptainDennisPolonich from The Land of Fake Boobs and Real Nuts on 05/13/13 at 12:28 PM ET

calquake's avatar

Hard to argue with that viewpoint.

Posted by calquake on 05/13/13 at 12:28 PM ET

CaptainDennisPolonich's avatar

Is there any chance of DeKeyser coming back this series?

Posted by CaptainDennisPolonich from The Land of Fake Boobs and Real Nuts on 05/13/13 at 12:36 PM ET

Yeah yeah, yeah yeah.

Don’t forget that Hiller had better stats than Howard across the board.

Obviously.  And since Chicago > Anaheim, and in my opinion significantly >, if that goalie comparison holds constant Detroit’s going to get pounded.  I mean, Harding put up a .911 in round 1 against Chicago and Minnesota… lost in 5.  Hey, what a kowinky-dink.

I think Howard’s got to be at a consistently high playoff level of performance in round 2 , the level 8 guys managed to hit in round 1, in order for Detroit to have any shot at winning.

If all he’s got is what he’s shown, if this is his playoff ceiling, Detroit’s doomed this year.  Chicago’s going to put up 3-3.5 goals a night against Detroit if Howard doesn’t up his game, just like Chicago put up 3.4 a night against Minny in round 1, and Detroit sure as shinola isn’t going to be scoring 4 a night on #1 defense in the NHL Chicago when they only managed 2.57 against #9 in the NHL Anaheim..

This isn’t a ‘Howard sucks’ thing.  It’s a ‘Howard has to be better’ thing.  Being right at the cutoff for the bottom third of GA and sv% in round 2 like he was in round 1 isn’t going to be enough to get Detroit to round 3.  Nowhere close.

Posted by HockeyinHD on 05/13/13 at 12:37 PM ET

Paul's avatar

Is there any chance of DeKeyser coming back this series?

Posted by CaptainDennisPolonich from Warm and sunny SoCal on 05/13/13 at 01:36 PM ET

Nope, had surgery, permanent screws inserted, 6 week recovery.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 05/13/13 at 12:42 PM ET

Nope, had surgery, permanent screws inserted, 6 week recovery.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 05/13/13 at 01:42 PM ET

Screws?  What?

Posted by SYF from The Revenge of Johnny E on 05/13/13 at 12:47 PM ET

Paul's avatar

About DeKeyser’s surgery.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 05/13/13 at 12:50 PM ET

CaptainDennisPolonich's avatar

About DeKeyser’s surgery.
Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 05/13/13 at 01:50 PM ET

Detroit Red Wings defenseman Danny DeKeyser has undergone surgery and will be out until development camp in July, in all likelihood.

So you’re telling me there’s a chance…YEAH!

Posted by CaptainDennisPolonich from The Land of Fake Boobs and Real Nuts on 05/13/13 at 12:58 PM ET

PaulinMiamiBeach's avatar

Holland said there’s a small chance DeKeyser could play if the Wings should advance to the Stanley Cup Finals, but, “let’s get there first,’ Holland said.

young guys heal quickly.

what bugs me is having a permanent plate and screws in his thumb could affect his ability to stick handle.  ugh.

Posted by PaulinMiamiBeach on 05/13/13 at 12:58 PM ET

PaulinMiamiBeach's avatar

thanks for the info George. I just tweeted that you said DeKeyser will be back for the Finals…

Posted by PaulinMiamiBeach on 05/13/13 at 01:02 PM ET

This coming from the sonuvabitch who kept saying, “I like our team,” and “Having those guys back would be like a deadline acquisition,” while we were about turn him over to the Inquisition.

Posted by SYF from The Revenge of Johnny E on 05/13/13 at 01:09 PM ET

George Malik's avatar

Ken Holland said it and Paul related it to you, not me.

Posted by George Malik from South Lyon, MI on 05/13/13 at 01:10 PM ET

TKShreve's avatar

I see it like this.

First, Detroit was working with a plethora of moving parts all season long. Through injury, recalls and line swapping I think Babs & Co. finally understood who/what they were dealing with.

Second, as the season winded down the Wings quickly realized they were a bubble team and found the necessary stones to put together their first 4-game win streak of the season to squeak into the playoffs (which completed a short list of to-do’s for many Wings fans - rightfully so). Mind you they played against hit-and-miss teams, but it was intense, mind bending competitive hockey. And they stepped it up. Cuz they needed every ounce of it to get here.

Third, they came into the first round with a little steam, but I think a lot of fans were quick to say if they dropped the series, it would have been understandable - followed by the “they did everything asked of them this season” line. I was right there - cannot lie. Every puck battle mattered though. Every loosey-goosey shot on net made a difference. Every hit, block and face off was responsible for the Wings eeking out that barnburner of a series. As much as people say the Ducks were over rated, they had terrific success for extended periods this season. It was a great series. Could have gone either way.

Fourth - They have shown a continuous upward trend to their season. They are stepping up for each and every challenge. I like this. Just in time for a huge series. Datsyuk, Z and Jimmie have been astounding. They are playing the best hockey of their season right now. Couldn’t pick a better time. Can they continue to improve?

Fifth (and last) - It’s Chicago. The last time we’ll see them in the conference playoff race. I think the Wings are ready for the challenge (roster matchups be damned). It’s the Hawks people. We’re not playing the #1 seed. We’re not playing the best overall group in the NHL. We’re playing the next team in our way to the cup. That’s my mindset.

Excuse me for being Mr. Optimistic. I like out chances. Wings in 5.

Posted by TKShreve from East Uptown on 05/13/13 at 01:17 PM ET

Nathan's avatar

Posted by HockeyinHD on 05/13/13 at 01:09 PM ET

In Howard’s defense, he faced a lot more rubber than most of the guys that have posted superior SV%s.

On this series though? It’s going to take an absurd Howard performance (like Roloson or Kipper did to the Wings) for the Wings to win this. Pains me to say it, but Chicago is better at every position except maybe #1 center and goalie, and deeper at every position except maybe #5/#6 d-men, hah.

Posted by Nathan from the scoresheet! on 05/13/13 at 01:17 PM ET

BC's avatar

“too old”

“too young”

“too youngish-old”

“too oldish-young”

Posted by Red Winger from Sault Ste Marie on 05/13/13 at 01:12 PM ET

Dang you!  Now I have a Rammstein song in my head.

Posted by BC on 05/13/13 at 01:26 PM ET

MoreShoot's avatar

Oh, yeah, the other thing I like for Detroit in this series is that they get optimal rest, while the Hawks have been sitting around. Always hates sitting around in playoffs past.

Posted by MoreShoot on 05/13/13 at 01:28 PM ET