The Malik Report

Yo Dawg, I Fixed Your Glass With This Plywood?

I don't know what to say about this. It is...remarkable. With 14:11 left in the 3rd period, the Florida Panthers lost a pane of glass behind Jimmy Howard, and they replaced it with...Plywood?

EDIT: It's glass, but the rink crew left the backing on it. Charming. Stopped the game to put it up but didn't stop the game to give the fans a view.

Update:

Update #2: Here's the Panthers' official explanation, per the Miami Herald's George Richards:

The 'plywood' was actually a piece of plexiglass with its protective backing still affixed.

According to a Panthers spokesman, the original piece of replacement glass broke on its way to the ice and the 'third string' piece wasn't fully ready to go.

Another piece - minus the paper backing - was put up before the overtime.

Filed in: | The Malik Report | Permalink

Comments

Luongo-is-my-hero's avatar

Just the tip of whats wrong with the panthers organization.  Way to alienate all your “highest” paying fans by blocking their entire view for more than half of the 3rd period.

Posted by Luongo-is-my-hero on 12/10/13 at 10:59 PM ET

awould's avatar

I’m sure there were plenty of other seats they could choose from.

My question is, how is that allowed by the NHL? Bush League.

Posted by awould on 12/11/13 at 12:11 AM ET

Bent's avatar

How long does it take to remove the backing?  All of two seconds?  I am at a loss on why they did that.

Posted by Bent from The U.P. on 12/11/13 at 12:11 AM ET

I guess it takes less time to take the backing off, than for some to figure out it isn’t plywood.

Posted by timbits on 12/11/13 at 12:24 AM ET

George Malik's avatar

Twenty minutes, more or less, in both instances.

Posted by George Malik from South Lyon, MI on 12/11/13 at 12:28 AM ET

The Meal's avatar

That Tanner Glass tweet is inspired.

Posted by The Meal on 12/11/13 at 08:38 AM ET

redxblack's avatar

Peeling a protective film takes no time at all. I almost wonder if they have old pieces of used glass that they’re instructed to use first and didn’t want to crack open a new piece before using the old stock. I can’t think of a situation where it doesn’t make sense to peel the backing.

Posted by redxblack from Akron Ohio on 12/11/13 at 09:04 AM ET