The Malik Report

Yes, Red Wings forward Daniel Alfredsson said that if he continues his career, he’ll remain a Wing

I apolgize for being a little late to the party on this one, but I was having fun fun fun anxiety attacks today, so here's what Daniel Alfredsson had to say about his playing future, as noted by DetroitRedWings.com's Bill Roose (he's going to wait and decide after the season, but if he continues to play, he will continue to play in Detroit):

“I’ve gone through this the last two years,” Alfredsson said. “I’ve talked to other players before. The consensus I get is play as long as you can, pretty much from everyone. If you feel you still have the energy and desire definitely continue as long as you can. That’s been the common theme.”

In his 18th season, and his first with the Red Wings, Alfredsson has experienced an up-and-down run in Detroit. Despite a sore groin and back spasms that  forced him to miss a dozen game, Alfredsson ranks fourth in team scoring with 14 goals and 37 points for a team that is fighting for a playoff spot.

“We’ve had a challenging season as a team, going through a lot of different adversity but I think that’s something that builds character for the team as well,” said Alfredsson, 41. “We’ve all seen how good a lot of the young guys who’ve gotten an opportunity to play and thrived in that situation, and for me personally, it was a big change moving and it took a little bit to get accustomed to everything, for it to feel natural coming to the rink but I feel very welcomed and thoroughly enjoyed my time here. As far as everything around the city I have no questions about my future here. If my body and mind tells me there’s more to give, I would definitely look forward to an opportunity to come back.”

Alfredsson says that the only issue possibly stopping him from continuing to play, health aside, involves the time he has to take away from his family:

“It takes a lot of sacrifice. The toughest part I find is the travel, being away from the family as much as we are,” he said. “I’m very fortunate as well to have a great wife that’s very understanding and supportive. But then I love the game. I love to come to practice, love everything about what we do. I know when I retire I’m going to miss a lot of it. So that’s also a factor.”

Filed in: | The Malik Report | Permalink

Comments

w2j2's avatar

Alfie is a real important member of this team, and a great role model for the younger players.  I hope he continues to play for several more years.

Posted by w2j2 on 03/08/14 at 08:24 AM ET

Burr87's avatar

Sure why not? Another aged veteran to take the place of another prospect who could actually help this team. It was a mistake to sign him in the first place, to do it again would be pure stupidity. I wonder how much Alfie enjoy’s being one of Bab’s grinders?

Posted by Burr87 on 03/08/14 at 01:11 PM ET

Tracy from T-Town Hockey 's avatar

Personally, I thimk he’ll resign.  He came to Detroit because we had a better chance at winning the cup.  With all the injuries this year, we have not been that team.  I bet he’ll give it a go next year just to see what could happen if we stay healthy. A big IF!

Posted by Tracy from T-Town Hockey on 03/08/14 at 01:14 PM ET

@Burr87- please tell me you are not lumping Alfredsson in with aged veterans like Cleary, Bert and Samuelsson ? I can’t say what he does or doesn’t mean in the room, but he is outscoring all three of those players combined this year. He is still productive even if he isn’t the Alfie of old.

Posted by mc keeper on 03/08/14 at 01:44 PM ET

What prospects aren’t getting a shot because of Alfredsson?  How can you pretend that he’s not helping the team?

How is it bad to have proven NHL scorers, as well as talented youngsters, helping to give the Wings offensive depth for the first time since 2009-2010?

Posted by Garth on 03/08/14 at 02:09 PM ET

EDJ's avatar

Alfredsson brings a lot to the table. I wouldn’t put him in the same category as Cleary or Samuelsson by any means.

Alfredsson plays smart, skates well, doesn’t make a lot of defensive mistakes, and is a right shot that immensely helps the power play. He puts up points too, and you can put him anywhere on the team without worrying about him slowing down his teammates like Holmstrom is his last couple seasons. He’s not just a power play specialist. He’s still a scorer, and a more than decent one, not a grinder.

Beyond actually playing hockey, which he does a fine job of, he’s obviously a leader, having captained Ottawa for so many years.

The only problem I have is that he might be a little overpaid. But I don’t know if that will be a problem next season with Samuelsson and Cleary’s contracts off the books and no one in line for a huge raise. That is, unless the cap doesn’t go up as much as everyone expected to because of the Canadian dollar.

Posted by EDJ on 03/08/14 at 02:41 PM ET

silversailer's avatar

@Burr87 you would really want to get rid of the 3rd best point producer just because he’s old? People don’t hate Cleary and Bert because they are old, they hate having them on the team because they don’t put up the points that a younger guy could. That’s obviously not the case with Alfie, as he’s still producing more than or equal to what a younger player could

Posted by silversailer on 03/08/14 at 03:05 PM ET

I don’t know how one cannot see how productive Alfie’s been vis a vis Bert, Sammy, and Bucktkets.  He’s ‘zactly the kind of steady veteran presence the Wings sorely need for the influx of young kids when Zata, Dangles, and Helm are out.  Kronner may lead this team in the absences of the Euro Twins, but Alfie’s been remarkably consistent and steady.

Bert, Sammy, Bucktets, and, possibly, Tootoo are probably not going to re-sign with the Wings, but I sure as hell hope they re-sign Alfie and Legwand.  Maybe we’ll see more of the kids coming up next season like Callahan, Ferraro, and Pulkinnen and we’d probably still have a remarkable amount of cap space available should the cap space jump to $68 million.

Posted by SYF from the team that re-signed KFQ and DFC by KFH on 03/08/14 at 03:29 PM ET