The Malik Report

Wrapping Up The Zetterberg Talk

.. or at least until George gets online...

from Ansar Khan of Mlive,

He has not been given a more specific timeline for a return.

“It is too soon; you take it day by day,” Zetterberg said. “You just get stronger and better every day. The only timeline we have is that eight weeks before contact. After that, just got to re-evaluate and hopefully I’m good enough to do some contact drills and we’ll see how fast it goes.”

Zetterberg, who has dealt with back issues for several years, said it’s difficult to explain what he was going through to anyone who hasn’t experienced it.

from Chuck Pleiness of Red Wings Front,

“I’ve never saw or felt that before,” Zetterberg said. “When I was lying there in Russia, I knew what Bert went through. It was tough. It was hard. The first 3-4 days was not good at all, but after that we found a way to make things better. I think maybe day five or six it happened, I kind of turned the corner and finally felt good enough to fly.”

There is still no timetable yet on when he’ll be back on the ice skating.

“I’ve been moving a lot more the last two weeks,” Zetterberg said. “I’ve just got to take it step-by-step and so far no hiccups. It’s just got to stay that way.”

Basically everything is on schedule.  If no setbacks before the eight week period, next step is contact drills and see how it goes.

added 2:35pm, Watch Zetterberg meeting with the media below...

Filed in: | The Malik Report | Permalink

Comments

TreKronor's avatar

It’s promising that there haven’t been setbacks, but I would imagine that if there are setbacks they will rear their head once he starts skating and trying to work out.

Right, 43?

Posted by TreKronor on 03/26/14 at 01:24 PM ET

Bert has never been the same player after his back surgery. I am curious if there have been any cases when the players were as good as new after a back surgery when you are after 30? I sure hope Z will be back to full strength, but I am worried.

Posted by VPalmer on 03/26/14 at 01:48 PM ET

Bert has never been the same player after his back surgery.

There are a lot of things that contributed to Bert not being the same player anymore…

Posted by Garth on 03/26/14 at 02:46 PM ET

Jason Spezza had this same surgery last year and is producing at a comparable level this season.  He’s close to Zetterberg’s age and should be more comparable than Bert.

Posted by captaineclectic on 03/26/14 at 02:58 PM ET

Gary A$$ SUCK !!'s avatar

I wish they could shut him down for this season and focus on the next one, and let him heal slowly..and come back healthy,hungry and strong for the next season..
LGRW

Posted by Gary A$$ SUCK !! from Fort Myers, Florida on 03/26/14 at 03:14 PM ET

MurrayChadwick's avatar

Shut him down, he’s signed long term need him healthy, this defense is not winning a cup no matter who plays infront of them.

Posted by MurrayChadwick on 03/26/14 at 03:24 PM ET

It’s really sad to see fellow Red Wings fans who want the team to quit.

Posted by captaineclectic on 03/26/14 at 03:27 PM ET

If Zetterberg feels healthy enough to play, what good would shutting him down do?

And I’ll reiterate a point I made a few weeks ago.  This defense was an overtime goal away from beating the eventual Stanley Cup champions last year and there’s nobody in the East that is as good as the Hawks were last year.

Once the playoffs start, all bets are off.  This defense almost beat the Hawks (and maybe they could have if the zebra didn’t ignore a play that should’ve been penalized, leading to the game winning goal), they have the potential to be able to beat anyone in the East.

Posted by Garth on 03/26/14 at 03:49 PM ET

Primis's avatar

It’s really sad to see fellow Red Wings fans who want the team to quit.

Posted by captaineclectic on 03/26/14 at 04:27 PM ET

You must really hate watching Kyle Quincey give up game after game…

Posted by Primis on 03/26/14 at 03:53 PM ET

MoreShoot's avatar

If Pav comes back suitably well and Ericsson is rested then I wholeheartedly agree. Bruins are quite good, but leading scorer is a rookie. Pens are all about the front end so far and MAF has been a playoff disaster since 09.

Posted by MoreShoot on 03/26/14 at 04:37 PM ET

MurrayChadwick's avatar

That was with a healthy Zetterberg and Datsyuk and without 6 kids in the lineup.  Hank and Pav are coming off months on IR and injury.  We no longer have Flippula and Cleary who while were shoed out of town, Flippula was a good defensive presence on this team that is missed, it was his offense that was spotty, and Cleary (while he’s broken and should’ve been let to sign with Philly) was actually a beast in the playoffs, and stood up to Bickel toe to toe.

The kids have been great, but like you said Once the playoffs start, all bets are off, I agree and that’s when you’ll see the simple defensive gaffes that our youth makes bite us in the hind end.

Posted by MurrayChadwick on 03/26/14 at 05:49 PM ET

shanetx's avatar

Brendan Smith, Gustav Nyquist, Tomas Tatar, Damien Brunner, Joakin Andersson were all in their first season in the NHL.  So, only five kids.

Posted by shanetx from Floydada, Texas on 03/26/14 at 08:17 PM ET

Figaro's avatar

If he wasn’t wearing the C, sure shut him down.  But Captain Hank will never let them shut him down.  Unfortunately, the “If you can stand and breathe at the same time, you’re playing” clause was put in during the Yzerman era for Wings captains.

Posted by Figaro from Los Alamos, NM on 03/26/14 at 08:37 PM ET

Datsyuk is skating and this very thread is about the possibility of Zetterberg coming back in the playoffs.

Getting Zetterberg, Datsyuk, Abdelkader, Ericsson and maybe Weiss back would significantly reduce the number of kids that would be in the lineup, with possibly the only new face being the AHL playoff MVP from last year…

I didn’t suggest that Detroit was going to win the Cup without getting some of their injured guys back I was specifically responding to the comment about the defense.

Posted by Garth on 03/26/14 at 09:59 PM ET

Gary A$$ SUCK !!'s avatar

If Zetterberg is feeling 100% healthy, yes I would Love to have him back..but I don’t think they need to rush him back. I have not giving up on this team for a playoff spot..I think they will make the playoff..and I’m very impressed in some of the new kids,I believe they can take this team far.?
L.G.R.W.  cool smile

Posted by Gary A$$ SUCK !! from Fort Myers, Florida on 03/27/14 at 01:54 AM ET

TheFreak's avatar

Probably some smoke and mirrors stuff going on here. A PR move to get fans anxious about Z, but when times comes for returning, there will be a set back. Or in the event of not making the playoffs, no need to worry anyway. Same goes for Pav.

Posted by TheFreak on 03/27/14 at 10:35 AM ET

Just get into the playoffs.  The team proved last year they’re not the same once the second season starts.  We took the Cawks to seven games and just scared the living shit outta the fools (Hammer Meet Nail) in Shitcago.

Posted by SYF from Alana Blanchard's Bikinis and Surfboards on 03/27/14 at 12:49 PM ET

And man, that’s an epic mountain Viking beard Zata’s sporting there.

Posted by SYF from Alana Blanchard's Bikinis and Surfboards on 03/27/14 at 12:50 PM ET