The Malik Report

Wrapping Uo The Winter Classic

Katie Baker of Grantland wraps up the Winter Classic,

They arrived in waddling droves, bundled in their winter warmest so that they all looked twice their size. They hopped off yellow school buses and emerged from SUVs dusty with salt and snow and trudged toward a college football stadium, in the heart of bowl season, for a professional hockey game.

These hundred thousand hockey fans had waited almost two full years to make this walk. The NHL first announced in February 2012 that the next Winter Classic would feature the Detroit Red Wings and the Toronto Maple Leafs at Michigan Stadium in Ann Arbor. In November of that same year — thanks to the lockout — the league's much-trumpeted event was officially postponed.

But that all seemed like a distant memory on a cold and snowy New Year's Day that Detroit coach Mike Babcock, even in defeat, would later call "a home run for hockey." Before a reported 105,491 in attendance and beneath photogenically inclement conditions, the Maple Leafs edged the Red Wings in a shootout, 3-2.

continued

FYI, George is taking care of getting a rental car, checking on the repair of his car after sliding into a ditch yesteday while driving to the Winter Classic.

He will return tomorrow.

Filed in: | The Malik Report | Permalink

Comments

HockeytownOverhaul's avatar

Bad WC luck around Paul.  Read about George yeaterday and ten minutes on the road on ky way to watch the game at a buddiea and mu fiance and I were barrelled onto by some ypung girl txting.  Destroyee the back of the car.  No one hurt and made a near by bar to catch the second and thirs.  Crazy start to the year eh?

Posted by HockeytownOverhaul on 01/02/14 at 01:37 PM ET

Paul's avatar

Sorry to hear that HTO, but as I told George, as long as you are Ok, the other stuff can be fixed

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 01/02/14 at 01:41 PM ET

George Malik's avatar

I know how you feel HTO. I’m glad that you’re okay.

Posted by George Malik from South Lyon, MI on 01/02/14 at 03:31 PM ET

Glad that everyone’s safe and home.  Glad you guys are back.

Posted by SYF from Zata's Epic Viking Beard on 01/02/14 at 03:37 PM ET

Tuba Guy's avatar

That was George in the ditch?  I would have stopped, had Is known.

Posted by Tuba Guy from Royal Oak, MI on 01/02/14 at 04:08 PM ET

HockeytownOverhaul's avatar

Thanks fellas.  True story Paul though my neck and shoulders feel like hammered shit today.  Glad we got snowed out at work.  Would feel better if wed have won.

Posted by HockeytownOverhaul on 01/02/14 at 04:22 PM ET

Just for you, HTO you schmuck, Isla Fisher.

Posted by SYF from Zata's Epic Viking Beard on 01/02/14 at 04:49 PM ET

HockeytownOverhaul's avatar

You lil Pino, its like youre in my head.  Worthy.

Posted by HockeytownOverhaul on 01/02/14 at 04:56 PM ET