The Malik Report

Would You Boo Kenny?

via Michael J. Happy of FoxSports Detroit,

On Sunday at Ford Field, not far from the Red Wings' home at Joe Louis Arena, Holland was booed by many of the 65,000 fans attending the Lions-Bears game.

He didn't fumble or throw an interception for the Lions, either. All it took for fans to let him have it was a big-screen image of him sitting in a stadium suite and smiling for the camera during a timeout....

Up until recently, Holland's success and amicable personality made him a beloved figure in Detroit.

Now fans are booing him, even though he's really just a middle-man caught in the dispute between the players and owners.

Filed in: | The Malik Report | Permalink

Comments

Hockey fans are frustrated right now. Anybody from either side would have received a mixed reaction. Don’t make more of this than it is.

Also, I’m calling shenannigans on the name “Michael J. Happy”. Someone made that up last night after some New Years Eve cheer.

Posted by mc keeper on 01/01/13 at 11:27 AM ET

mrfluffy's avatar

Also given the fact that Kenny’s signings over the past few years have been underwhelming and the results have shown it…

Posted by mrfluffy from A wide spot on I-90 in Montana on 01/01/13 at 11:32 AM ET

I’d boo him for our roster this year.

Posted by AppState on 01/01/13 at 12:12 PM ET

Down River Dan's avatar

The people booing Holland and his perceived lack of results were attending a game of a team which just wrapped up a 4 win 12 loss season. Those same idiots were watching attending a game of a team which has won 2 playoff games in the past 40 + years, and hasn’t won a championship in 55 + years….???? I’m guessing most booing were drunk, because why else would you pay money to attend a Lions game.

Also, as it appears we are close to a resolution of the lockout, how many of these same booing idiots are gonna boo Holland when the salary cap imposed by the new labor agreement will have most of the teams spending like drunken sailors ( no offense Chief)  the past year scrambling to fill out their rosters while staying under the cap. It appears to me that once again Holland was crazy like a fox during the free agency period.

Lions fans booing the redwings…..that’s funny.

Posted by Down River Dan on 01/01/13 at 12:52 PM ET

Lions fans booing the redwings…..that’s funny.

Maybe they’re booing because they’re Red Wings fans and they can’t go to a Red Wings game so they have to go to a Lions game.

Posted by Garth on 01/01/13 at 01:11 PM ET

Booing Tick Tock just because he’s the face of NHL management is drunkenly, patently dumb.

Posted by SYF from Alana Blanchard's Bikinis and Surfboards on 01/01/13 at 01:12 PM ET

perfection's avatar

obviously booing Kenny is dumb… with that said, I definitely empathize with the frustration of those fans and at this point, it’s gotta come out somewhere. They would have booed Illitch too and he’s more beloved than just about anyone in the city. While it’s neither Holland or Illitch’s fault (I’d bet Illitch is about as far from a “hardliner” is there is in NHL ownership), this needs to get done and get done fast or booing Holland will be the least of the club’s worries.

My guess is Holland was not surprised and did not wonder where their frustration came from. This has become a total mess.

Posted by perfection from LaLaLand on 01/01/13 at 03:01 PM ET

Booing Holland is dumb, but also completely meaningless.  It’s a little funny to have the 65 thousand fans showing up to a soon-to-be 4-12 team that hasn’t won anything in 50 years booing someone from a team that’s won a lot, but I get the general sentiment.

Personally, I would have killed for a few years worth of lockouts back in the Millen Era.

I would be curious to find out how many years he ran either of his franchises at a loss.  That guy would have to shoot someone in the face to shake public opinion.  Success really does make everything better.

Posted by HockeyinHD on 01/01/13 at 04:22 PM ET

Bugsy's avatar

mc keeper, Michael J Happy is actually a real name. Last few gigs were cbs sportsline, then Detroit News, and now it looks like he’s back into sports.

Posted by Bugsy on 01/01/13 at 04:33 PM ET

Bugsy's avatar

He may still be writing for the Detroit News:

Posted by Bugsy on 01/01/13 at 04:35 PM ET

Forlorn in VA's avatar

I wouldn’t boo Ken Holland.  I would probably boo any owner I saw right now, including the Ilitchs.

Posted by Forlorn in VA on 01/01/13 at 04:48 PM ET

HockeytownOverhaul's avatar

I’d boo Devellano but not Holland.  Don’t think your average “casual” fan knows the in-and-outs of who’s pulling what strings and who’s got culpability.  GM’s want to play hockey as badly as the players I’m sure.

And I agree about the general pesimicity(sp?) amoung the fans was pretty high, being at a Lions game and all.  On top of a semi-recent World Series sweep.  Detroit fans are just ornry right now.

Posted by HockeytownOverhaul on 01/01/13 at 07:17 PM ET

YzermanZetterberg's avatar

Someone at Ford Field decided to let the fans blow off some misdirected steam with Holland as the scapegoat. If they had shown Martin Mayhew or anyone else from the current Lions “braintrust” there probably would have been more than booing going on.

Posted by YzermanZetterberg on 01/02/13 at 01:17 AM ET

Nah.  Lions fans have demonstrated they are perfectly willing to buy plate after plate of poo pizza from that organization.

Oh, they’ll howl about it while jamming it down their throats at warp speed, but they’ll always get back in line for another plate.

Posted by HockeyinHD on 01/02/13 at 06:15 AM ET