The Malik Report

Winnipeg NHL team uses team name as a carrot in ‘drive to 13,000’

This seems kind of bass ackwards to me, but the CBC reports that True North Sports and Entertainment is fine with asking fans to plunk down multi-year commitments to buy season tickets to watch Winnipeg’s NHL team, but won’t tell fans who they’re rooting for until they reach the 13,000 season ticket-holder mark:

The name of Winnipeg’s new NHL team won’t be unveiled until the season ticket drive is done, CBC News has learned.

There’s been plenty of speculation about when the name will be announced and what it will be. Scott Brown, communications director at True North Sports and Entertainment, said the organization is discussing that but won’t make any announcement until the 13,000 season ticket benchmark is reached.

“We want people to stay focused on the process of getting the 13,000 and getting the franchise secured because if we don’t get to the 13,000, then the signal that sends to the larger hockey community is not necessarily a positive one,” he said.

Continued

Filed in: | The Malik Report | Permalink

Comments

their original idea was “if we dont get 13,000 season ticket holders, then we wont try to buy a team”, in hindsight, this seems much more rational…

Posted by pstumba on 06/02/11 at 04:44 PM ET

Crater's avatar

I had just assumed it wouild be The Jets.

Posted by Crater from SoCal on 06/02/11 at 04:49 PM ET

mrfluffy's avatar

I don’t think it can be the Jets, as the Yotes still have the name trademarked.

Posted by mrfluffy from A wide spot on I-90 in Montana on 06/02/11 at 04:57 PM ET

@mrfluffy

Phoenix is owned by the NHL now, and in the article it says they would “make” the name available if that is the direction they want to go.

I remember even when the talk was that the Yotes were moving there that they wanted to stay away from Jets, and there was much made out of calling the team “Manitoba ____” to make it the whole providence’s team.

no matter what people will continue to wear their Jets sweaters to the games. but money can be made in making sure the new team has a new logo and/or name. Just like LeBron changing numbers for more jersey sales, no one wants to be wearing the old number, except those trying to be different. (an oxymoron, anyone wearing a LeBron jersey is automatically a sell out, but thats an argument for another blog…)

Posted by pstumba on 06/02/11 at 05:09 PM ET

mrfluffy's avatar

Ah. Guess I should have actually read the article. Thanks.

Posted by mrfluffy from A wide spot on I-90 in Montana on 06/02/11 at 05:22 PM ET

MsRedWinger's avatar

Heard an interview with the mayor of Winnipeg on NHLHomeIce in which he said the name will not be the Jets.  He also said that, while he would love it to be the Winnipeg Somethings, it will probably be the Manitoba Somethings.

But I agree with George - seems ass backwards.  If they had the name and logo, they could give a t-shirt or something to everyone who buys a season ticket.

Posted by MsRedWinger from Flori-duh on 06/02/11 at 05:48 PM ET

@mrfluffy

Hopefully you didn’t take that as a dick comment, only reason I read the whole article is cause I was in severe procrastination mode. And that info was just in a small blurb in the bottom of the article.

Your comment about the Yotes owning the rights made me think, “wait, the article said the NHL owns the rights….ohhhhhhhhhh yeah…”

Posted by pstumba on 06/02/11 at 05:54 PM ET

George Malik's avatar

No worries on my behalf regarding either comment.

Posted by George Malik from South Lyon, MI on 06/02/11 at 05:57 PM ET

mrfluffy's avatar

Heh, didn’t mean to imply anything; I simply should have read the article. Oh well…

Posted by mrfluffy from A wide spot on I-90 in Montana on 06/02/11 at 06:31 PM ET

I don’t know why they wouldn’t go with the Jets, it has huge name recognition already,  Although admittedly not much of a winning tradition.  I am now afraid we are going to get another idiotic name like the Wild.

Posted by Devils In The Details on 06/02/11 at 09:35 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

I submit Manitoba Hosers

Posted by RWBill from the open bar on The Hasek. on 06/02/11 at 09:57 PM ET

redxblack's avatar

Manitoba Threshers gets my non-counting vote.

Posted by redxblack from Akron Ohio on 06/02/11 at 10:16 PM ET

pooh bears

Posted by yoyoma on 06/05/11 at 10:34 PM ET

Try the Winnipeg Re Jets

Posted by canukcosmo from Edmonton on 06/07/11 at 02:33 AM ET

Take Jets, Falcons, & Thunder…put them together, and you get:
Manitoba Thunderbirds.
Include a Jet in the Logo, as the F-16 nickname is Thunderbird.

Posted by whiskeymcclinton on 06/08/11 at 02:48 PM ET

If they don’t call them the Jets, they might as well call them the Winnipeg ‘New Cokes’, as it would be just as bad of a marketing decision

Posted by Frank Lipschitz from Edmonton on 06/08/11 at 10:05 PM ET