The Malik Report

Wings Talk Grinding Offense

Paul for George…

from Ansar Khan of Mlive,

After a seven-goal outburst against Columbus on March 26, the Red Wings have scored seven goals in five games. They have not scored more than two goals in any of those games.

“We haven’t scored a lot, but I also think it’s the time of year,’’ Red Wings coach Mike Babcock said. “I don’t think there’s going to be (a lot of scoring) when you’re playing real good teams.

“I think we perceive ourselves (as) the mighty Red Wings. I think these other teams are trying, too, and have real good players. ... So I don’t think that (lack of offense) is a big surprise to us, (or) that they’re grinding-type games. I think that’s what you need to play to get ready for the playoffs.’‘

read on

In other news from today…

Dan Cleary will not play on Saturday but is scheduled to return for game 1 of the first round.

Chris Kruc of the Chicago Tribune writes the Blackhawks plan to go all out tomorrow and not play to lose, thus avoiding Nashville in the first round.

Filed in: | The Malik Report | Permalink

Comments

They don’t have to play to lose in order to avoid Nashville, in fact they can play to win, in OT or SO that is, finish 6th and get a Pacific winner as their first-round opponent.

Posted by Alex on 04/07/12 at 02:06 AM ET

alukacs's avatar

I know Nashville is a better team than the Coyotes, but im so sick of playing against that Arizona franchise. So I hope the Wings win and start against Nashville.

Posted by alukacs on 04/07/12 at 02:58 AM ET

Bullshit. Detroit routinely makes average teams look very good. Now Mike is trying to sell me on Columbus, Anaheim and even New Jersey being “real good teams”? Son of a bitch.

I don’t doubt for a second that Little Brother will come out swinging tomorrow afternoon. I also don’t doubt for a second that Detroit won’t have much to say about it until it’s probably too late. It’ll be just another tune-up for the playoffs for the Wings. That’s when they’ll throw that proverbial “switch”. No, really. They’ve just been waiting 2 months for it; biting their time while rival teams better themselves at the trade deadline and position themselves advantageously in the conference standings. BUT WATCH OUT ONCE THE SWITCH IS FLIPPED!

On the positive side, Cleary is out.

Posted by godblender on 04/07/12 at 04:45 AM ET

MsRedWinger's avatar

So the game is on NBC.  Of course.  There’s nothing listening to Icky Oilslick doing a national broadcast for his team.  I’m going to listen on 97.1.  Fuch NBC.

By the way, in case anyone else shares my inability to watch hockey on the NBC channels, I e-mailed the Program Director for 97.1 to ask if they were going to broadcast all the Red Wings’ playoff games.  He responded by saying “yes” - all the Wings’ playoff games will be on either 97.1 FM, 1270 AM, or 950 AM.  And that’s where I’ll be.  I can always watch video highlights later.

LET’S GO RED WINGS !!!!!

Posted by MsRedWinger from Flori-duh on 04/07/12 at 09:39 AM ET

BUT WATCH OUT ONCE THE SWITCH IS FLIPPED!

Sounds like your fired up for the playoffs. Me too.

Posted by Seaner from San Jose on 04/07/12 at 09:40 AM ET

Norskirama's avatar

@ms redwinger - thanks for the info.  I did notice on Wednesday that the microphones were not turned up or the crowd noise was loud enough that Icky Eddie was only a mumble, DC was slightly above a mumble and Doc was easily ignored unless you wanted to hear what he was saying except when he was really excited about a play when his decibel and frequency levels go up.  At least he gets excited about both teams.

Not sure who NBC will use today since every team is playing.  Is it possible we might get lucky and Icky Eddie is elsewhere?  Not likely since it is the Hawks.

LGRW!!!!!