The Malik Report

Wings still in the Pistons mix?

What happens when your interweb goes down due to “scheduled maintenance” for half an hour into your “substitute for Paul” stint: per SB Nation Detroit’s Sean Yuille, Ilitch Holdings executive Tom Wilson told WXYZ that, should the Pistons’ negotiations with Tom Gores fall apart, Red Wings owner Mike Ilitch is still interested in bidding for the Pistons, the Palace of Auburn Hills and Palace Sports & Entertainment:

Wednesday morning, Tom Wilson said the Ilitch family is still interested in purchasing the Detroit Pistons and Palace Entertainment.

Wilson says the Ilitches are still in a legal non-disclosure period in their effort to complete a deal.

Wilson made the comments at Wednesday morning’s reveal of renovations of Cobo Center in downtown Detroit.

WXYZ posted a video of Wilson’s comments as well:

If you’re interested, the Detroit News and Detroit Free Press offer the latest news regarding Cobo Hall/Cobo Center’s renovations. Don’t forget that the Ilitches earned serious brownie points with the City of Detroit, Wayne County and State of Michigan for relinquishing their control of Cobo Hall without a fight.

Filed in: | The Malik Report | Permalink

Comments

Actually, I wish the Ilitches would stay out of that race.  I really don’t like the idea of a multipurpose arena serving two major sports.

Posted by SYF from Alana Blanchard's Bikinis and Surfboards on 03/02/11 at 05:07 PM ET

EDJ's avatar

On a totally unrelated note, does anyone know what will happen to Ilari Filppula next season? He’s one of the leading scorers on the Griffins and he’s only on a one year contract. Does he have to pass through waivers next season if resigned? and if so is he good enough to get picked up on waivers?

Posted by EDJ on 03/02/11 at 05:45 PM ET

HockeyTownTodd's avatar

Posted by EDJ

I think the only reason we haven’t seen him with the big club yes is he would have to clear waivers.  I expect him up here at playoff time, and depending on how he fits in, and his preseason…he may be on the roster next season.

Just my thoughts…

Posted by HockeyTownTodd on 03/02/11 at 08:13 PM ET

EDJ's avatar

the thing is, as an emergency call up filps sr. wouldn’t have to go through waivers, but we’ve seen mursak, emmerton and tatar but not filppula. If they wanted to put him on the nhl squad they probably would have taken a look as an injury replacement at least.

Posted by EDJ on 03/02/11 at 11:19 PM ET

George Malik's avatar

For the playoffs, no one has to be waived. The Wings can call Meech and Filppula up sans waivers.

I do believe that Ilari was stuck in the AHL due to the number of games he’s played and seasons of professional hockey played. He has to make the Wings’ roster next season to not be sent down, assuming that he remains with our organization.

Posted by George Malik from South Lyon, MI on 03/02/11 at 11:52 PM ET