The Malik Report

Wings Skated Like They Had Nothing To Play For

Instead of going into Nashville on Friday with a 3 point lead on the Predators, the Wings will now face them with a 1 point lead with each team having 5 games remaining.

Will the loss tonight come back and haunt them or will the Wings find a way to win on Friday.

Either way, Detroit fans can’t be happy with the way the Wings played tonight.

So let your feelings be known below.

Oh yes, this is Paul filling in for George who plans to return tomorrow sometime.

I am not even going to post any highlights for two reasons, I am pretty fried right now and I need content to post.

Filed in: | The Malik Report | Permalink

Comments

« Previous        < 1 2

statelouis26's avatar

Then you really didn’t get my point. My issue is how Babcock handles ice time for a lot of players, Nyquist and Franzén included.
Posted by Herm on 03/29/12 at 12:43 PM ET

I agree w/ ya Herm, but good luck w/ J.J. because he never gets the point.  I wouldn’t waste my breath.

Franzen has 4 goals in the past 15 games with a -5.  I love Franzen, but he is lazy and should be put on the 3rd line UNTIL he starts producing.

Cleary on the 1st line for the longest time made no sense either.  I know he’s hurt and he’s fighting through pain but that does merit top line duties.  It pointless when you don’t contribute anything.  In the 17 games Cleary returned from injury and frequently played on the top line, he had 1 goal, 6 pts, and -6.  I know the wings were depleted by injuries but I think other guys might merit the time.

Posted by statelouis26 from Detroit, MI on 03/29/12 at 06:44 PM ET

Other than both the Nick’s, Pavel and Jimmy, there would be NO ONE that is untouchable on the Red Wings roster at the end of the year. Too many players too secure with their spot in the lineup (Dan Cleary and obviously the Mule) are prime examples. When is the last time Cleary has done anything??? I know he has great heart, etc.,etc. I’m sick of hearing about it.

I’m not for giving away Z or Brendan Smith or Nyquist but in a fair trade (example, those three for Rick Nash) I’d make that trade right now.

Z has had too many off games or games not up to his talents, you can’t say the same for Pavel.

As for Helm, as much as I like his speed and his talents for killing penalties, he is too much like Draper, very fast but absolutely no hands.

This roster needs a shake up, especially after IF they get eliminated in the first round or even second round. How many “poor starts” do we need to see and the road record is awful.

Babs, if it was your idea to go with two young, inexperienced NHL coaches as assistants - obviously BAD IDEA. The power play even with healthy players has been terrible all year.

Chicago without Toews has been able to hang on, play respectable hockey, maybe even grab that 4th-5th spot with the Wings sliding to 6 (which probably would be better for the Wings). Take Datsyuk out of the lineup similar to Toews and the Wings would be lucky to win 3-4 games.

Posted by Acim on 03/29/12 at 06:47 PM ET

one more thing, its great/wonderful something to really celebrate making the playoffs 21 years in a row.

But with the current Wings roster and figuring two teams that aren’t in this years playoffs, Colorado and maybe Edmonton (if the ever find a D man) will definitely be better next year.
It will be hard to think that both Anaheim and Los Angeles won’t be better next year,
along with St. Louis who should be a power for sometime, along with Chicago, next year will be tougher than this year. You certainly don’t expect the Wings to win 20+ home games in a row and if you take away part of that streak they wouldn’t make it this year.

Things need to change next year in Motown. Hopefully the Captain returns for another year, the Wings sign either Suter or Weber, a move that obviously will strengthen the Wings and weaken the Preds and maybe pick up a sniper, someone to fill the role they haven’t filled since they lost Hossa.

I still believe in you Kenny and Mike - but . . . lets see what you can do.

Posted by Acim on 03/29/12 at 06:55 PM ET

cainer4wingsglory's avatar

I’m sure even the Nyquist backers (myself included) can admit that the Wings need Franzen making a difference on the top line for a deep run. But that doesn’t mean Babs shouldn’t have put the Mule on the 3rd line (he looked good there last time Babs sent him a msg) for a game or two to light a fire under him.

I think we can all agree that it’s nice to have a rookie good enough to spark this kind of debate….

Posted by cainer4wingsglory on 03/29/12 at 07:03 PM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

Posted by statelouis26 from Detroit, MI on 03/29/12 at 04:44 PM ET

Awww… looks like somebody who’s been proven wrong before.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 03/29/12 at 07:26 PM ET

mrfluffy's avatar

Posted by Acim on 03/29/12 at 04:47 PM ET

I stopped reading after the names that were untradeable on that list of yours.

What are you spouting off about? This team isn’t as dominate, yes, as it once was as it’s still a team in transition, not to mention Gary’s parity is taking hold. Sure with one or two more pieces it dominate all but…how was Holland supposed to get those one or two pieces at the prices they are at?

Posted by mrfluffy from A wide spot on I-90 in Montana on 03/29/12 at 08:29 PM ET

mrfluffy's avatar

Oh yeah, Nyquist is still better than Franzen.  smile

statelouis26's avatar

Posted by cainer4wingsglory on 03/29/12 at 05:03 PM ET

That’s the thing though, is Franzen making a difference at this point?  If he continues to be on the top line what motivation is there?  I know he may get fewer scoring opportunities playing on the third line but it could make him work harder for chances.  Who knows I guess.  He can go back to the top line once he gets going or at least once the playoffs start.

Posted by statelouis26 from Detroit, MI on 03/29/12 at 09:46 PM ET

shanetx's avatar

.  That’s the thing though, is Franzen making a difference at this point?

10 GWG this season.  I’m sure there were insurance goals on top of some of those, sure, but his knack for scoring BIG goals really can’t be denied.

Posted by shanetx from Floydada, Texas on 03/29/12 at 10:48 PM ET