The Malik Report

Wings Skated Like They Had Nothing To Play For

Instead of going into Nashville on Friday with a 3 point lead on the Predators, the Wings will now face them with a 1 point lead with each team having 5 games remaining.

Will the loss tonight come back and haunt them or will the Wings find a way to win on Friday.

Either way, Detroit fans can’t be happy with the way the Wings played tonight.

So let your feelings be known below.

Oh yes, this is Paul filling in for George who plans to return tomorrow sometime.

I am not even going to post any highlights for two reasons, I am pretty fried right now and I need content to post.

Filed in: | The Malik Report | Permalink

Comments

1 2 >       Next »

Haven’t been this furious after a loss in years. The BJs goalie tonight had an .880 save %... IN THE ECHL!!!!!!!!! Not even in the AHL. Wow. Most embarrassing loss I can remember in a long, long time as a Wings fan. Ruined my night.

Posted by Asdf from Michigan on 03/29/12 at 12:16 AM ET

MsRedWinger's avatar

Ditto. Very depressing.

Posted by MsRedWinger from Flori-duh on 03/29/12 at 12:25 AM ET

Red Winger's avatar

I saw what you did there.

Not much content from this game, that’s for sure.

Seriously, other than the NHL just giving the Wings two points for nothing, what would be the next best scenario going into a key game against Nashville? Yup, playing the BJ’s beforehand.

Mike Milbury is a douche, but he hit the nail on the head during the pregame. When asked how he thought the BJ’s would respond to the previous drubbing by the Wings, he basically said they wouldn’t, they couldn’t. They have nothing to play for. Pride? Pfffft, whatever, pride left that team by New Year’s Day. It was two juicy points handed to the Wings on a silver platter, and they didn’t take it, because they look about as disinterested playing on the road as can be.

There is nothing there on the road; no passion, no drive, until it’s too late. Yup, they looked great for ten minutes in the third period. Still, those other fifty minutes of hockey are pretty important, too.

Posted by Red Winger from Sault Ste Marie on 03/29/12 at 12:33 AM ET

Chet's avatar

at least the power play’s hummin’ along!

smile

Posted by Chet from twitter: thegansen on 03/29/12 at 12:34 AM ET

WingedRider's avatar

I will hang this one on Babcock and poor decision to put Franzen (Not a Mule) in Nyquist’s spot and Conklin is not an NHL Goalie!  AND he is going to start Conklin and his .860 SV % against Preds, Just cost us Home ICE likely!  Throw in a California Dreamin’ Stuart, Brutal!

Posted by WingedRider from Saskatoon, SK on 03/29/12 at 12:42 AM ET

SolidTG7's avatar

I have zero confidence they can win in Nashville with Conklin in net.  I thought Jimmy was supposed to be back tonight, I understand they are being careful but in the meantime the goaltending is crappy.

Posted by SolidTG7 on 03/29/12 at 12:46 AM ET

SolidTG7's avatar

And oh yeah, now is not the time to be giving points away.

Might as well start Pearce since the chance that Conklin gives up 4 or more is 50%.

Posted by SolidTG7 on 03/29/12 at 12:48 AM ET

The BJs goalie tonight had an .880 save %... IN THE ECHL!!!!!!!!!

I bet certain goalies who right now play in the NHL would have a worse %-age in ECHL, .. ah, nevermind.

Posted by Alex on 03/29/12 at 12:51 AM ET

It’d been nice for em to show up and chased York outta the net. I really wanted to see Hunwick get in net.

Posted by T on 03/29/12 at 12:56 AM ET

If Jimmy is not ready for NSH I’d like to see Pearce in net. Honestly, why is it always a no-name rookie goalie on a team that beats us. Can we turn the tables on them just once for a change?

Posted by Alex on 03/29/12 at 01:00 AM ET

DocF's avatar

The reason no highlights were posted is because there were none.

Pathetic effort.

Did anyone else read into the words that Babcock said during the game to the Que-ball?  He pretty much admitted the players pay no attention to him.  They are tired of the same rants and the same bull-headedness he has exhibited from day one.  He should have been replaced earlier, but the Wings are stuck with him through the playoffs.

Doc

Posted by DocF from Now: Lynn Haven, FL; was Reidsville, NC on 03/29/12 at 01:04 AM ET

wow, doesn’t anyone here ever consider that maybe wings are jockeying for the most advantageous first round match up?  Who cares what playoff number we get, all we should care about is our first round match up….

also, pretty unfair to rip on Stuart. Brad Stuart has been the embodiment and personification of Red Wing Excellence every year he has been here , PLUS He doesn’t even want to leave, but his wife CANT leave California without losing custody of her daughter, so he has to make the HORRIBLE choice of staying with the team and being away from his whole family for ANOTHER year or three, or getting to be with his family.

Lay off, its shitty to rip on him.

Posted by LA Juice on 03/29/12 at 01:09 AM ET

SolidTG7's avatar

And which first round match up would that be?

The 6th seed with no home ice advantage for the whole playoffs?

Have you watched them on the road this year?

They should be playing for highest seed regardless of matchups because I don’t want a team that tanks in in the off chance they could get Dallas or LA in the first round, especially since its more likely to get SJ.

Posted by SolidTG7 on 03/29/12 at 01:19 AM ET

WestWing's avatar

One regulation road win since January.  One.

Posted by WestWing from Portland, Oregon on 03/29/12 at 03:03 AM ET

Terribly disappointing.

1. I shudder to think what the Wings defense will look like when Lids calls it quits.

2. Its perfect timing for Stuart to depart.  He has been mediocre for far too many games this season.  I would seriously consider sitting Stuart in favour of Smith.  Stuie needs a serious wake up call.

3. The Wings desperately need obtain two top four defensemen this summer.

4. The Wings need a real back-up goalie.  Conklin and Joey Mac aren’t going to get the job done.

5. The defense needs to stop making school boy errors with the puck if The Wings are going to make any progress in the playoffs.  I am now leaning more toward thinking the current defense core are not capable of eliminating errors.

Posted by El Gringo on 03/29/12 at 06:16 AM ET

Guilherme's avatar

Of course they pay no attention. Babcock rewards laziness and takes too long to accept new guys on “his group”.

Evidence 189-a: Playing Franzén in the first line and using Nyquist for unbelievable 5:19 minutes. I mean, Franzén is ofter out-worked by Jiri Fuching Hudler, but he (on his first game back from an injury) gets the call over a guy with 7 points in 7 games and obvious chemistry with Datsyuk.

Also, forget the injuries and stuff, just pratice. How many optional skates did they have in the last month?

Posted by Guilherme from Brazsil on 03/29/12 at 08:52 AM ET

Ok…I am not happy to see this pathetic play, but blaming mostly the coach? He rewarded his player after 7-2 win with an optional skate….and last time I checked, they are PAID to play the game….Jesus…Hank, Pav and Nick are the leaders and they played well (better than the rest)...

As for Franzen, his teammates are the ones that needs to kick him in the butt.

Posted by Nat from MTL on 03/29/12 at 09:51 AM ET

Vladimir16's avatar

This team drives me CRAZY!

Posted by Vladimir16 from Grand River Valley on 03/29/12 at 10:11 AM ET

cainer4wingsglory's avatar

I rarely second guess Babcock, because he’s one of the best in the business and really who am I to question him?? But he totally f’d up with Nyquist/Franzen. Before the game when I read Babs was just giving Franzen his spot back on the top line (that’s so un-Babcock like) I had a bad feeling. And then he only plays Goose 5 mins with Mr. Invisible Cory Emmerton and our molasses slow PP specialist? What is going on in Hockeytown??

Posted by cainer4wingsglory on 03/29/12 at 11:56 AM ET

bezukov's avatar

Wings Skated Like They Had Nothing To Play For

Exactly, last night doesn’t worry me too much.  Ty Conklin got left out to dry a couple times, but after spending forty minutes looking over that guy’s shoulder, it was pretty plain that he wasn’t seeing the puck.  I just seemed like he was a whole two seconds behind everything going on.  He’s not gonna be good enough in the first round.

Posted by bezukov from the kids are alright. on 03/29/12 at 12:09 PM ET

bezukov's avatar

Exactly, last night doesn’t worry me too much.

... (I should add to that sentence)... except for Ty Conklin.

Posted by bezukov from the kids are alright. on 03/29/12 at 12:11 PM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

Why is the complaint still Franzen vs. Nyquist?

Of course Babcock is going to put his team’s leading goal-scorer back on the top line alongside the center with whom he’s expected to play in the playoffs. Franzen isn’t going to work that timing back out with Datsyuk from the third line.

Is there another unmovable winger on that line?

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 03/29/12 at 12:26 PM ET

mrfluffy's avatar

JJ, I respect your steady, calm, rational thought, but how can you not look back the past week or so and not see what the first line was without Franzen? Why mess with something that was working?

Posted by mrfluffy from A wide spot on I-90 in Montana on 03/29/12 at 12:32 PM ET

This month Franzén has 4 pts (and is a -2) and Bertuzzi has 6 pts (+4).

Also, Franzén is a lazy motherfucher.

And it’s not a Franzén vs. Nyquist debate. Is Nyquist having earned the rights for more than 5 minutes a game and not getting it (Friggin Emmerton had 6:49!), while the lazy Donkey is always up there.

Posted by Herm from the office on 03/29/12 at 12:43 PM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

This month Franzén has 4 pts (and is a -2) and Bertuzzi has 6 pts (+4).

Oh noes!  Over a 9-game stretch the 0.72 points—per-game player has dropped to 0.5 while the 0.55 guy has risen to 0.67!  I guess that completely makes up for Franzen having nearly twice as many goals and 22 fewer penalty minutes.

Of course it’s a Franzen vs. Nyquist debate. Nobody’s complaining about anybody else getting the minutes that Nyquist deserves.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 03/29/12 at 01:08 PM ET

Lay off, its shitty to rip on him.

But it’s OK to suggest they’re tanking on purpose.

Posted by Garth on 03/29/12 at 01:23 PM ET

Of course it’s a Franzen vs. Nyquist debate.

I assume you’re not talking about me then, since I just said it’s not my point.

Do you want me to specifically mention Franzén (on his first game, which apparently Babs think means a lot), Emmerton’s extra minute and a half, Homer’s ES minutes or the 70-year old dressed as Cleary?

Posted by Herm on 03/29/12 at 01:34 PM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

For it not being your point, you’re spending an awful lot of time making backhanded shots about how much ice time Franzen got last night.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 03/29/12 at 01:42 PM ET

NIVO's avatar

remember the scene from the movie MAJOR LEAGUE where the asian grounds keepers describe how the team was? Um…..yea…...that.

Posted by NIVO from underpants gnome village on 03/29/12 at 02:15 PM ET

shanetx's avatar

In Datsyuk’s first game back his line started every period (with Cleary in the mule spot) over the Z line that had been CARRYING the team (to admittedly poor results) for the last two months.  Of course Babcock was going to play Franzen in the top line.  He’s the most skilled goal scorer they have and the wings go nowhere without him producing.  If he is ‘08 Franzen the wings beat the Predators in five.  I think we’re all realizing he’s not ‘08 Franzen, but that doesn’t change that he’s the only guy on the team not named Datsyuk that has to be reckoned with every shift.

Put it this way:  Nyquist looks great playing with Pav but you could dress Verlander and expect him to score goals in Pav’s wing.  Now let’s see Nyquist playing with Emerton and see what he can do in a small spot.  Can he contribute in that role?  That’s an important thing.  Think of Helm in the 08 run.  How important was his hitting on the forth line, playing forth line minutes.  Nyquist isn’t going to do that but he can be the guy that keeps the puck in the offensive zone for the entirety of a forth line shift (think Ville Leino during his three good games with the Wings if you don’t remember the grind line when they were young).  There is definitely something to be said for having a guy on the forth line who is difficult to get te puck away from.  I’m not going to defend his minutes (they were too low) except to say the forth line will play more when the whistles go away in the playoffs or if the wings aren’t in an immediate hole and playing catchup.

Also, if none of that matters to you, think of it this way.  Franzen commands more respect from the other team and he opens up the ice for Datsyuk.

Posted by shanetx from Floydada, Texas on 03/29/12 at 02:38 PM ET

Then you really didn’t get my point. My issue is how Babcock handles ice time for a lot of players, Nyquist and Franzén included.

Posted by Herm on 03/29/12 at 02:43 PM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

Right, and my point is that putting Franzen on the third or fourth line would be dumb.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 03/29/12 at 02:46 PM ET

Vladimir16's avatar

Franzen was demoted to the 3rd line to try and wake him up. The dude floats when he’s disinterested or whatever the heck is wrong with him. When he does get riled up he can be a dominate forward out there. Me thinks it would be wise to try and wake his arse up before the playoffs. Franzen has alwyas been like this and it probably drives Babcock nuts.
Bowman had this problem, albeit on a much, much smaller scale, with Federov and Shanahan. He wasn’t afraid to try and kick start them. Hell, he put Federov on defense to wake him up….. and it worked.

Posted by Vladimir16 from Grand River Valley on 03/29/12 at 02:54 PM ET

I don’t know what’s dumb in trying to light a fire under your best pure goalscorer (when he wants to).

Isn’t Detroit what it is because its best players are always the hardest workers? What’s wrong in showing them that just skill won’t give you ice time?

Posted by Herm on 03/29/12 at 03:52 PM ET

at least the power play Demolition Man’s hummin’ along against the league’s worst PK team!

ftfy. So he didn’t officially score the first goal (for now(?), though he did assist), but neither goal would have gone in if he weren’t there.
And at least they didn’t give up any PPGs to the 3rd worst PP team in the league. (Though I don’t see how 16.7% is so much better than 14.8% that they give up 2 PPGs vs. 0.)

Franzen was demoted to the 3rd line to try and wake him up.

I think that was actually because only one line was scoring and Bertuzzi and Franzen weren’t working together without Datsyuk, so one had to be moved to Helm’s line.

From what I saw that game, Nyquist was one of the only players consistently trying to do something. It’s really hard to score when you’re on a line of grinders who don’t really work well together and every time you try to do something, you are grabbed, hooked, tripped, interfered with, all with no call.

Posted by bleep bloop on 03/29/12 at 04:05 PM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

Because Franzen hadn’t been invisible for the last five games because he lacked the fire to compete, he had been invisible because he was out of the lineup with an injury.

You’d be lighting a fire under a guy whose engine you expect to already be running after having missed those games.

And you know what? It absolutely was.  Franzen had a good game.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 03/29/12 at 04:06 PM ET

Vladimir16's avatar

J.J., we get that you’re a big fan (yeah, yeah your avatar is a dead giveaway) and the guy is a hell of a player. What bothers a lot of fans is the way he carries himself on the ice. He reminds me a little of Eli Manning. That “Awe shucky darn” attitude. If the guy would use his size and control the puck in the corners, people would be happy. If he scored more consistantly, people would be happy. If he acted like he gave a crap, people would be happy.

Now saying all that if the guy brings it come playoff time (which has been his M.O. in the past) us critics will be quiet. And I will too….. until December. Hahahaha…..

Posted by Vladimir16 from Grand River Valley on 03/29/12 at 04:16 PM ET

WingsFaninCO's avatar

Posted by Vladimir16 on 03/29/12 at 02:16 PM ET

Mule DID have a good game last night (especially for a guy returning from injury). He was actually moving his feet and going into the corners.  There are a lot of games where he doesn’t do that and it’s infuriating, but last night was not one of them.

Also, JJ’s avatar isn’t a mule.  It’s a foal.

Posted by WingsFaninCO on 03/29/12 at 04:35 PM ET

shanetx's avatar

In a nutshell, if Franzen were a different player, you’d be happy.

He’s what he is, not what you wish he was, and what he is is still the best goal scorer the team has.  I don’t understand why Wings fans keep insisting Franzen be pre-Moore incident Bertuzzi.  That isn’t who he is, ever was, or ever will be.  Enough wishing he were someone else.

Posted by shanetx from Floydada, Texas on 03/29/12 at 04:36 PM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

Johan Franzen could have his face broken by a Dodge Ram for all I care, as long as it somehow magically gives us a replacement player who can put up the kind of numbers that Franzen can produce; I want what’s best for the Red Wings.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 03/29/12 at 04:44 PM ET