The Malik Report

Wings’ Morning Update

Paul appearing for George this morning.

The beat writers report this morning from practice that Johan Franzen plans to play tomorrow, while Ericsson and Howard are game time decisions.

Babcock says if players don’t play tomorrow, they won’t play on Friday against the Predators.  He doesn’t want their first game back to be against Nashville.

Babcock also stated Nyquist will remain with the Wings for now, not sure who he will replace tomorrow with Franzen returning.

Filed in: | The Malik Report | Permalink

Comments

HockeytownOverhaul's avatar

Cleary, Bench Cleary.  Sorry homie.

Posted by HockeytownOverhaul on 03/27/12 at 12:30 PM ET

MOWingsfan19's avatar

I agree HTO, not like Cleary can’t use the rest on the knee.

Posted by MOWingsfan19 from I really like our team on 03/27/12 at 12:40 PM ET

topshelf14's avatar

Nyquist - 12 GP - 1 G - 6 A - 7 Pts +4?

I’ll take that over the production of Cleary or Emmerton.

Posted by topshelf14 from Detroit, MI on 03/27/12 at 12:49 PM ET

mrfluffy's avatar

Emmerton has been fine as the pivot on the 4th line, if anything he needs a few more minutes. I’d sit Cleary and put Franzen on the 3rd line for now. And FFS keep Jimmy’s butt glued to the pine for a few more days.

Posted by mrfluffy from A wide spot on I-90 in Montana on 03/27/12 at 01:03 PM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

Diggers reporting Nyquist was working in on the fourth line for Mursak during practice today.

I’m hoping that’s just Babcock keeping things close to the vest, because the thought of Nyquist playing as a fourth liner makes me pee blood.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 03/27/12 at 01:06 PM ET

mrfluffy's avatar

Sigh. Babcock is nothing like his supposed mentor…

Posted by mrfluffy from A wide spot on I-90 in Montana on 03/27/12 at 01:16 PM ET

42jeff's avatar

I join the call for Cleary having a seat.  True he and Emmerton are both about the same as far as actual production this season…but with the astounding decline in Cleary this season, I’d say Emmerton could use the experience.

Posted by 42jeff from The greater Howard City, MI metroplex on 03/27/12 at 02:35 PM ET

perfection's avatar

Agreed. Nyquist on the 4th is bad… though the practice may just be giving Babs more in-game, line juggling flexibility which is cool.

While I know it’s obviously not the direct equivalent, but Nyquist is sort of seeming like our Radulov. It at least counters him to some degree. He’s got serious skill and seems to be getting up to speed rapidly. You can only assume if he continues to play, this will continue. He’s kind of a secret weapon.

Posted by perfection from LaLaLand on 03/27/12 at 02:51 PM ET

detroitredwings's avatar

Dats is destined to carry Mule around on his back tomorrow, instead of further developing some chemistry with Nyquist:(

Posted by detroitredwings on 03/27/12 at 03:01 PM ET

CaptainDennisPolonich's avatar

Cleary, Bench Cleary.  Sorry homie.
Posted by HockeytownOverhaul on 03/27/12 at 11:30 AM ET

Absolutely. I know Charlie Buckets Grandpa Joe is hurt, but the reason doesn’t matter; he’s playing like an old man and he drags down whatever line he is on.

the thought of Nyquist playing as a fourth liner makes me pee blood.
Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 03/27/12 at 12:06 PM ET

I’ve peed blood (kidney stones) and I concur with that statement.

Posted by CaptainDennisPolonich from The Land of Fake Boobs and Real Nuts on 03/27/12 at 03:14 PM ET

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 03/27/12 at 12:06 PM ET

Thanks, JJ.  I only got the chance to watch awood40’s highlights on youtube but Gus with Dangles just makes me giggle like a Japanese schoolgirl.

Posted by SYF from Alana Blanchard's Bikinis and Surfboards on 03/27/12 at 03:55 PM ET

MsRedWinger's avatar

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 03/27/12 at 12:06 PM ET

Except for the peeing blood part, agree totally.  I want to see Gus stay on the top line.  Rest Cleary’s knee and put the Mule on the third line until he gets going.  Gus has great chemistry with Pav and Bert, and doesn’t deserve a “demotion.”

Posted by MsRedWinger from Flori-duh on 03/27/12 at 03:55 PM ET

Maybe Cleary will do the Wings a favor and retire after the season a la Rafalski.

Meanwhile, Keep Gus with Dats and Bert.  They are dangerous together, and although Filppula was already having a career year, ever since Nyquist came up, Filppula looks like he’s been shot out of a cannon.  I don’t want to break up the SCF Line (SCF = Sweden Czech and Fin or Stanley Cup Final), but Nyquist is going to be the Wings version of Logan Couture in 12-13.

Although the Wings aren’t going to be a top 3 seed now, I know that there aren’t ANY teams that want to play them.

Posted by BobaFett from Las Vegas on 03/27/12 at 04:04 PM ET

HockeytownOverhaul's avatar

Wont happen Boba, he’s going to have surgery to repair it in the off-season.  He’s just functioning so far under his ability that to sit anyone else to keep him in would not be in the best interest of the team.  Much better off keeping Mursak and Emmerton in with Cleary in the condition he’s in.

Keep the top 6 the same and swap out Donkey for Buckets and call it a day.

Mr. Fluffy I agree about Babs being nothing like his “mentor”, 1000%  Miss the days of SB and the level of accountability he held his players to.

Posted by HockeytownOverhaul on 03/27/12 at 05:17 PM ET

HockeytownOverhaul's avatar

Buckets for Donkey*

Posted by HockeytownOverhaul on 03/27/12 at 05:22 PM ET

OlderThanChelios's avatar

Well, that just made my heart sink. The only thing worse would be to see Horse’s Ass and Errorson coming back on the same day.

As for Gustav, dropping him down to the 4th line after the way he’s performed is just putting him on the path to becoming Jiri Hudler 2.0. Babs kept Happy on the 4th line so long, he couldn’t wait to split for the KHL. Gustav won’t do that, but he’s not going to “grow” as a high-end scoring forward playing the role of a “mucker” with Homer and Emmerton or Mursak.

And I’m with those who are calling for Cleary to sit. It’s almost heartbreaking to watch him drag his broken body back to the bench these days. He’s beat. Give him the rest of the regular season off and maybe, just maybe, he might have something to contribute during the playoffs.

Posted by OlderThanChelios from Grand Rapids, MI on 03/28/12 at 12:56 AM ET