The Malik Report

Wings Lose 2-1 In A Tight Game To The Rangers

Paul here for George who hopefully is recovering from a long day.

Probably the type of game Babcock wanted from this lineup, just could not find a way to put the puck in the net.

Only Detroit goal was scored by Zetterberg in the first period.

added 10:56pm, Game highlights have been added below…

Filed in: | The Malik Report | Permalink

Comments

Damn… Here us to hoping the pens win tomorrow against Nashville in OT. Thanks for nothing wings.  I am burning the honorary 1-night fan club membership as I type.

Posted by gretzky_to_lemieux on 03/21/12 at 11:27 PM ET

Probably the type of game Babcock wanted from this lineup

He was just talking about playing better defensively, so what did his team do? Allow more shots against than the team that allows the most on average.

Posted by bleep bloop on 03/21/12 at 11:30 PM ET

Thanks for nothing wings.

You should be thanking Griffins that were one clank away from winning the game. The Wings were resting tonight, getting themselves healthy and ready for playoffs.

Posted by Alex on 03/21/12 at 11:46 PM ET

Well this was a much more inspired effort than I’ve seen from this team in two weeks. Too bad it didn’t earn us a hugely needed two points. F***.

Why won’t Quincey ever take away the passing lane on 2-on-1’s? He just kinds of crouches down basically allowing the puck handler the very convenient option of shooting OR passing.

Posted by godblender on 03/22/12 at 01:25 AM ET

Oh, and the coaching staff probably should’ve put together some tape of Brad Richards to show the players. They could’ve called a meeting and been like, “Hey guys! He’s good…at hockey, no less. It’s kind of his thing.” Then someone could at least yell “BOO!” as he skates end to fuching end without anyone taking notice.

Posted by godblender on 03/22/12 at 01:35 AM ET

NIVO's avatar

i hate to say it a 3rd time…...........but i will smile  Get rid of Janik, he’s a bum!

Posted by NIVO from underpants gnome village on 03/22/12 at 01:49 AM ET

shanetx's avatar

This is my favorite comment ever.

Posted by shanetx from Floydada, Texas on 03/22/12 at 01:57 AM ET

HockeytownOverhaul's avatar

You’re on crack about Janik.. guy is solid.  Im having a hard time figuring out why stuey and ronners keep having the mental lapses they are.. supposed to be leaders behind nick

Posted by HockeytownOverhaul on 03/22/12 at 09:14 AM ET

My perspective of that goal is that the team was horrible on that play and that’s why he scored, not because he’s a good player. They were shorthanded and did not have possession of the puck, yet Stuart thought it was a good idea to join the rush so there were 3 Red Wings players in the offensive zone. Kronwall was by his own blue line, but against the sideboards for no apparent reason. Richards easily got through the Red Wings circus in his zone, leaving only Kronwall who was on the wrong side of the ice to play the one-on-one well. On top of that, the goal was nothing Conklin couldn’t have saved; he made plenty of more difficult saves that game.

Posted by bleep bloop on 03/22/12 at 09:22 AM ET

When Janik was one the ice, the puck tended to stay in the Red Wings zone. He nearly won the game, but I’m not surprised he played shy of 16 mins, when he should probably be playing 18 mins. (Smith played nearly 17 mins.)

I thought White was weaker than Quincey that game, but White played nearly 2 mins longer. Quincey had a game-high in blocked shots and his holding penalty was gets the same abbreviation.

I thought Kronwall wasn’t bad that game and that Stuart was close to it. He kept making bad decisions with the puck, was weaker than normal with it, was nowhere to be seen on the first goal against, and the GWG went off his knee (nothing he could do about that, but things tend to pile up). We’ve seen this in the past when he plays too much for too long. And both played over 25 mins.

Posted by bleep bloop on 03/22/12 at 09:41 AM ET

Nathan's avatar

I don’t think I’ve seen a game like last night in 10+ years. It was truly bizarre how dominant the Wings were in the faceoff circle, yet were completely unable to translate it into scoring opportunities. Usually when you win twice as many faceoffs as your opponent, you turn it into pucks on net.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m not just ragging on the Rags, the Wings did it as well… both teams were really mucking up center ice, the ice was clearly slush, and the refs were letting ‘em play like it was 1995. If the NHL wants to see a prototype of what’s been creeping back in all season, last night’s game is the one to look at.

Posted by Nathan from the scoresheet! on 03/22/12 at 09:52 AM ET

Really disappointed by the 2 on 1 with Flip and Gus, too. Two scorers on the rush and no shot on goal to show for it.

Posted by RyanVM from Philly on 03/22/12 at 10:01 AM ET

MsRedWinger's avatar

Geez, I wasn’t disappointed in that game at all.  Sure I was hoping for a win, but I thought the team played much better as a group and Conklin certainly exceeded expectations.  The Rangers lead the East for goodness’ sake, and the Wings held their own.  And got a point.

Here’s what I’ve been thinking:  Maybe it’s not all bad that the Grifs are getting all this NHL experience right now.  If the top guys get healthy for the playoffs, look out!

And I agree with HockeytownOverhaul about Janik.

LET’S GO RED WINGS !!!!!

Posted by MsRedWinger from Flori-duh on 03/22/12 at 10:07 AM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

The Richards goal was mostly Datsyuk. Drew Miller is covering the side of the ice where there are actually Rangers in the neutral zone when Brad Richards crosses his own blue line. It’s Datsyuk’s job to prevent him from building speed and to funnel him directly into the defense. By the time Pavel realizes he’s too far to the outside covering nobody, Richards hits an extra gear and accelerates into what is now a one-on-one against Kronwall. This is one of the hardest plays for an NHL defenseman to stop (Think Pavel Datsyuk on Ryan Suter with 5 seconds left). Kronwall isn’t totally free of fault, but it shouldn’t have gotten to that point in the first place.

This was one of the worst performances I’ve seen by Datsyuk (as he’s also primarily at fault for the OT-winner, and was part of the reason Kyle Quincey got caught in a bad position on Dubinsky, leading to his holding penalty as well). I hope his knee isn’t acting up again.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 03/22/12 at 10:11 AM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

Stuart/Kronwall are a 2nd pair that have been forced to play as a top pair for more games than they can do consistently. Doug Janik is in the same boat except we’re talking AHL/NHL.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 03/22/12 at 10:12 AM ET

bezukov's avatar

I’m disappointed but that was the best I’ve seen the Wings play in a month.  Hard to be upset with the effort they put in last night.

Posted by bezukov from the kids are alright. on 03/22/12 at 10:56 AM ET

Get rid of Janik, he’s a bum!

Who are they supposed to play in place of Janik?  Seriously, considering this guy is 9th on the depth chart i think he’s been pretty solid.  Some one needs to play those minutes. They cant just ride Stuart and Kronwall into the ground until everyone else gets healthy.

Last night was a step in the right direction at least.  I dont care if they win another game in the regular season, as long as they start playing better and get people back before the playoffs.

At this point, with it looking like dallas or pheonix might win the Pacific and not San Jose, the wings are probably better off falling to 6th anyway.  Home ice would be great, but playing a weaker opponent and letting chicago and nashville battle it out would be nicer.

Posted by jwad on 03/22/12 at 11:31 AM ET

Nathan's avatar

Janik has been pretty alright, lay off the guy.

I agree with JJ—Datsyuk had a bad game. Just downright bad. He’s probably still working to get his legs and timing back. I’m not concerned about him, but even so, the fact is he just had a stinker. It happens, move on.

Posted by Nathan from the scoresheet! on 03/22/12 at 12:20 PM ET

HockeyTownTodd's avatar

Posted by Nathan

I agree

The GWOTG was scored on a player change…
Cleary went to the bench and his replacement skated very nonchalant towards the Wings end, with no effort to catch up to the play.  Anyone notice which player it was..?

Posted by HockeyTownTodd on 03/22/12 at 01:11 PM ET

A few things to clarify about my last comment, in case some things weren’t clear:

I didn’t mean to imply that Janik was especially bad, only that he’s not logging quite as much time as a third pair defender should be to avoid wearing down your top pair. That’s completely understandable since they played most of the season in the AHL, even if could probably both be fulltime NHLers.

My comment about Quincey’s penalty was ambiguous. I meant that I don’t think it should have been called a penalty at all. When I watched it, I knew something would be called, but I didn’t see a hold or a hook in the replay, only a reach and a push. I actually thought Quincey had his best game in a while.

On Richards’s goal, I was primarily blaming Stuart for being way out of the play and Kronwall for not being in the middle as the last guy back, but everyone bears blame on that one.

Posted by bleep bloop on 03/22/12 at 01:21 PM ET

shanetx's avatar

Anyone notice which player it was..?

Hudler

Posted by shanetx from Floydada, Texas on 03/22/12 at 01:43 PM ET

My observation, especially with the amount of face off wins by the Wings. The Wings are not playing puck possession well enough, and are not gaining enough traction with their transition game leading to less offensive possession and scoring. As well as the opposite, they are loose on the defensive transition allowing opponents to walk through any little hole. I am not going to blame Datsyuk on the Richards goal if he skated right through our two defense like they were not even there.

Posted by Jasper on 03/22/12 at 05:01 PM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

Posted by HockeyTownTodd on 03/22/12 at 12:11 PM ET

Any idea where the fourth Rangers player was on that play? He was behind Hudler and likely salivating at the opportunity for another Red Wings’ player to take himself out of position so he could be open for a scoring chance.

I digress.. Hudler isn’t faultless on this play and I actually do wish that he had tried to get involved in making a play on Callahan.  As far as blame, Hudler deserves about half of what Datsyuk deserves for his decision to abandon Del Zotto at the blue line to make a play on Dubinsky.

Posted by Jasper on 03/22/12 at 04:01 PM ET

Why? Before Richards got the chance to do that, he skated right through where Datsyuk should have been standing like he wasn’t even there (because he wasn’t).

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 03/22/12 at 05:37 PM ET

HockeytownOverhaul's avatar

I don’t know what you were watching JJ but I saw Kronners WAY out of position and overskate the pressuring forward as well as try to skate by while playing the puck.  That’s how he got beat.  If he stops in front of Richards and plays the body, that goal doesn’t happen, but because he played the puck, the put himself on the outside by doing so, Richards was able to get just enough.

Play the body, play the body.. in the situation you always play the body.  If he’s coming down the wing, it’s another story, north south bearing down, play the body.

Posted by HockeytownOverhaul on 03/22/12 at 05:58 PM ET

John W.'s avatar

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 03/22/12 at 09:11 AM ET

I think the knee is fine, to me it just looked like he hit the wall, which is common in the 3rd or 4th game back after a month away from the game.

Posted by John W. from a bubble wrap cocoon on 03/22/12 at 06:01 PM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

I don’t know what you were watching JJ

The replay.

About a dozen times.

And I don’t know what you’re reading, but I never said Kronwall’s not at fault for misplaying Richards.  All I said is that it’s a lot harder to make a play on a guy who is skating full-speed at you with the puck.

Kronwall needs the help of the PKing forward to slow him down and doesn’t get it.

Guys… it’s OK to say that Datsyuk screwed up.  I’m sure he knows he did and I’m confident he’s going to take it out on Carolina on Saturday, but this shit about how it’s somebody else’s fault on these two goals is silly, especially when I’ve never tried to say that it’s only one person’s fault.  Switch out Datsyuk for Franzen and ask if you’ve still got the fuching gall to ask what I’m actually watching.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 03/22/12 at 06:23 PM ET