The Malik Report

Wings fans out of regional coverage for Sunday’s NBC game will have to scramble to find game

Update 11:17 PM, yaay, PTM’s Lepore says all games will be streamed on NBCSports.com: Bummer news: Per Puck the Media’s Steve Lepore and The 506, NBC’s swiping of the Sunday’s Red Wings-Minnesota Wild game doesn’t just mean a strange 11:30 local time start (the game starts at 12:30 PM EST):

it also means that if you’re outside of the geographical zone that NBC’s chosen to designate as Wings-Wild territory, you’re going to have to find another legal (cough) means to watch the game as

it won’t be available on the NHL’s Center Ice or GameCenter Live packages.  Per The 506, here’s Sunday’s coverage map (and the Wings game is in blue):

image

At The 506, you can zoom in on the map and look at the affiliate-by-affiliate breakdown.

Even worse? Pat Foley, the Blackhawks’ play-by-play announcer, and Darren Pang of the St. Louis Blues will replace Ken Daniels (who’s covering the Rangers game) as the game’s announcers.

Filed in: | The Malik Report | Permalink

Comments

pucked up's avatar

I’ve got no issue watching the Flyers/Rangers game but at the expense of missing the Wings, no damn way.  And why in the hell does NBC think the West Coast wouldn’t be more interested in our game than Philly NY? I don’t have enough time to pack up and move to the “blue region”.  FUCH. No seriously. This week keeps getting better and better.

L.G.R.W.

Posted by pucked up on 02/20/11 at 12:26 AM ET

Sal's avatar

I’m in a Rangers / Flyers zone so I emailed NHL Gamecenter to ask about blackouts.  Yep, all NBC games are blacked out no matter what zone you’re in.  They did say that they think NBCSports will be streaming all of the games, so there’s some hope.

Posted by Sal from the shadow of the Great Smoky Mountains on 02/20/11 at 12:32 AM ET

The games should be available on Gamecenter and Center Ice. The regional games were in the past when NBC did regional games. Obviously the main game on your local NBC would be blacked out, but if you have a tv you get NBC.

Posted by jkrdevil on 02/20/11 at 12:34 AM ET

Once again, NBCSports.com is streaming the game. Can’t understand why my first comment was deleted.

Posted by Steve Lepore on 02/20/11 at 12:52 AM ET

Oops, didn’t realize this was posted on A2Y and here. My bad, George.

Posted by Steve Lepore on 02/20/11 at 12:53 AM ET

George Malik's avatar

Thanks, Steve!

Posted by George Malik from South Lyon, MI on 02/20/11 at 02:13 AM ET

RWBill's avatar

As if we needed any reminder that NHL, Inc., continues to do its best to Screw up the greatest game on the planet.

You pay subscription fees to NHL Center Ice or NHL Gamecenter, OR some nameless idiots may do both so kids can watch who live in different parts of the country, and there are still games that are blacked out legally, intentionally, so you CAN’T watch your favorite team?

WTF Bettman?

And has anyone at NHL, Inc., been to the west coast when the Wings play out there?  Do either the Rangers or Philly put 6,000 fans in Anaheim one night and 4 - 5,000 the next night in LA the way the Wings do?

What a crapfest full of ignorant pricks run NHL, Inc. !

Posted by RWBill from the open bar on The Hasek. on 02/20/11 at 12:05 PM ET

bezukov's avatar

This is total garbage.  We have NBC, Versus, and the NHL Network.  There is no reason all three of these games can’t be broadcasted nationally.  I’m glad I forked out the money for the poor product that is CenterIce, only to have this game swiped.  So I guess I’ll leave the big screen tv I bought for hockey turned off so I can watch on my 13 inch laptop screen.  So angry right now…

Posted by bezukov from the kids are alright. on 02/20/11 at 03:31 PM ET

Primis's avatar

Awesome.

Both NBC 8 out of Grand Rapids and NBC 10 out of Lansing are showing Caps game instead.  Guess which are the only two NBC stations I get access to?

In other words… I’m well within regional coverage, and they’re still not showing it.

Posted by Primis on 02/20/11 at 03:41 PM ET