The Malik Report

Wings Appear Healthy

Paul here for George.

Both Ericsson and Franzen are scheduled to play tonight and Conklin will start in goal.

Howard says he feels fine in practice but it looks like he won’t play the next two games.

Khan has all the information at Mlive.

Filed in: | The Malik Report | Permalink

Comments

Paul's avatar

Bob McKenzie reports Columbus has signed Michigan goalie Shawn Hunwick to an amateur tryout and will dress tonight as the backup to York.

Mason took a shot to the head this morning and is out.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 03/28/12 at 03:12 PM ET

mrfluffy's avatar

Ah, the back-up. So the Wings should lose, right?

Posted by mrfluffy from A wide spot on I-90 in Montana on 03/28/12 at 03:21 PM ET

ChowYunCat's avatar

Why does it feel like the Wings are on the bad end of every “NHL-first goal/shutout/hat trick”?

Posted by ChowYunCat on 03/28/12 at 03:34 PM ET

MsRedWinger's avatar

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 03/28/12 at 01:12 PM ET

As a Michigan fan, I’m hugely excited for Shawn.  He’s small, and wasn’t drafted by any NHL club.  But he’s very good, so I’m happy he may have a chance to play in the NHL.

A little disappointed to see Gus on the 4th line for tonight, but at least they didn’t send him down.  I have a feeling that if Mule isn’t up to snuff, Gus may see some time on Pav’s line.

LET’S GO RED WINGS !!!!!

Posted by MsRedWinger from Flori-duh on 03/28/12 at 03:48 PM ET

MOWingsfan19's avatar

Yeah, last games performance with Gus on Pav’s line was so bad he needed the boot down to the 6-8 minutes a night line against the worst team in the league.

Posted by MOWingsfan19 from I really like our team on 03/28/12 at 03:56 PM ET

ChowYunCat's avatar

Nyquist needs to fight so I can start using:

Posted by ChowYunCat on 03/28/12 at 04:01 PM ET

NIVO's avatar

i think gus should be right back on that 1st line. Mule coming back from injury should be 4th line and then is motivated to get his butt in gear to climb back up. #14 has shown nothing but good things, so why fix what isnt broken?

Posted by NIVO from underpants gnome village on 03/28/12 at 04:27 PM ET

WingedRider's avatar

Nivo   I Agree 100% with you on Franzen and Nyquist, Gus has performed better than Mule!!

Babs showing his favoritism to Vets whether they perform or not, see Cleary as another example.  Cleary is not Healthy, REST HIM, IMO

Posted by WingedRider from Saskatoon, SK on 03/28/12 at 04:37 PM ET

HockeytownOverhaul's avatar

agree with all, I"m disgusted with Babs and his handling of the players.  If scotty bowman was his “mentor” he sure as hell isn’t showing it.  Says people are given oppoprtunities.. make the most of it.. until someone who’s underachieving/performing comes back.. then they get their job back without trying.  If that shit happened at my job I’d be livid.  Then again it did take Babs 5 years to get the most out of Fil and he’s already admitted that this team really pretty much coaches itself.  Pretty cake spot to be in, might as well keep the gravy chain happy and chuggin’ along.  Make the playoffs, good to go.  Fuch developing young talent.  I may have an anurism the day Babs rewards effort with ice-time.

Posted by HockeytownOverhaul on 03/28/12 at 05:01 PM ET

tuxedoTshirt's avatar

Paranoia.

Posted by tuxedoTshirt from the Home of the 1937 World Champions on 03/28/12 at 05:07 PM ET

scotts0's avatar

Posted by WingedRider on 03/28/12 at 02:37 PM ET

Cleary’s not injured, he’s just not, and has never been good.  He’s a guy who should be traded/cut/sent down to the minors in place of Nyquist.

Posted by scotts0 from New York on 03/28/12 at 05:53 PM ET

I agree that Gus has been great the last few games, but Franzen is still the teams leading scorer. Sure he could have been better so far this year, but they need him to get it going before the playoffs, and what better way then by playing with Pav against the worst defense in the NHL.

It’s pretty clear from the Babs and Kenny’s comments the last few games that they want to get minutes for everyone coming back from injury before the important game friday night.  I dont see this as having any reflection on Gus’s performance, and I’m sure they told him that.  And I fully expect Babs to make that switch, if franzen struggles, but i dont expect it to happen tonight unless they are trailing.

Posted by jwad on 03/28/12 at 06:05 PM ET

Heaton's avatar

Posted by HockeytownOverhaul on 03/28/12 at 03:01 PM ET

So basically, Franzen should be on the 4th line?

rofl.

Posted by Heaton on 03/28/12 at 06:13 PM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

Looking back, I’m actually pretty amazed that Gramps is still as patient and sane as he is.

No idea how he does it.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 03/28/12 at 06:36 PM ET

Hippy Dave's avatar

Posted by Hippy Dave from Portland by way of Detroit on 03/28/12 at 07:07 PM ET

calquake's avatar

If scotty bowman was his “mentor” he sure as hell isn’t showing it.

I know I’m getting old and all but I don’t understand your statement.  When did Scotty ever play rookies over established vets?  He always went with vets, particularly in the playoffs.  So if you can give me an example of how Scotty went about this I’d be very interested.

Posted by calquake on 03/28/12 at 07:08 PM ET

mrfluffy's avatar

And I’m a young pup so I only saw a few years of Scotty where I really paid detailed attention but if you weren’t producing, you usually were held accountable. Just doesn’t seem the same with Babs. But still…what do I know about coaching a team to a Cup?

Posted by mrfluffy from A wide spot on I-90 in Montana on 03/28/12 at 07:12 PM ET

calquake's avatar

But still…what do I know about coaching a team to a Cup?

Posted by mrfluffy from Long Beach on 03/28/12 at 05:12 PM ET

Probably as much as I know… and that plus $3.50 will get you a Venti at Starbucks.

Posted by calquake on 03/28/12 at 07:15 PM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

Posted by Hippy Dave from Portland by way of Detroit on 03/28/12 at 05:07 PM ET

Awesome picture, any idea where it came from?

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 03/28/12 at 07:17 PM ET

mrfluffy's avatar

Posted by calquake on 03/28/12 at 05:15 PM ET

I’ll do $4 and a Coffee Bean and Tea Leaf Iced Caramel…

Ah bollocks I’ll just stick to drafting/drawing homes, retail spaces, and power lines then bitch later at night at my TV.

Posted by mrfluffy from A wide spot on I-90 in Montana on 03/28/12 at 07:20 PM ET

calquake's avatar

Probably going to miss the LB tonight but I’ll be watching on a crappy 19” hospital grade TV with my bro-in-law.  So remember to play nice… and don’t talk aboot my balls while I’m gone. grin

Posted by calquake on 03/28/12 at 07:25 PM ET

Hippy Dave's avatar

@JJ my friend posted on his facebook page.  Not sure where he got it…

Posted by Hippy Dave from Portland by way of Detroit on 03/28/12 at 07:44 PM ET