The Malik Report

Wings Spending More Time In The Offensive Zone

from Gregg Krupa of the Detroit News,

Jeff Blashill said the Detroit Red Wings had the most time in the offensive zone in two seasons, in the win Saturday against the Ottawa Senators.

Early it is, with just the third game of the season on tap Tuesday at 8:30 p.m. in Dallas.

But better territorial play is something the Wings have sought for a few seasons.

Along the power play, clicking at 22.2 percent, a perfect penalty kill, Jimmy Howard’s .961 save percentage, and the line of Dylan Larkin, Anthony Mantha and Martin Frk playing as if they can provide Henrik Zetterberg’s line with some second-line support this season, things are going pretty well.

continued

Filed in: | The Malik Report | Permalink

Comments

Posted by damndog from The Eastside of Detroit on 10/09/17 at 02:51 PM ET

Don’t bring your reality here, there are people trying to plan a Stanley Cup parade route.

Posted by CharDeeMacDennis on 10/09/17 at 03:11 PM ET

ilovehomers's avatar

Hate to be this guy, but before anyone gets too excited:

The power play has only actually scored on one power play (if that makes sense), so not sure “clicking” is the right word.

Also, FML is theprimary source of offense right now. smile

Not to mention that Howie and the PK can’t keep bailing the poor defense out at the rate that they have.

When does Razr get his chance? Thurs (Yotes) or Fri (G. Knights)?

Posted by ilovehomers on 10/09/17 at 03:14 PM ET

SnarkinLarkin's avatar

Nyquist has been flying out there, right out of the gate. That’s mighty encouraging. But the size of that #1 line does concern me.

Sheahan’s line seems to spend more time in their own zone by far than the others. Are they being matched against the other top lines in a shutdown role or are they just doing a poor job of clearing the D zone and entering the O zone?

Posted by SnarkinLarkin on 10/09/17 at 03:42 PM ET

ilovehomers's avatar

Posted by SnarkinLarkin on 10/09/17 at 03:42 PM ET

try this re: TOI (beginning of chart) and Zone starts (end of chart)

Posted by ilovehomers on 10/09/17 at 03:52 PM ET

I know that the weather man is predicting rain but today the sun is shining and I’m going to enjoy that fact.

Posted by Ventr on 10/09/17 at 04:00 PM ET

I’m going to use the FS defense here. Krupa is crazy, 2 games is way too small a sample size.

Posted by howeandhowe from Seattle on 10/09/17 at 04:07 PM ET

Alan's avatar

Posted by CharDeeMacDennis on 10/09/17 at 03:11 PM ET

To be fair, we’re not Leafs fans. Many of us here know there’s a lot this team is missing, but it’s always nice to see a positive step forward.

Posted by Alan from Atlanta on 10/09/17 at 04:21 PM ET

Royal Grand Exalted PooBah's avatar

Howie had maybe 5 or 6 shots go off the post or crossbar so it’s likely that a few of those go in next time. Sometimes it pays to be lucky.  Basically he stole the game.

Posted by Royal Grand Exalted PooBah from the basement of the Alamo on 10/09/17 at 09:37 PM ET

Also, FML is theprimary source of offense right now.

Tatar-[X]-Nyquist has rarely seemed like an effective line in my memory, as much as I like the two of them individually.

Posted by EthrDemon on 10/10/17 at 03:51 AM ET

try this re: TOI (beginning of chart) and Zone starts (end of chart)

Posted by ilovehomers on 10/09/17 at 03:52 PM ET

All I have learned from this link is that I don’t know who the top lines of Minnesota or Ottawa are

Posted by EthrDemon on 10/10/17 at 03:52 AM ET

Unfortunately, the line has been historically ineffective.  Early in their careers it seemed like it might be a good matchup and then the NHL got bigger and faster and two small fast guys on one line doesn’t seem to do well any longer.

Posted by neffernin on 10/10/17 at 02:29 PM ET