The Malik Report

Wings Skating In Scottsdale Today

via Ansar Khan tweet,

Wings on ice in Scottsdale. Datsyuk, Helm and DeKeyser skating. No sign of Franzen, who is traveling here today, and Gustavsson.

Ted Kulfan tweet,

Mrazek has a net...no Gustavsson

added 2:04pm, More from Khan,

Wings skating with these lines: Nyquist-Zetterberg-Alfredsson, Miller-Abdelkader/Datsyuk-Bertuzzi, Tatar-Andersson-Samuelsson

Cleary-Glendening/Helm-Eaves. The only defenseman not skating yet is Ericsson, who's still out about 2 more weeks with broken ribs.

added 2:20pm, Khan again,

Datsyuk is standing on the side for most of the drills as Abdelkader remains at center with Miller and Bertuzzi.

added 2:24pm, Even more Khan,

Datsyuk is practicing on first power play unit with Zetterberg and Bertuzzi up front and Kronwall and Alfredsson at points

Second power play unit has Cleary, Tatar and Nyquist up front and Kindl and Eaves at the points.

St. James on Franzen,

Johan Franzen has landed in Phoenix, but running late to skate. May just join Wings as they move on to San Jose, practice Wed.

Filed in: | The Malik Report | Permalink

Comments

TEMO's avatar

Ugh, Sammy in again

mad

Posted by TEMO from LANSING, MICHIGAN, U.S.A. on 01/07/14 at 02:18 PM ET

MoreShoot's avatar

Ugh, Sammy in again

Yes, but, as remote a possibility as it seems, they might think they can trade him, but they definitely can’t if he doesn’t play. He has to play or be waived, and if they were going to waive him, it would have happened by now.

Posted by MoreShoot on 01/07/14 at 02:28 PM ET

Paul's avatar

Big E took to the ice as practice was coming to a close, skated on his own.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 01/07/14 at 02:45 PM ET

HockeytownOverhaul's avatar

Hed have to agree to a trade MS

Posted by HockeytownOverhaul on 01/07/14 at 02:49 PM ET

Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit's avatar

YYZerman(my son) was at the rink today. He sent some practice picts. cool smile

Lets Go Red Wings!!!!!

Posted by Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit on 01/07/14 at 02:58 PM ET

Paul's avatar

St. James tweets-  DeKeyser says he is ready to play on Thursday.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 01/07/14 at 03:07 PM ET

Paul's avatar

Datsyuk says he feels better but unsure about Thursday according to Khan.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 01/07/14 at 03:08 PM ET

St. James tweets-  DeKeyser says he is ready to play on Thursday.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 01/07/14 at 03:07 PM ET

Good news.  I’m feeling a little better ‘bout our chances.

“...our two points,” said Eaves.

Posted by SYF from Alana Blanchard's Bikinis and Surfboards on 01/07/14 at 03:11 PM ET

Ugh, Sammy in again

I know.  If Tootoo was playing, it’d be a win for sure.

Posted by HockeyinHD on 01/07/14 at 03:20 PM ET

I know! Freaking get Sammy to grand rapids and give us Tootoo for some energy. I don’t care if tootoo can’t score, neither can Sammy. At least tootoo is good defensively, and forechecks. If tootoo causes penalties then I’d be upset but he’s fine for now.

Posted by Pasha1277 on 01/07/14 at 03:32 PM ET

Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit's avatar

Tootoo brings energy, a great attitude, and, a burning desire to play. He wants to win, and he leaves it all out there on the ice. Every. Single. Shift.

Why ,oh why, is he getting the shaft from Blabbles, and the powers that be?

Lets Go Red Wings!!!!!

Posted by Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit on 01/07/14 at 03:40 PM ET

Paul's avatar

per Khan, Helm is optimistic he can play Thursday but won’t know for sure until after skating two more times.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 01/07/14 at 03:45 PM ET

YYZerman's avatar

The rumors are true. I was at the practice today and the only thing I can add to this post is that Pavel was limping as he walked to the bus. Other than that, all the other wings skated pretty hard.

Posted by YYZerman from Detroit, Michigan on 01/07/14 at 04:58 PM ET

Posted by YYZerman from Detroit, Michigan on 01/07/14 at 04:58 PM ET

Thanks.  Well, Dangles has one more day of practice (Wed.) before we’ll find out for sure if he’s gonna go for Thursday night’s game.

Posted by SYF from Alana Blanchard's Bikinis and Surfboards on 01/07/14 at 05:07 PM ET

Damn work, would of gone to see practice in a heartbeat.

Two days is more then enough time for someone to get healthy and keep Sammy watching.  Although maybe he is motivated to show up all of us after his Olympic snub.

Posted by maltby18 on 01/07/14 at 06:35 PM ET

Why ,oh why, is he getting the shaft from Blabbles, and the powers that be?

It’s a mystery.  In fact, the whole NHL apparently has given him the shaft, since apparently nobody in the whole league wanted him on their 25 man roster at his current salary.

Collusion, I say!

Posted by HockeyinHD on 01/07/14 at 06:59 PM ET

Hootinani's avatar

Hed have to agree to a trade MS

Posted by HockeytownOverhaul on 01/07/14 at 02:49 PM ET

Cant imagine he would hold up a trade anywhere that would give him a chance to play.  He’s going to need a new contract and sitting on his thumbs all season wont make that happen.

Why ,oh why, is he getting the shaft from Blabbles, and the powers that be?

Babs is racist

Posted by Hootinani on 01/07/14 at 07:03 PM ET

It’s a mystery.

Most of what you think is a mystery.

At least Holland keeps Sammy in town so you can keep his pants warm in the presser. I guess that must be good motivation for you to come to big old scary Detroit.

Collusion, I say!

I think you mean delusion.

Posted by howeandhowe from Seattle on 01/07/14 at 07:20 PM ET

Most of what you think is a mystery.

I can imagine why you feel that way.

Bully!  Bully!  Internet bully!  Someone blow a digital rape whistle!  Malik!  Malik!  Where’s the internet police when you need them?

Posted by HockeyinHD on 01/07/14 at 08:32 PM ET

George Malik's avatar

1. I am still dealing with post-concussive crap. Thanks for asking.

2. Go blow a goat.

Posted by George Malik from South Lyon, MI on 01/07/14 at 08:41 PM ET

alwaysaurie's avatar

How are people able to read this and think that DeKeyser, Datsyuk, and Helm will be back but Samuelsson will play?

Nyquist-Zetterberg-Alfredsson, Miller-Abdelkader/Datsyuk-Bertuzzi, Tatar-Andersson-Samuelsson, Cleary-Glendening/Helm-Eaves.

Obviously two of these 14 won’t play… and the most likely are Samuelsson and Glendening if both Helm and Datsyuk can center lines

Posted by alwaysaurie on 01/07/14 at 08:43 PM ET

mrfluffy's avatar

2. Go blow a goat.

Posted by George Malik from South Lyon, MI on 01/07/14 at 08:41 PM ET

Sounds like you’re in game-shape to me.  smile

Posted by mrfluffy from A wide spot on I-90 in Montana on 01/07/14 at 09:23 PM ET

I can imagine why you feel that way.

I doubt that. You lack sincerity and empathy. You, the two things that make up human beings.

Bully!  Bully!  Internet bully!

Wah wah. “It’s a wonder you can talk.”

Someone blow a digital rape whistle!

Rape and what I am doing to you is so very different. Stop overreacting like Sammy’s orgasms.

Where’s the internet police when you need them?

You need the police to protect you? I thought you were the kind of person who could make someone “go fetal”?

2. Go blow a goat.
hidh can’t even get his mommy to like him.

Yippee!!!! Helm and Datsyuk are back and hihd has Sammy to cuddle with.

Posted by howeandhowe from Seattle on 01/07/14 at 09:26 PM ET

Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit's avatar

Posted by HockeyinHD on 01/07/14 at 06:59 PM ET

Your attempts at trolling are pathetic. Anyone that craves attention, even negative attention, the way you do, might benefit from psychiatric help. Seriously.

Lets Go Red Wings!!!!!

Posted by Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit on 01/07/14 at 10:31 PM ET

Next time you whine to the boss about name-calling, remember this post too.  And you wonder why it’s so hard to get credentials.  Very professional.

Posted by jkm2011 on 01/08/14 at 09:02 AM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

So why are you giving it to him?

There’s an actual hockey point to discuss in there.

Jordin Tootoo is an eminently more-likable hockey player than Mikael Samuelsson. It’s incredibly easy to root for Tootoo.  Mikael Samuelsson is a better hockey player than Jordin Tootoo and his contract is much worse/much less flexible.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 01/08/14 at 09:09 AM ET

Posted by howeandhowe on 01/07/14 at 09:26 PM ET

It’s good that you spent so much time responding to sarcasm as if it weren’t sarcasm.

Posted by jkm2011 on 01/08/14 at 09:02 AM ET

*#$%@& yourself.

Posted by Garth on 01/08/14 at 09:12 AM ET

It’s less flexible but I don’t necessarily agree that it’s much worse.  It’s off the books at the end of the season and nobody will have to pretend that Samuelsson deserves to be on the roster next year like they will about Tootoo.

Posted by Garth on 01/08/14 at 09:16 AM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

It’s less flexible but I don’t necessarily agree that it’s much worse.

Fair point. There’s still the option to buy out Tootoo’s last year, but I’m not particularly going to worry about what’s going to happen with Detroit’s last compliance buyout in the last summer it’s available until closer to June.

I’m still hoping somebody takes Tootoo off our hands, even if we have to retain salary to make it happen.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 01/08/14 at 09:35 AM ET

Paul's avatar

If I was in charge of the NY Rangers, I would have certainly taken Tootoo over Carcillo.  I wonder if there was any interest?

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 01/08/14 at 09:38 AM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

I’d be very curious to see whether Holland and Sather had any conversations (either in regards to Tootoo OR Del Zotto).

I have to think that Carcillo was just a better value for them, even though I think Tootoo is more a hockey player than Carcillo is.  Even if the Wings retained 50% of Tootoo’s salary, he’d still come in $125,000 more expensive than Carcillo and he’d still have another full year on his contract where Carcillo does not.

What’s more is that retaining 50% of Tootoo’s salary in such a trade only increases Detroit’s cap savings by $25,000 over just burying him ($975K cap hit for Tootoo in the minors versus a $950K retained salary cap hit if he’s traded).

All Los Angeles got in return for Carcillo was a conditional 7th rounder (and I can’t even find what the condition is).  Other than “future” considerations, it’s hard to get lower actual value for a player than that and the Wings seemingly would have to accept lower value than that in order to dump a player with a higher cap hit and more time left on a contract nobody wants.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 01/08/14 at 10:46 AM ET

I take my trolling very seriously. wink

I imagine Tootoo is back with Detroit next season. With Bertuzzi, Sammy, Cleary and Eaves all likely gone next season there is more room for Tootoo. Even if 2011-12 was a fluke season I like that he brings in toughness that can have some value over gliding on the ice and a few minutes at the point on the power play. I would think he would have motivation to show that he belongs after nearly a full season in GR. On the other hand he may just like his salary.

Will his Cap Hit be the same next season if he is still in GR? Is that a bad value considering how much cap space is coming off the books next season?

Posted by howeandhowe from Seattle on 01/08/14 at 11:55 AM ET

Tootoo has so much heart and a great spirit but Sammy seems simply there. Everybody in GR loves Tootoo so we are good with him staying here another year.

Posted by griffinsfan on 01/09/14 at 12:16 AM ET