The Malik Report

Wings Recall Riley Sheahan

DETROIT – The Detroit Red Wings today recalled center Riley Sheahan from the AHL’s Grand Rapids Griffins.

A native of St. Catherines, Ontario, Sheahan has skated in 23 games with the Griffins this season, recording 14 points (6-8-14) and 10 penalty minutes. He helped the Griffins to a Calder Cup in 2012-13, recording 36 points (16-20-36) in 72 regular-season games and tying for the AHL rookie lead in the playoffs with 16 points (3-13-16) in 24 games. Sheahan has also appeared in two career games with the Red Wings, recording four penalty minutes.

The 22-year-old forward was originally drafted by Detroit in the first round (21st overall) of the 2010 NHL Entry Draft. He spent three seasons at the University of Notre Dame, registering 64 points (20-44-64) and 74 penalty minutes from 2009-12.

Filed in: | The Malik Report | Permalink

Comments

Primis's avatar

I think this and Jurco’s call-up speaks volumes as to Mikael Samuelsson.

And I love it.

Posted by Primis on 12/16/13 at 04:11 PM ET

If only they would send a similar message regarding Dan Cleary.

Posted by Garth on 12/16/13 at 04:14 PM ET

Primis's avatar

If only they would send a similar message regarding Dan Cleary.

Posted by Garth on 12/16/13 at 04:14 PM ET

I can’t wait until this next summer when Holland re-signs Samuelsson and Cleary.  That’ll be the best.

Posted by Primis on 12/16/13 at 04:18 PM ET

Posted by Primis on 12/16/13 at 04:18 PM ET

I’d like to be able to laugh at that…

Posted by Garth on 12/16/13 at 04:21 PM ET

Red Winger's avatar

I’d like to be able to laugh at that…

Posted by Garth on 12/16/13 at 04:21 PM ET

You can still laugh at it, just not for the reasons you should be able to laugh at it

Posted by Red Winger from Sault Ste Marie on 12/16/13 at 05:10 PM ET

Isn’t Quincey going to be a free agent too..? Or do we have to suffer through another year of his treachery

Posted by Robert on 12/16/13 at 05:10 PM ET

MoreShoot's avatar

So, if Sammy is obviously done, why isn’t he being waived?  That’s the only solution left, right?

Posted by MoreShoot on 12/16/13 at 05:21 PM ET

Alan's avatar

Posted by MoreShoot on 12/16/13 at 05:21 PM ET

I daresay his presence in the locker room might actually be of some value. I’d rather he be a locker room and press box presence, than a presence on the ice, that’s for sure.

Posted by Primis on 12/16/13 at 04:18 PM ET

Ye Gods. I hope you’re wrong, but I bet you’re right.

Posted by Alan from Atlanta on 12/16/13 at 05:30 PM ET

RhymeTimeWingsDings's avatar

Can we start booing Kyle Quality yet?

Posted by RhymeTimeWingsDings on 12/16/13 at 08:08 PM ET

redxblack's avatar

Waiving Samuelsson will do nothing for the wings besides open a bench spot. Since he’s 35+, they get no cap relief. Sitting in the press box is the same as waiving him for all real consequence.

Posted by redxblack from Akron Ohio on 12/16/13 at 10:11 PM ET

awould's avatar

Samuellson, Cleary and Quincey are all in the last year of their contracts. I can’t think of any scenario where the Wings get rid of them this season. Next year will be a huge change. Pretty much all the dead weight can be rid of. As much as people joke, I don’t see any of these three being re-signed. The most likely of the three is Quincey and only if/when they can’t bring in a top 3 dman. Bertuzzi is also a UFA and I have no idea what the plan is for him.

This season is a rough transition and I don’t see them going far in the playoffs, if they even make it which is looking less likely with every new injury.

Posted by awould on 12/17/13 at 11:19 AM ET