The Malik Report

Wings Recall Emmerton Who Will Play Tonight

DETROIT – The Detroit Red Wings today recalled center Cory Emmerton from the AHL’s Grand Rapids Griffins. Emmerton is slated to be in the lineup tonight as the Red Wings take on the New York Rangers on the road tonight at 7:00 p.m..

added 4:11pm,

Filed in: | The Malik Report | Permalink

Comments

MoreShoot's avatar

I don’t want to know why

Posted by MoreShoot on 01/16/14 at 04:09 PM ET

MoreShoot's avatar

Ha ha ha ha ha.  Life lessons in the futility of hope; the meaninglessness of commitment.

Posted by MoreShoot on 01/16/14 at 04:21 PM ET

Figaro's avatar

Another day, another Wing down…

Posted by Figaro from Los Alamos, NM on 01/16/14 at 04:26 PM ET

MoreShoot's avatar

After a while, how can you not laugh?

Posted by MoreShoot on 01/16/14 at 04:31 PM ET

Figaro's avatar

After a while, how can you not laugh?

Posted by MoreShoot on 01/16/14 at 04:31 PM ET

I’d be careful about that.  The way things are going, too much laughter might cause a lower-upper body injury. smile

Posted by Figaro from Los Alamos, NM on 01/16/14 at 04:36 PM ET

So when is Piet Van Zant fired for all this? I imagine all these injuries fall on the training staff considering the team has had considerable days off the past couple weeks.

Posted by jpellek on 01/16/14 at 04:39 PM ET

Chris in Hockey Hell's avatar

At this point, I’m assuming that “day-to-day” means “after the Olympics”. Geez.

Posted by Chris in Hockey Hell from Ann Arbor, MI but LIVING in Columbia, TN on 01/16/14 at 04:52 PM ET

Soupsnake's avatar

Another Wing down. I’m convinced, after the past 3 years, that the Wing’s have the absolute worst medical/physical therapy/training staff in the entire world of professional sports. This is unreal. We have some of the best/highest paid players in the world but we cant afford a decent doctor/trainer to keep our guys on the ice?

Posted by Soupsnake from Canton, Mi on 01/16/14 at 04:54 PM ET

Groin, I am sure.

This is an epidemic with this team. And for the groin problem alone, that training staff needs to have a consultation. Something is wrong.

Posted by VitoLambruski on 01/16/14 at 04:56 PM ET

Alan's avatar

You know it’s bad when even the replacements are going down like flies.

In other news, Kyle Quincey has managed to play in all Red Wings games this season. Keep that in mind as you read all these injury reports.

Posted by Alan from Atlanta on 01/16/14 at 05:07 PM ET

MoreShoot's avatar

You sure this is not a player rebellion against Babcock/Holland?

Posted by MoreShoot on 01/16/14 at 05:26 PM ET

HockeytownOverhaul's avatar

All the injuries even with all this rest.  Always getting days off during long stretches instead of practicing the powerplay.  Every clump of games ia framed as a log jam.  Well it is for every team every year bc this ia the NHL and thats how it is.  But i havent seen another team talk abput how tired they are all the time or how tough the schedule is.  Even after their switch east theyre still complaining about jet lag?  Overall this team seems to hvr a lot of guys delicate between the ears that want to be background plyers.  Likr babs mentioned guys that hopethe puck doesnt come to them.  Im just waiting for someone on the team to right the ship and start bringinf some consistency

Posted by HockeytownOverhaul on 01/16/14 at 06:23 PM ET

squirrely's avatar

My thoughts exactly.  I know injuries happen but it just seems like these groin issues are constantly happening to the wings.  A new strength and condition regiment can’t hurt, right?

Posted by squirrely from Dirty Jersey on 01/16/14 at 06:29 PM ET

Hootinani's avatar

Injuries left the Penguins with just 10 full-time forwards at practice.

Just 10?

I laugh at there relative health and well being.

Posted by Hootinani on 01/16/14 at 06:43 PM ET

George Malik's avatar

I talked about auditing the Wings’ training, strength and conditioning and nutritional staffs a while ago. I still believe that that’s the answer—I’ve seen how hard Piet Van Zant, Pete Renzetti and the rest of the trainers and doctors work, and they do not intend for this kind of stuff to happen.

Something’s not being done efficiently enough, and things can clearly be improved upon. You don’t need to fire people to send a message per se—you need to find ways to do jobs better.

Posted by George Malik from South Lyon, MI on 01/16/14 at 06:45 PM ET

George Malik's avatar

You can only take panic one day at a time. Looking at the whole mountain the Wings have to climb…Dude, I have an anxiety disorder, I’m nervous enough about tonight.

Posted by George Malik from South Lyon, MI on 01/16/14 at 07:01 PM ET

Dear Gord, this is just too much.  Maybe even Blabcock needs to fix his plays or something as well.

Posted by SYF from Alana Blanchard's Bikinis and Surfboards on 01/16/14 at 07:06 PM ET