The Malik Report

Wings Practice Update

added 1:05pm, from Ansar Khan of Mlive,

Quick update following Detroit Red Wings practice Thursday at Joe Louis Arena, in preparation for Friday's home game vs. Minnesota:

Coach Mike Babcock has split up Pavel Datsyuk and Henrik Zetterberg, in an effort to boost the sputtering offense (four goals in three games).

continued

Filed in: | The Malik Report | Permalink

Comments

« Previous        < 1 2

alukacs's avatar

Don’t get me wrong, Quincy drives me crazy when he is swinging his stick around like he just downloaded a light-sabre app instead of playing the body... But we are doing quite okay 5 on 5… we were good on the boards against CBJ and Dallas… once we sort out the PK and the PP starts scoring, we should be fine.

Sure, I would like them to sign awesome free agents and trade dead weight for quality D, but given the constraints of the CBA, Detroit is doing very well…

Posted by alukacs on 01/24/13 at 06:20 PM ET

HockeytownOverhaul's avatar

I agree, I’m ok with taking this team and seeing what happens, dont’ have a choice and I like the core.  I just don’t agree with bringing players like Sammy back instead of putting a young person in there.  I think Holland does it to hedge his bets as part of the injury relief strategy througout the year.  I think the Helm thing reinforced this when he got called up in 08 and became a stud.  I don’t think it’s helping Tatar or Nyquist playing handily over most players int he AHL when they could up here contributing and keeping developmental momentum by playing against higher caliber players.

Do wish we’d have gotten Garrison or Salo though, but you can’t go back.

I’m ok with not landing free-agents as long as we’re playing our home-grown talent, not retreads on their last legs to play with a dynamo core on the downside of their peak but still very high calibur players.

Posted by HockeytownOverhaul on 01/24/13 at 07:08 PM ET

Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit's avatar

Ron Wilson’s available I hear.

That’s cruel.

Lets Go Red Wings!!!!!

Posted by Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit on 01/24/13 at 07:35 PM ET

gowings's avatar

Wow…just came back from work and all I see here almost is “fire Babs” just wow….I know I have been defending the man, but as several mentioned, we just don’t have the proper “tools” to compete. Although I do agree that some players are too “comfortable”, I am also a strong believer in “hard work”. I mentioned this before, I hate my boss, but still work my butt off. I am not doing my dream job, and I don’t earn millions and yet still give my best. Some of these players need to look themselves in the mirror. It is also the job of the captain to motivate his troops. Do you guys really think that having a new coach will win us a second round in the playoffs? That Franzen will become a workhorse? Or will it make Pavel stay longer? I am frustrated too, but as my husband pointed out, we are fortunate to have such a long playoff run. We are fortunate enough (for must of us) to really appreciate our cups since 97 compare to other teams….hell we could be stuck being Maple Leafs fan!!!!!!! LOL

Posted by gowings from MTL on 01/24/13 at 07:45 PM ET

NIVO's avatar

Francis and Quinkey for rights to Subban, you just freed up the cash and dropped dead weight to go get Subban. Offer a 6 yr 5.3/yr deal. Done deal, Subban playing for us next week. Come on tick tock.

Posted by NIVO from underpants gnome village on 01/24/13 at 07:59 PM ET

MoreShoot's avatar

Subban is not leaving Mtl.

Posted by MoreShoot on 01/24/13 at 08:33 PM ET

MoreShoot's avatar

And Mtl not dumb enough to take on those two.

Posted by MoreShoot on 01/24/13 at 08:35 PM ET

but given the constraints of the CBA, Detroit is doing very well…

Your definition of “very well” is pretty loose…

Posted by Garth on 01/24/13 at 09:12 PM ET

WestWing's avatar

Subban is not leaving Mtl.

And Mtl not dumb enough to take on those two.

Posted by MoreShoot on 01/24/13 at 07:35 PM ET

Agreed.  That’s pretty much pie-in-the-sky thinking.  Besides, I’d be hard-pressed to believe that there is a GM in the league foolish enough to part with ANY significant assets to acquire a player the likes of Kyle Queasy.  You’d be damn lucky to get a bag of donuts in return.  Although, now that i think of it, I do enjoy a good donut now and then.

Posted by WestWing from Portland, Oregon on 01/24/13 at 10:13 PM ET

HockeytownOverhaul's avatar

Well they better give him his 6m quick, after this season he’s a FA if he doesn’t play and you aren’t going to win as many games without your top d-man, points are at a premium and going by fast

Posted by HockeytownOverhaul on 01/24/13 at 10:16 PM ET

calquake's avatar

but I think the Wings have a chance at getting another reload to work and I want to see if it’s actually possible before I call for them to gut the foundation and start from scratch.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 01/24/13 at 04:01 PM ET

I’m on board that train.

Posted by calquake on 01/24/13 at 10:31 PM ET

They got Q.. for a draft pick….. Risk?

No risk in that.  In five years Kyle Quincey is going to be a fading memory.  What’s the alternative?  Keep the first rounder and in five years he gets his second contract, which is one-way, comes to camp and almost makes the roster, instead being waived in favour of a 45-year old Ray Whitney?

Big risk.

Posted by Garth on 01/24/13 at 10:35 PM ET

calquake's avatar

In five years Kyle Quincey is going to be a fading memory.

You’re being far too kind.

Posted by calquake on 01/24/13 at 10:58 PM ET

alukacs's avatar

“but given the constraints of the CBA, Detroit is doing very well…

Your definition of “very well” is pretty loose…”

@Garth - i know it will sound like I’m toeing the party line, but we are in the mix every year. Well, last year I was not comfortable with our first round match-up… Again, name a non-lottery, ex bottom-feeder them that does better than us…

Posted by alukacs on 01/24/13 at 11:32 PM ET

PaulinMiamiBeach's avatar

once we sort out the PK and the PP starts scoring, we should be fine.

how many years have we been saying that?

Posted by PaulinMiamiBeach on 01/25/13 at 01:15 PM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

once we sort out the PK and the PP starts scoring, we should be fine.

how many years have we been saying that?

One.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 01/25/13 at 01:55 PM ET

PaulinMiamiBeach's avatar

I’d say it’s longer, but I’ll stipulate one year to make the obvious point…

one MONTH is too long.

Posted by PaulinMiamiBeach on 01/25/13 at 02:21 PM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

I’d say it’s longer,

So it extends to the year where Detroit had the #5 power play in the league?

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 01/25/13 at 02:41 PM ET