The Malik Report

Wings Practice Update

added 1:05pm, from Ansar Khan of Mlive,

Quick update following Detroit Red Wings practice Thursday at Joe Louis Arena, in preparation for Friday's home game vs. Minnesota:

Coach Mike Babcock has split up Pavel Datsyuk and Henrik Zetterberg, in an effort to boost the sputtering offense (four goals in three games).

continued

Filed in: | The Malik Report | Permalink

Comments

1 2 >       Next »

HockeytownOverhaul's avatar

Really need Helm back on the ice, so much more dangerous a club.

Posted by HockeytownOverhaul on 01/24/13 at 01:50 PM ET

MoreShoot's avatar

What about Sammy?

Posted by MoreShoot on 01/24/13 at 02:03 PM ET

Colquhoun's avatar

Fil?  Good Grief!

Posted by Colquhoun on 01/24/13 at 02:04 PM ET

Colquhoun's avatar

Really need Helm back on the ice, so much more dangerous a club.

Ditto.  Plus we will be “slightly” better at the PK.

Posted by Colquhoun on 01/24/13 at 02:06 PM ET

cigar_nurse's avatar

Fil looked to be laboring a bit in the corners last game but had a great effort. If those pesky goalposts didn’t get in the way, he would have 4-5 goals allready.

The big thing we miss with Helmer out of the lineup is his SPEED. That is the thing that is lacking the most I feel in the first 3 games.

Posted by cigar_nurse from Greenville South Cakalakee on 01/24/13 at 02:28 PM ET

MoreShoot's avatar

i would say mental speed, and effort, in general.  I thought they’ve responded to play like a team playing without any confidence (and how could you blame them).

The other thing—I think the biggest thing—is the horrible decisions attempting to move the puck.  It starts with being sluggish in our end, but the transition from D to forwards just isn’t there at all.

Posted by MoreShoot on 01/24/13 at 02:33 PM ET

yzer19man's avatar

Just hope the boys are getting all their injuries out of their systems now, in anticipation for a playoff run. If everyone can be back in 3-4 weeks, and Kenny is able to swing a trade for a defenseman, using one or two of our extra forwards as bait, we will be fine. Unfortunately, I have a hard time believing the injury bug will be over anytime soon. We are too fragile of a team. Kenny needs to be thinking about signing or trading for some non-glass slipper types of players.

Posted by yzer19man from Chicago, IL on 01/24/13 at 02:39 PM ET

RedMenace's avatar

*#$%@& finally.

Granted it was only two and a half games, but still.

Ericsson (and someone else) is getting traded to Montreal for the rights to Subban. wink

Posted by RedMenace from the Church of Jesus Lashoff on 01/24/13 at 03:25 PM ET

PaulinMiamiBeach's avatar

i would say mental speed, and effort, in general

all game on Monday and Tuesday (except for the first period Monday) it seemed like the Wings took 3-5 seconds longer than the other team to get the puck out of their own zone.  thanks to being so sluggish on the outlet passes, the open players weren’t open because it was so easy for the opposing team to read.  so the Wings would turn the puck over and then the other team would VERY QUICKLY outlet a pass to an OPEN player because the Wings hadn’t yet gotten organized to play defense.  very frustrating to watch.  do the coaches not see it?  do they see it and not say anything? or do they say something and the players don’t respond?

it may very well be time for a coaching change.

Posted by PaulinMiamiBeach on 01/24/13 at 03:26 PM ET

it may very well be time for a coaching change.

Really?  You’re going to blame the coaches for not being able to draw blood (ie. good play) from these stones (mostly AHLers and castoffs from other teams)?

Posted by Garth on 01/24/13 at 03:29 PM ET

Guilherme's avatar

I’m not claiming for a massive firing now (not right now), but you can’t deny this team looks demotivativated for at least three seasons.

Posted by Guilherme from Brazsil on 01/24/13 at 03:41 PM ET

RedMenace's avatar

Posted by Garth on 01/24/13 at 02:29 PM ET

I don’t really blame Babcock for trying the DBZ line, but it just left the 2nd line too thin talent-wise. Hey, at least he’s making changes early this year (due to the compressed schedule, I’m sure).

I still can’t, for the life of me, understand why Quick Stop and Smith are still together. I know the Wings are giving him every chance to prove himself, but Smith needs a more solid, stay-at-home guy right now.

Posted by RedMenace from the Church of Jesus Lashoff on 01/24/13 at 03:42 PM ET

HockeytownOverhaul's avatar

Posted by

RedMenace

from the darkest recesses on 01/24/13 at 02:42 PM ET

He’s making Smith work on his two-way game.  Lidas could shut you down and score on you, even with Ian White as his partner.  Pairing Smitty and Qball is the perfect excercise for Smith work on the same skills.

Posted by HockeytownOverhaul on 01/24/13 at 03:48 PM ET

Hootinani's avatar

That would be creative thinking, and we all know Holland and Co. sacrificed that to the cap.

Smith needs a more solid, stay-at-home guy right now.

Smith needed to play with Lidstrom when the opportunity was available.  But why have your supposed future stud defenseman learn from the greatest 2-way dman to ever play the game?

Posted by Hootinani on 01/24/13 at 03:52 PM ET

PaulinMiamiBeach's avatar

no.  as I posted there are three options: the coaches aren’t seeing what needs to be fixed; they’re seeing it but not fixing it; or the players aren’t responding.  no matter which of the 3 is happening, a coaching change is the only fix.

and it’s not just AHLers and castoffs who aren’t playing well.  also, I’d call it “not playing hard” rather than “not playing well.”  playing well comes from playing hard, and I don’t see much effort out there.  it’s the same problem that has plagued this team for a few years now, no matter who the players are.  that points to coaching.

Posted by PaulinMiamiBeach on 01/24/13 at 03:52 PM ET

Hootinani's avatar

If that was his plan, I wish he had just bought a cardboard cut out of Quincey and saved us the 1st round pick.  The cut out would probably have a better +/-.

Posted by Hootinani on 01/24/13 at 03:57 PM ET

MoreShoot's avatar

Or maybe it points to leadership.  How long has it been since Draper retired?

Posted by MoreShoot on 01/24/13 at 03:58 PM ET

Guilherme's avatar

Or maybe it points to leadership.  How long has it been since Draper retired?

Not only Draper’s out-loud-leadership, but also a bit of if-you’re-not-the-best-work-your-butt-off-every-second Helm’s leadership.

Posted by Guilherme from Brazsil on 01/24/13 at 04:02 PM ET

RedMenace's avatar

Posted by HockeytownOverhaul on 01/24/13 at 02:48 PM ET

Oh, you optimist, you.

Posted by Hootinani on 01/24/13 at 02:57 PM ET

Might stop more shots from getting through as well.

Posted by RedMenace from the Church of Jesus Lashoff on 01/24/13 at 04:03 PM ET

CaptainDennisPolonich's avatar

It’s no secret around here that I have never been an Uncle Mike fan, but firing him after three games?  That’s crazy talk. Thank Dog, the Iliitches and Kenny are not The Buss’s and Kupchak. They fired the Laker coach after five games and look how well that has worked for them. The time to fire Babs was after last season and a first round elimination to Bubba in five games. The Wings do need to move on from Babs, but now is not the time. I can’t ever see the brain trust making a coaching change during the season. Sorry Paul, but we’re stuck with him for at least this season.

Posted by CaptainDennisPolonich from The Land of Fake Boobs and Real Nuts on 01/24/13 at 04:06 PM ET

Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit's avatar

I concur. Babcock has had the best of the best as far as talent and players, and, the players seem to have tuned him out.

He has been the Coach for 7 years. It’s time to make some, Ch-ch-ch-ch-Changes.

Lets Go Red Wings!!!!!

Posted by Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit on 01/24/13 at 04:22 PM ET

Down River Dan's avatar

Wow! I can’t believe were even broaching the topic of dumping Uncle Mike???

Wings should thank anahein every day for cutting him loose.

I believe Babs is the best coach in any sport period.

The guy is smart and if you ever hear him interviewed ( besides between periods or for 30 sec after a game) he always mentions how he is looking at other successful people and trying to learn from them.

The Wings would be crazy to dump this guy, and 29 other teams would jump at the chance to hire him.

Posted by Down River Dan on 01/24/13 at 04:22 PM ET

MoreShoot's avatar

I blame Amway

Posted by MoreShoot on 01/24/13 at 04:27 PM ET

Guilherme's avatar

Mentioned on twitter yesterday, that I thought of Babcock when I saw Bill Simmons describing NBA coaches:

There are two types of coaches …

1. A coach who looks at his players and says, “How can I put these guys in the best position for them to succeed?”

2. A coach who looks at his players and says, “How can I use these guys to make my system succeed?”

Now, think about the mind-set driving Coach No. 2: He’s basically saying, “I’m here only because of my system. I can’t actually coach. If you give me the wrong players for my system, it doesn’t matter — I will keep using the system anyway, because Plan B would be coming up with a more inventive way to coach these guys. And I can’t do that. I’m not good enough. So if it’s OK with you, I’d like to go down in flames with my system.”

A bit harsh on the words, but isnt that Babcock’s way of doing things? “Try my way, and if doesn’t work, try harder”?

Posted by Guilherme from Brazsil on 01/24/13 at 04:32 PM ET

PaulinMiamiBeach's avatar

it’s not just three games, Captain.  it’s three SEASONS.  it’s been the EXACT same problems, the EXACT same lack of effort, for THREE SEASONS.

Posted by PaulinMiamiBeach on 01/24/13 at 04:38 PM ET

RorSchach's avatar

Okay.. Genius’ out there.. Say they do fire Uncle Mike.. Whom then becomes the coach? Who do you go out and get?

Posted by RorSchach from Datsberg on 01/24/13 at 04:46 PM ET

Down River Dan's avatar

Hmmm…..I remember this guy who in 1994 took over a team with a high powered offense led by its captain and while attempting to implement his “system”, which required the captain to be more defensive minded, nearly traded away that captain. The captain changed his game and conformed to the new coaches “system”. The captain no longer scored 65 goals a season, but instead had to be happy simply having his name engraved on a silly silver trophy not once,not twice,but three times as a player.

Maybe conforming to system is not such a bad idea after all ??

Posted by Down River Dan on 01/24/13 at 04:47 PM ET

RorSchach's avatar

Not implying negative insults to people. But I see all the talk about fire so and so. Fire so and so, trade so and so. Say you trade for a big namer. And give up quite a bit. What happens if he doesn’t pan out.. You’ve lost assets and you still stuck. You fire Uncle Mike, whom is the replacement goat that we’ll soon all bash? Someone from College? AHL? I don’t really know who’s out there.. I do really want Tic Tock gone though.. And have Stevie Y return.

Posted by RorSchach from Datsberg on 01/24/13 at 04:47 PM ET

Posted by PaulinMiamiBeach on 01/24/13 at 03:38 PM ET

And it’s not like he hasn’t had the same talent he had when they won the Cup and then made it back to the finals the following year, right?

Oh, wait…

Posted by Garth on 01/24/13 at 04:52 PM ET

What happens if he doesn’t pan out.

You’re right, why bother ever taking a risk?

Posted by Garth on 01/24/13 at 04:54 PM ET

RorSchach's avatar

They got Q.. for a draft pick….. Risk?

Posted by RorSchach from Datsberg on 01/24/13 at 04:55 PM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

Do we not think that the team got worse every year since the summer of 2009?  Strictly from a personnel standpoint, not from a “how are these guys actually doing”, but “how well can these guys actually do?” Standpoint?

I think the team needs to be motivated better and needs to focus better on the ice.  I absolutely think that’s a coaching thing.

I think that there are players on the roster who feel too secure in their jobs and think that I’d rather have a less skilled and/or developed guy in their place sometimes who I feel wants to be there more because that dynamic pushes the younger guy to improve and the older guy to keep working to keep his place.

But I don’t think Babcock fits into Simmons description of a coach who is too rigid in his system. Considering what he had the Red Wings doing in the Spring of 2009 to even get them into the playoffs because he simply didn’t have the skilled players healthy to play the system he liked to play?  The Wings’ system has adjusted, but the personnel have also degraded.

They’re not good enough, but I think they get significantly worse without Babcock.  Maybe that’s necessary. I’d rather go through a rebuild than watch the Wings become the Calgary Flames year-after-year…. but I think the Wings have a chance at getting another reload to work and I want to see if it’s actually possible before I call for them to gut the foundation and start from scratch.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 01/24/13 at 05:01 PM ET

RorSchach's avatar

And I was more or less saying that I recall some people asking for Fil, Franzen, TaTar, Gus, and Jurco to be traded. And someone saying send Smith and Ny, and Fil for someone.. I mean, you’re sending all your assets away. That’s not exactly being smart. But hey. I’m not a GM.

Posted by RorSchach from Datsberg on 01/24/13 at 05:08 PM ET

HockeytownOverhaul's avatar

I’d send assets out to get proven NHL talent in return, or I’d play the assets and find out if they can prove themselves NHL talent.  Tatar should’ve been on the team this year, bottom line.  Nyquist as well.

Someone made the point on another site that Hollands approach based on recent comments seems to be keep good young talent down as longa s you can and sign pluggable vets in up top and in the event you have significant injuries you always have good people to plug into the hole.  The problem is chemistry and culture though.  I feel like the young people on other teams help invigorate the vets.  Here it seems more and more like the DRW country club as far as consistancy of work ethic.  When I see a player habitually, year after year, doing the same unproductive shit, why doesn’t a hungry player get a chance at his job?  I do agree with you on Babs in that regard, players feel too comfortable with their jobs, don’t have a sense of urgency a lot of times.

I used to brag all the time about how hard detroit worked and that was why we were better than Cbus, not because of the skill.  It was because our skill worked like 3rd line grinders.  Don’t find that to be the case at all anymore though we do have a couple consistant amazing forwards.

Posted by HockeytownOverhaul on 01/24/13 at 05:26 PM ET

HockeytownOverhaul's avatar

All that said, we’re worse off without Babs.  Especially considering any replacement we’d get.  Ron Wilson’s available I hear.

Come on.  Babs only problem with players tuning him out is not cracking the ice-time whip.

Posted by HockeytownOverhaul on 01/24/13 at 05:28 PM ET

CaptainDennisPolonich's avatar

Posted by PaulinMiamiBeach on 01/24/13 at 03:38 PM ET

I hear ya. You’re preaching to the choir. But the Brain Trust will never make a coaching change during the season; the Illitches don’t believe in it. It has only happened once in their 30 year stewardship of the Red Wings; Harry Neale was fired 35 games into the 85-86 season and they missed the playoffs for the first time in three years.

Babs is only part of the problem. The biger problem is that this is not a good team. We have Dats, Z, Kronner and Jimmah. That’s it for top flight talent.

We have a true #1 line with Dats, Z and fill in the blank.  Then we have three #4 lines. Too much of the supporting cast is just not that good. Everyone is waiting for Helmer to return. I love Helm. I have a Helm jersey, but he is a hard working speedster that unfortunately has hands of stone.  He just has never learned to finish like we all hoped he would. Mule? That guy has top flight talent but he needs a change of zip code to somehwere in the Eastern conference. Samy? Sheeet, I thought he was out of hockey until I saw him on the ice the other night. At least Mule, Flip and Samy have averaged .5pt/game over there careers. Abby, Emm, Miller, etc. are in the .2pt/game range; that’s not gonna crack the top two lines on the top teams.

Defense? There is none. Kronner that’s it. Hopefully, Smith develops into a top 2.

This team desparately needs talent. In a salary cap league,FA is not an option. You can plug a hole but not build team. There just aren’t enough late round gems anymore, not unless they start playing hockey in BRIC and Hakan Anderson gets a head start there. (Minus the R for Russia, of course)

I am hoping and praying the Wings miss the playoffs. The best thing for this team would be to finish in the bottom 4. We need Seth Jones. If we could miss the playoffs for three years, we could stock up on talent for a nice 6-8 year run. THAT is the model going forward. It’s the only way to get the depth of talent necessary to win in the playoffs.

Posted by CaptainDennisPolonich from The Land of Fake Boobs and Real Nuts on 01/24/13 at 05:34 PM ET

RorSchach's avatar

I’ve still yet you hear whom a suitable replacement would be..

Posted by RorSchach from Datsberg on 01/24/13 at 05:35 PM ET

alukacs's avatar

One of the biggest assets of this team is Uncle Mike… Letting him go would be a tremendous mistake. And it won’t happen any time soon.

That is just silly. If you watched the Ducks under Uncle Mike and the Wings, you realize that those are two very differently coached organizations. While not a comparison from the NHL, did you watch his Canadian Olympic Hockey team? Or remember the season when we had “no team” and dumped and chased ourselves into the playoffs?

This team does nothing, but achieves. We were leading the NHL last year, we had an average of 108 points (?) since 05 lockout… Yes, early on the Central was a joke, but the last 3-4 years, it has been one of the most competitive divisions in the league. Name a non-lottery team that did better than the Wings since ’08!

I think many of you confuse the calm, focused and professional attitude of our leaders with disinterestedness – leading by example: #19, #5, #33, #40, etc. I was impressed with the pressure they put on Dallas being down by 2 – while maintaining their composure (except #93, but that is no surprise)…

Posted by alukacs on 01/24/13 at 05:36 PM ET

HockeytownOverhaul's avatar

Alukacs, I liked what they did against Dallas too.  But by disinterested it’s being soft during puck battles or reaching with your stick instead of moving your feet.  We had a good group of forwards busting their ass but a good amount to making it “look”  like they were moving by exaggerating their movements but really were just trying to keep up.

Posted by HockeytownOverhaul on 01/24/13 at 05:55 PM ET