The Malik Report

Wings Play A Great Road Game, But…

from Ansar Khan of Mlive,

Daniel Cleary was cut by a high stick, Brendan Smith was dazed by a blindside hit, and the Detroit Red Wings felt they were burned by the officiating Wednesday.

The Red Wings played a strong defensive game against the reigning Stanley Cup champion Los Angeles Kings, holding a one-goal lead much of the night.

But, they took one penalty too many, and it cost them, as the Kings scored twice in the final 10 minutes to pull out a 2-1 victory at Staples Center.

continued

Filed in: | The Malik Report | Permalink

Comments

Daniel Cleary was cut by a high stick

Absolutely, certainly was not.

The one penalty that really cost them was Datsyuk’s on the faceoff -putting them down two men for nearly two full minutes- and there’s nobody to blame for that but Datsyuk.

Posted by Garth on 02/28/13 at 11:38 AM ET

OlderThanChelios's avatar

The blind-side hit by Penner on Smith was far worse than the hit Smith made on Ben Smith in the 2011 preseason game. Brendan got a major and a ludicrous six-game suspension for that one – and it was an accidental hit (caused mostly because Ben Smith lowered his head at the last second).

What Penner did last night was intentional and blatant. If there’s no suspension for that, the league will be an even bigger joke than it already is.

As for Pavel’s “penalty,” he didn’t try to move the puck with his hand. His hand never left his stick handle, and that’s what he used to move the puck. If the puck touched his hand in the process, so what?

The Wings deserved a better outcome. The refs deserved to spend the night in the penalty box.

Posted by OlderThanChelios from Grand Rapids, MI on 02/28/13 at 11:43 AM ET

That’s completely ridiculous.

If the puck touched his hand in the process, so what?

So that’s the penalty.

Posted by Garth on 02/28/13 at 11:47 AM ET

Paul's avatar

Here is the Penner hit on Smith if you missed it.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 02/28/13 at 11:48 AM ET

OlderThanChelios's avatar

That’s completely ridiculous.

Oh, I’m sorry. I should have checked with the all-knowning Garth before I made that statement. My sincere apologies.  raspberry

Posted by OlderThanChelios from Grand Rapids, MI on 02/28/13 at 11:59 AM ET

Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit's avatar

So,I wasn’t the only one that saw that.

Lets Go Red Wings!!!!!

Posted by Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit on 02/28/13 at 12:50 PM ET

detroitredwings's avatar

The refs were one-sided yesterday, intentionally or not. Just saying. Which is not an excuse for a loss, but still - a fact.

Posted by detroitredwings on 02/28/13 at 01:49 PM ET

bleep bloop's avatar

You have to score more than 0 goals to win and last night Bernier scored more than the Red Wings did
Tonight’s game will be worse because the Sharks suck but I get the feeling Gustavsson will have to steal the game

Posted by bleep bloop on 02/28/13 at 03:52 PM ET

bleep bloop's avatar

Also because the refs wear teal

Posted by bleep bloop on 02/28/13 at 03:53 PM ET

TreKronor's avatar

Is it just me, or did Smith look to embellish that a bit???

Posted by TreKronor on 02/28/13 at 04:36 PM ET

John W.'s avatar

From Babs in the article:

“I thought we did a lot of good things,’’ he said. “I liked my D. We made some mistakes, but I still liked them. Six of them can skate and move the puck, which is positive to see.’‘

Man, is he giving it to White, or what?

Posted by John W. from a bubble wrap cocoon on 02/28/13 at 04:39 PM ET

HockeytownOverhaul's avatar

How do they miss Penner hitting Smith when he doesn’t have the puck, but call Ericsson for tripping on a HIP CHECK.

Last night’s LA game is exactly what makes me bust out my tinfoil hat when the league talks about how tough it’d be to video review.  If they had video review, the stripes wouldn’t have been able to dictate the pace of the game like they did or give the other team as many ridiculous 5 on 3’s as they did.  What’d they get in LA?  A 2-1 comeback win for what was probably a sell-out crowd or close.  Probably got good ratings in an area where they’re trying to make hockey ratings relevant.

Sure they might have just missed all the non-calls against the Kings or the bad calls against the Wings.  But when it’s that one sided.  Come on.  Someone’s personality was leaking through or something but a contigent of stripes def doesn’t like a contigent on the Wings in that game.  Prior history?  I don’t know.  But that was a bad game for the officials to have on their resume.

Posted by HockeytownOverhaul on 02/28/13 at 04:41 PM ET