The Malik Report

Wings Need Points

The Wings had an off day yesterday and will practice today as they prepare for a road game against the New York Rangers on Thursday.

Ansar Khan of Mlive with a look at where the Wings stand right now...

Only five points separated nine teams before Monday’s games.

“We got to win another game; we need points badly,” Babcock said. “We’ll get a bit of a rest and get ready to compete hard.

“Bottom line is we just got to keep plugging, getting better. I wouldn’t bet against us.”...

“Goaltending has been really good on the road; that’s been a huge plus for us,” Babcock said. “We’re a team, with the way we score and the people we have out of the lineup, we need goaltending. You get past two (goals against), we’re in trouble.”...

Babcock also likes how some of the recent call-ups from the Grand Rapids Griffins are playing.

“The guys we called up play hard,” Babcock said. “Riley Sheahan, I thought, was great. (Luke) Glendening plays hard every night. (Tomas) Jurco when he was up played real well. So to me we’ve gotten a lot of good (play) from Grand Rapids.”

Filed in: | The Malik Report | Permalink

Comments

Figaro's avatar

“We got to win another game; we need points badly,” Babcock said

All hail the Gate-keeper to the Realm of the Blatantly Obvious!

Posted by Figaro from Los Alamos, NM on 01/14/14 at 09:35 AM ET

Alan's avatar

I sure hope some of our injured guys come back against the Rangers.

But I’m sure everyone hopes that, at this point.

Posted by Alan from Atlanta on 01/14/14 at 09:42 AM ET

Red Winger's avatar

All hail the Gate-keeper to the Realm of the Blatantly Obvious!

Posted by Figaro from Los Alamos, NM on 01/14/14 at 09:35 AM ET

smile

The same guy that told us that goalies who let the puck hit them are ‘reallygud’ goalies.

That’s our Uncle.

Posted by Red Winger from Sault Ste Marie on 01/14/14 at 09:50 AM ET

With our top players being injured it really gets old. It’s like I don’t really care that they’re injured anymore as long as we can win. but…. we can’t really win if they’re injured. It’s so frustrating having a team that is really half of what it could be.

Posted by Pasha1277 on 01/14/14 at 10:24 AM ET

TreKronor's avatar

All this time off may be good as far as letting the injured guys get healed up, but playing games every 3 nights is absolutely MURDER to gaining any flow.

Posted by TreKronor on 01/14/14 at 12:47 PM ET

Posted by TreKronor on 01/14/14 at 12:47 PM ET

This.  Ten thousand times this.^^^^

When the Wings get back from the Olympic break, we’re playing MTL and OTT on a B2B.  After that, it becomes an intensified race for points.  Just no slacking now.

Posted by SYF from Alana Blanchard's Bikinis and Surfboards on 01/14/14 at 12:51 PM ET