The Malik Report

Wings May Not Find A Fit With The UFA’s

from Helene St. James of the Detroit Free Press,

As NHL free agency heats up Wednesday — any unrestricted free agent can talk to any team, though not sign until Friday — the Wings’ focus is shifting more to keeping two of their own guys than bringing in someone new.

That’s because of prohibitive prices: Lecavalier, 34, wants a five-year deal averaging around $5 million a season; the Wings are too concerned about his pace to commit that much. Clarkson, of New Jersey, is pushing for seven years at a $6 million average; this for a guy who has one 30-goal season to his credit. Boston’s Nathan Horton wants to play in a warm climate.

The Wings are looking for a second-line center, and would have liked to add Lecavalier if he was agreeable to a two-year deal. There’s a spot open in the top-six group because negotiations with Valtteri Filppula have revealed a wide chasm, one that won’t be closed by the end of the week....

The Wings also have to consider that in another year, they likely will be adding three talented forwards from their system in Tomas Jurco, Riley Sheahan and Landon Ferraro. If prices for this year’s scant crop of UFAs is as high as it appears, the Wings may well decide to go into the season with what they’ve got, and see what happens.

update 8:22pm, St, James updated the same link with this...

General manager Ken Holland is continuing talks with his other two unrestricted free-agent forwards, Daniel Cleary and Damien Brunner, and the negotiations are close enough deals could happen. Cleary should come in around three years and $9 million, while Brunner is seeking in the $2.5 million range.

The Wings already have 12 forwards under contract for next season, a number that will grow by two when restricted free agents Joakim Andersson and Gustav Nyquist get new contracts. Depending on what happens with Cleary and Brunner, the Wings may not buy out any forwards. Mikael Samuelsson, 36, and Todd Bertuzzi, 38, both were injured much of last season, but each has just one season left on his contract.

read more at the link above...

Filed in: | The Malik Report | Permalink

Comments

« Previous        < 1 2 3 >       Next »

HockeytownOverhaul's avatar

Unreal no one wanted a top 6 dman under contract f any kind of pick.. i mean.. we got a cconditional5th for Huskins, ahl ufa signing.. no team needs a cheap dman?

Posted by HockeytownOverhaul on 07/02/13 at 08:04 PM ET

PDXWing's avatar

PDX, it is mentioned in the link I posted.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 07/02/13 at 08:01 PM ET

I saw that, but it seemed tentative in the article, whereas her Twitter post was more definitive. Not sure if that was because of the Twitter format or if she just got confirmation.

Posted by PDXWing on 07/02/13 at 08:10 PM ET

St James just updated the story and basically says we are getting Weiss and that Cleary and Brunner are close. 3y/9m for Cleary and 2.5m for Brunner

Posted by A II R on 07/02/13 at 08:19 PM ET

Figaro's avatar

$3 for Danny (reportedly)?  I guess we are paying players for the Play-offs.

Posted by Figaro from Los Alamos, NM on 07/02/13 at 08:22 PM ET

Paul's avatar

Added more to the original blog post.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 07/02/13 at 08:24 PM ET

Bugsy's avatar

They’re going to have to trade some forward at some point, right?  I mean, even without signing Weiss, that’s 16 forwards if they sign Cleary and Brunner and don’t buy out anyone.

Posted by Bugsy on 07/02/13 at 08:29 PM ET

Man, I have a headache just reading that.

Posted by SYF from the team that re-signed KFQ and DFC by KFH on 07/02/13 at 08:29 PM ET

Buyouts (1)
$0

Colaiacovo, Carlo »

Capgeek updating the roster.  Have they ever been wrong?

Posted by maltby18 on 07/02/13 at 08:38 PM ET

perfection's avatar

whoah… Cleary for 3 more at $3mil? I’m definitely in the re-sign him camp as his playoff performance did in fact sway me. I think having veteran maniacs like him at playoff time is a must if you want to get anywhere. With that said, that is pretty steep. I was hoping we’d sign him for 2 years at closer to $2mil.

I think I just need to shift my barometer over the next couple years. The fact is, guys are just making more. When the dust clears on the 5th I have a feeling I will feel every single UFA that signed got too much money.

so clearly it is me who is the problem.

Posted by perfection from LaLaLand on 07/02/13 at 08:39 PM ET

So for 1.5mm less we get Cleary for another 3yrs, what a bargain.  This GM is amazing

Posted by bababooey on 07/02/13 at 08:43 PM ET

Cleary should come in around three years and $9 million

F*ck you, Kenny. I’m going to the bar.

Posted by godblender on 07/02/13 at 08:43 PM ET

Less than Lecavalier I meant

Posted by bababooey on 07/02/13 at 08:44 PM ET

Bugsy's avatar

so clearly it is me who is the problem.

If Cleary’s body doesn’t hold up, and they don’t use their buyouts up this year, here’s a buyout candidate next year.
No, you’re not the problem, it’s just where sports is going and has been going, and as long as someone’s willing to pay it,.... Remember “overpaying” Ericsson for example,....

Posted by Bugsy on 07/02/13 at 08:45 PM ET

d ca's avatar

Cleary @3M per for 3yrs….uggghhh.

Where’s the hometown discount to finish your career with a limited NTC.

Seriously this is a terrible deal. There should be no way that Cleary makes as much now as he did at age 32.5.

news flash dispite his heart his skills are in decline and they didn’t develop like Lecavalier’s did.

Posted by d ca on 07/02/13 at 08:46 PM ET

Bugsy's avatar

I’m not saying I like $3M x 3 yrs if true, but his salary the last 3 years has been $3M, so no change in salary (3 years for a 34 y/o w/bad knees). I have no idea what other teams would have/were going to offer him, but hopefully he can (SOMEHOW) stay healthy.

Posted by Bugsy on 07/02/13 at 08:52 PM ET

Down River Dan's avatar

Have loved Cleary during his time here, and the heart and soul kinda player he was, but I think Danny has played some hard miles and I’m not sure he’s got anything in the tank.

Man, I hope that 3 year 3 mil deal rumored is not true. I hate to see him go , but I don’t like that deal at all.

Posted by Down River Dan on 07/02/13 at 08:57 PM ET

Red Winger's avatar

Vinny to Philly, which means we can cross off this excuse for not coming to Detroit: he wanted to go to a potential Cup champion.

Posted by Red Winger from Sault Ste Marie on 07/02/13 at 09:00 PM ET

Not worried about Cleary’s pace, eh Kenny????

Posted by bababooey on 07/02/13 at 09:12 PM ET

Paul,
Is it correct that the buyout period ends Thursday?  Until next year?  And that every buyout has to clear waivers first?  So we will know everyone that is bought out this year by noon tomorrow?

Posted by murph1jj on 07/02/13 at 09:48 PM ET

Paul's avatar

murph, they have to be put on waivers by noon ET tomorrow, if teams wait another day, too late.

So tomorrow is the deadline to be placed on buyout waivers.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 07/02/13 at 09:51 PM ET

Thanks Paul

Posted by murph1jj on 07/02/13 at 09:54 PM ET

cainer4wingsglory's avatar

I think KH worries less about the pace of one of his grinders as opposed to a 2nd line center.  The last 2 years @ 5 mil per is the most troublesome part of signing Vinny, so I wouldn’t put his contract up against Clearly. I was very much hoping for a 2-2.5 for 2 yrs, but hey that was his going rate, and his playoff performance likely saved his bacon.

I keep reading about the cap going up, that Vinny would only be 5% of the cap, so let’s just give him the 5 mil per! But good cap management is good cap management and you don’t deviate from your organizational plan and get into a bidding war over a declining player that has questionable priorities (if winning isn’t the goal, thanks but no thanks). HockeyinHD summed it up nicely with his FA bust list, hardly ever works out as planned…

Posted by cainer4wingsglory on 07/02/13 at 09:54 PM ET

No Vinny at $4.5M but thank f*cking God that we’re keeping that broken down pickup truck that is Dan Cleary for $3M.

What a god damn joke.

Posted by Garth on 07/02/13 at 10:12 PM ET

Why not?  Vinny is an actual top six forward whereas stupid f*cking Cleary’s crippled ass is simply going to drag down whichever line he’s on, which will probably be top six.

Posted by Garth on 07/02/13 at 10:15 PM ET

But good cap management is good cap management

But not using available cap space to make your team is not good management of any kind.

Oh, and he’s willing to pay Dan Cleary until he’s 37, even though he’s already significantly broken down at 34, but not willing to pay Vinny to play until he’s 38?  Fan-f*cking-tastic.

What a complete and utter joke.

Posted by Garth on 07/02/13 at 10:17 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

So, Ribiero 49 points in 48 games, age 33 again.

Posted by RWBill from cruising Brush Street with creepy Rob Lowe. on 07/02/13 at 10:24 PM ET

So, Ribiero 49 points in 48 games, age 33 again.

Why?  Re-signing Cleary will be just like adding a top six forward.

Posted by Garth on 07/02/13 at 10:27 PM ET

cainer4wingsglory's avatar

Your view seems rather shortsighted. Just because there is cap room now, doesn’t mean it will be there 3-4 years from now. I’d rather KH leave some open cap room (never hurts to have trade deadline cash available) than get saddled with a 5 mil obligation 3 years from now when the amnesty buyouts are gone and Vinny’s pace/overall game is a shell of the troublesome state it is now. You’re playing checkers, while KH is playing chess looking 3 moves ahead…

Posted by cainer4wingsglory on 07/02/13 at 10:41 PM ET

So what?  There was cap room two years ago that they didn’t use.  There was cap space two trade deadlines ago that they didn’t use.  There was cap space last year that they didn’t use.  There was cap space this past trade deadline that they didn’t use.

You don’t win any prizes for having cap space.  The point of the cap is that you can spend alllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll the way up to the tippy top of it.

You’re playing checkers, while KH is playing chess looking 3 moves ahead…

Ken Holland isn’t playing chess.  He’s currently losing to himself at Tic Tac Toe.

Posted by Garth on 07/02/13 at 10:52 PM ET

I wonder if the local beat writers will even entertain asking Holland why go cheap on ufa’s like Lecavalier while splurging on guys like Cleary.  I already know they won’t though because ken holland is not covered by the local press he is worshipped by them and its a travesty.

Posted by bababooey on 07/02/13 at 11:55 PM ET

alukacs's avatar

You guys advocate spending up to the ” tippy top” of cap space 24/7, like it’s Monopoly money. The player who was worth spending all the way up to the ” tippy top” decided to sign elsewhere last year… But we had the money to sign him. That is smart management.

Otherwise, by not spending all the money on every FA, KH is making smart hockey and - listen to this Monopoly crowd - business decisions.

“stupid f*cking Cleary’s crippled ass” was fantastic during the playoffs. But besides his hockey skills and health issues, you should show some respect. Even though you believe his contract is not optimal, he is still a great hockey player and a first class person.

Posted by alukacs on 07/03/13 at 12:25 AM ET

cainer4wingsglory's avatar

Good point Alukacs. Agree on all counts.

To those on the warpath, Garth and the Horse-Toothed Jackass most notably, let’s not lose sight of the fact that Vinny was signed by one of the most reckless GMs in the leagues; one that has a terrible track record with FA signings. You think it’s a coincidence that he wasn’t signed by a team with a shrewd GM? I think not. That alone is validation that KH did the right thing not forking out for 5 years of Vinny. It’s moot now, he’s a Flyer. The FA signing period hasn’t even begun yet, let’s step away from the ledge…for now

Posted by cainer4wingsglory on 07/03/13 at 12:30 AM ET

statelouis26's avatar

How come more people are not angry/pissed/bothered/bickled by this cleary BS? He’s 34, aging fast and declining, incapable of playing on a scoring line (remember the Pavel fiasco ppl!!?!??), taking up a roster spot on a team overloaded with bottom 6 fwds (remember $3M joke Sammy is still here!?!??), was -1 & scored 4G in 14 playoff games (3 of which I believe which simply bounced off him), of his 6 assists in the playoffs 4 were secondary assists (I.e. gimme), and despite what babs says he does not bring size, possession skills, or retrieval skills b/c he gets knocked down too easily. You can’t pay 4 heart. You can’t pay a 3rd/4th line energy guy 3M @ 3years in the salary cap era. You can’t pay Dan F’in Cleary $3M when u need at least 2top six fwds. It’s not just $3M. It’s not a need, it’s a waste of a roster spot, and $3M that could be spent in the future on your RFAs or a UFA. This is deal you make when your team is a legit cup contender and need to add the intangibles cleary brings (heart, drive), not when there are holes to be filled (yeah yeah haha). I don’t hate Cleary but if u can’t tells this sh&@ is F’in aggravating. It’s Samuelsson and Tootoo bafoonary potentially all over again. Sheesh. Holland….WTF?!?!?

Posted by statelouis26 from Detroit, MI on 07/03/13 at 12:36 AM ET

Bugsy's avatar

I don’t suppose singing Kum Ba Yah is going to help at this point,....

Posted by Bugsy on 07/03/13 at 12:36 AM ET

Hippy Dave's avatar

Regarding Iginla, I just think the Wings lack a pure goal scorer and Iginla is the best one out there.

^^ That.

Posted by Hippy Dave from Portland by way of Detroit on 07/03/13 at 12:44 AM ET

Bugsy's avatar

Let’s see where the dust settles in a week.
Let’s see who he trades among the forwards, not if.
With the rumor mill talking about Braydon Coburn again (LeBrun tonight, $4.5M x 3 years for what sounds like a top 4? defenseman from Philly), Devin Setoguchi (1 year, $3M) from another team up against the cap—the Wild, and presumably others in tight corners as they sign the “expensive” free agents, the trade market is still an option.
It doesn’t have to be only free agents and buyouts.
I’m not saying Holland will do well, I’m just saying it’s too early to say for sure where this is headed.

Posted by Bugsy on 07/03/13 at 12:44 AM ET

Hippy Dave's avatar

Also for what it’s worth, I’ve followed Vinnie’s stats from the early days as a fantasy hockey nut (he WAS one of my keepers) and it became clear about 3-4 years ago his status as a star was declining, quickly.  I’m honestly a little relieved he isn’t on the team.

Posted by Hippy Dave from Portland by way of Detroit on 07/03/13 at 12:55 AM ET

statelouis26's avatar

Bugsby- it’s b/c it’s gone beyond irritating at this point. This is not pre-lockout or pre-cap time. While the cap may go up in time it doesn’t correlate w/ this prospective deal. $3 is not chump change anymore as I’m sure u know. It’s an unnecessary signing and you don’t do a deal just b/c the guy is a great person or b/c u have cap room to spend today. There are already too many bottom six fwds on this team as it is. When you’ve got a player that is obviously aging and declining in production why the hell would using him for 3yrs for more money when the cap went down and he has a 99.9 % of getting worse by the f’in day. Somebody becomes available via trade, buyout, or free agency guess what ? Oh S@?t we can’t get em b/c we got a pile o poop in Dan f’in cleary and can’t get rid of em b/c he sucks ass. Gotta resign a RFA? well Sh@$ again we got a dried up, white turd in Dan F’in Cleary.

Posted by statelouis26 from Detroit, MI on 07/03/13 at 12:56 AM ET

statelouis26's avatar

Also wings made the right call on Vinny despite the fact he’s f’in awesome.

Posted by statelouis26 from Detroit, MI on 07/03/13 at 12:59 AM ET

Hippy Dave's avatar

Louis back off, Cleary’s a good guy, just not $3M good.  I have to imagine that money is more to show guys who come up in the system and show loyalty get their just rewards.  He plays hard and does a lot of the little things that don’t show up on the stats sheet.

I’m more surprised the organization is hemming and hawing with Brunner at the 2.5M mark.  Lets give him that on a 2year term and see where it goes!

Posted by Hippy Dave from Portland by way of Detroit on 07/03/13 at 01:01 AM ET