The Malik Report

Wings May Have A Decision To Make Tomorrow

In case you were wondering... via the NHL CBA (page 102),

For all Players on an NHL Active Roster, Injured Reserve, or Players with Non-Roster and Injured Non-Roster status as of 11:59 p.m. local time on December 19, a roster freeze shall apply through 12:01 a.m. local time December 28, with respect to Waivers, Trades and Loans; provided, however, that Players may be Recalled to NHL Clubs during this period and, provided further, that if a Player is placed on Regular Waivers prior to the roster freeze period and is claimed during such roster freeze period, the roster freeze period shall not apply and the Player shall immediately report to the claiming Club. However, during the roster freeze period a Club can make any Player transactions necessary for the Club to come into compliance with Article 50 as a result of a Player being removed from the Bona-Fide Long-Term Injury/Illness Exception.

Now I am no CBA specialist and I know Nyquist was not on LTIR, so I am not sure how this will play out.

Filed in: | The Malik Report | Permalink

Comments

How is this a hard decision? WAIVE BUCKETS AND SAMMY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! With Weiss’ 4.9AAV now on LTIR until March (he’ll be placed there shortly), we have no issues with waiving people or sending people down.

How is this even an issue? Just look at everyone’s statistics and effect on the ice. Eaves and Tootoo should be higher on the depth chart than those 2 and it’s a travesty that they’re not. Jurco and Sheahan are the real deal, and even though they still need time to develop their games, at this point right now they’re better options than Cleary and Sammy.

WAIVE. THE. DEADWEIGHT!!!

Posted by ZandPasha11 on 12/22/13 at 02:31 PM ET

I agree, why not send Sammy to the AHL.  Playing some games down there would probably be good for him.  I realize they only get minimal cap relief but that does not seem to be a problem right now.

Posted by wingsnut25 from Cheboygan, MI on 12/22/13 at 02:48 PM ET

SK77's avatar

Very interested to see what Holland does now that Weiss on LTIR should provide him with flexibility for once and the ability to go with the best players. I don’t understand the inner-workings of the CBA though so I might be wrong on that …

I hope, as has already been said, that at the very least Sammy’s ass gets jettisoned to Grand Rapids. I’m guessing two more players would need to get sent down to make room for all 3 forwards coming back (plus what about Zetterberg?). Jurco seems to have earned himself a piece of pie, but I wouldn’t be surprised to see Sheahan sent back down. Tootoo and Eaves are probably gone again as well. As for Cleary? Whatcha gonna do, Kenny?

Posted by SK77 on 12/22/13 at 02:59 PM ET

RhymeTimeWingsDings's avatar

All I want for xmas is to see those who play with energy and produce (specifically produce) stay in the big time.  I didn’t realize how big jurco was till last night.  A couple times I thought he was going to be muscled off the puck but kept control of it.  Never fell on his ass cough cough Clearly!!!

Posted by RhymeTimeWingsDings on 12/22/13 at 03:56 PM ET

Zqto's avatar

as far as I understood, the problem with sending Sammy or Cleary to the minors, is that they are old, and so, only about 900k of their salaries come out of the cap, the rest still counts, even if they go do Grand Rapids

I might be wrong though… But that’s what I remember was discussed early on the season

Posted by Zqto on 12/22/13 at 04:02 PM ET

Zqto's avatar

Btw, I was also very amused by Jurco
He played as if he belonged. As a rookie, still, but I felt he could keep up to the NHL

Posted by Zqto on 12/22/13 at 04:03 PM ET

SK77's avatar

Posted by Zqto on 12/22/13 at 03:02 PM ET

With Weiss and his Big-Ass Salary™ going onto LTIR the Wings should see major cap relief that now makes this a moot point.

Posted by SK77 on 12/22/13 at 04:06 PM ET

Its not about dollars, its about the number of bodies.

Sammy is logically the one taking up space, he’s behind Eaves, Tootoo and the kids on the depth chart now.

The other question is which D sits on Monday?  Can’t see it being Kindl again.

Posted by maltby18 on 12/22/13 at 04:12 PM ET

alwaysaurie's avatar

Good news about Nyquist, I hadn’t heard he was so close to returning before.

I expected Helms and Abdelkader to be ready for Monday, so I’m a little disappointed to see them listed as “maybees.”

If all 3 come back I expect Tootoo and Eaves to be sent back down for Abby and Nyquist with Glendening being the center sent down in return for getting Helm back.

If only Nyquist can play, I figure Tootoo is the only one leaving.

It’s okay to “like” Tootoo fellow-fans, but a little less rose-colored glasses are needed… he can’t do much for us anymore.

I like him too, but all I can wish for him is “Good luck.”

Posted by alwaysaurie on 12/22/13 at 05:14 PM ET

Alan's avatar

As long as the demotions are dead weight and “not yet ripe” prospects, this can only be a good thing.

I’d rather keep Tootoo over Sammy.

Posted by Alan from Atlanta on 12/22/13 at 06:40 PM ET

mrfluffy's avatar

So is this why Nyquist has been out?

Fauxin’ Hartnel.

I’m not one for having a goon on the Wings (unless he’s more like McCarty/Kocur) but…this is BS.

Posted by mrfluffy from A wide spot on I-90 in Montana on 12/22/13 at 09:32 PM ET

SK77's avatar

Posted by mrfluffy from Long Beach on 12/22/13 at 08:32 PM ET

No, dude, WTF? He played six more games after that against Philly before he tweaked his groin. Where’d you even come up with that?

Posted by SK77 on 12/22/13 at 09:36 PM ET

Down River Dan's avatar

While I don’t believe he is the answer to all that ills the Wings, I will say that toots definitely brought it every shift last nite.

Also during last nights game I realized just how screwed up the roster right now when Eaves was out on the 2nd PP unit. Nothing against Patrick, but if he is on the 2nd PP unit in March, it will be a long Spring.

Posted by Down River Dan on 12/22/13 at 09:37 PM ET

mrfluffy's avatar

Posted by some kid on 12/22/13 at 08:36 PM ET

I just saw it and honestly haven’t done much more than watch snippets here and there of games over the past month due to A) work, B) wife having surgery and C) Christmas shit. I guess I forgot the Philly game was weeks ago.

Posted by mrfluffy from A wide spot on I-90 in Montana on 12/22/13 at 09:40 PM ET

SK77's avatar

I guess I forgot the Philly game was weeks ago.

Posted by mrfluffy from Long Beach on 12/22/13 at 08:40 PM ET

Totally understand—plus you nailed the

Fauxin’ Hartnel

bit.

Posted by SK77 on 12/22/13 at 09:50 PM ET

Primis's avatar

WAIVE. THE. DEADWEIGHT!!!

Posted by ZandPasha11 on 12/22/13 at 01:31 PM ET

You should probably read the 483940482093532 times this has already been addressed first.

But since you didn’t, and won’t anyways…. no.  Both are UFA’s again this offseason.  Holland is going to just cope until then.  There is, at this point, no advantage salary-wise to do what you suggest.  Samuelsson already has remained healthy scratched in favor of calling guys like Glendening, Sheahan, and Jurco up: message is loud and clear there, he’s done.

I’d like to see more Jurco.  Seriously starting to rethink the “not ready” thing.  He’s as ready as the trainwreck young d-men we keep playing at least.  And man, he can really do some Pavel-ish things with the puck that catch opponents by surprise.  Keep him up and let Pavel mentor him.

Posted by Primis on 12/23/13 at 12:25 AM ET

Regarding Nyquist, he has seen a lot of hard hits the past few weeks, though I saw Fartsmell as particularly nasty.

Posted by griffinsfan on 12/23/13 at 12:59 AM ET

RocketSurgeon's avatar

Eaves looked good for a game or so and then spent a lot of time looking lost and taking shots that missed the net by 15 feet. The same things he was sent down for before. Toots was 100% every shift he was out there and stayed out of trouble. He was a real asset this stint. The kids will probably go back to GR .. in what order .. who knows. Babs loves Glendening. Jurco, Tatar and Sheahan .. “The Rapid Line” if you will, deserves to stay together .. they really gave Toronto fits and sparked things up!

Posted by RocketSurgeon on 12/23/13 at 01:11 AM ET

Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit's avatar

Toots was 100% every shift he was out there and stayed out of trouble.

Heart and guts. He comes to play every single shift. Every chance he gets.

Lets Go Red Wings!!!!!

Posted by Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit on 12/23/13 at 01:31 AM ET

George Malik's avatar

Hockey management is about six months behind real life, and four months removed from being able to make real changes this year minus catastrophic injuries due to the artificially low cap and maxed-out budgets—and this is true for just about every team.

*For the moment,* it is better for Jurco to absolutely dominate at the AHL level knowing that in terms of the caliber of competition, the game is in fact a little slower, simpler and less chaotic at the NHL level, so he’s actually dealing with the hardest part of his development save consistency *right now.*

Sheahan is also essentially the Griffins’ captain amongst the non-veterans, so having Riley play in GR as a 2nd liner is better than having him play 8 minutes a night in Detroit.

Ditto for Glendening, whose future clearly lies with the Wings. He knows he’s going to be the first call-up (though the Wings do need to recall Ferraro at some point to see what he can do as he’s no longer waiver-exempt), so he needs to take that back to GR and try to add some more offense to his game at the AHL level.

I do not know what will happen to Tootoo or Eaves. Tootoo obviously brings energy, but on this Wings roster, he’s a fringe player—and I hate saying that because I adore the guy—but Eaves has earned so many kudos from Babcock that it’s silly.

Eaves clearly chose to make the worst of a bad situation by showing that he can still score at some level, and he’s kept a good attitude, so I think he’s the one who stays.

Samuelsson is clearly on the outs—When you call up five guys and play them over #37, you’re sending quite the message regarding someone’s usefulness or the lack thereof—but it’s going to take some time to find a home for him, mostly because the Griffins had already signed 4 “veterans,” and Emmerton’s presence brings them to the five-vets-can-play-per-night limit. Bringing Tootoo and Eaves down meant that two guys had to sit per night, and sending Sammy down would mean that three guys have to sit.

That turns a difficult situation for the Griffins into an untenable one for Nathan Paetsch, Triston Grant, Brennan Evans and team captain Jeff Hoggan, and the Wings have to balance that situation out, because they want the winning machine to keep rolling in GR.

I get the feeling that Cleary will hang around because the Wings’ coach and GM probably still believe that the best is still to come. But that’s my hockey gut talking.

Mostly, it’s good news that Nyquist will be ready to go and it’s good to know that Abdelkader and Helm aren’t far off.

Posted by George Malik from South Lyon, MI on 12/23/13 at 02:49 AM ET

I disagree about Jurco, I think if he is going to get experience, it needs to be at the NHL level, not the AHL level. 3 points in how many games? 4? Kid is doing his job skating hard and finishing checks. Not saying that his body is there, cause it isnt, he still needs 10 pounds easy to compete strong and hard every day in the corners and along the boards, but the same can be said for Nyquist and Tatar.
We need scoring bro, plain and simple, so the most productive 12 at F who score the most and work the best together should stay, dont care if they are 20 or 40. \I think Tootoo, Eaves, Sheahan and Glendenning are all sent down to make room for Hank, Helm, ABes and Nyq.
Once franzen is back I’m not sure, tough to keep Jurco up then, but while he is here, give him the opportunity to shine. I think he has already shown he belongs and will be here full time next year after we lose Bert, Sammy and Buckets, and maybe Alfred as well.
But send Sammy down, its not about cap, its about the roster limit of 23, if he sits in the wings press box then why does it matter where he sits when he would just be taking up a spot against the 23?
He can sit in GR, or, they can send him there, and he doesnt have to play and continue to sit at the Joe, it really doesnt matter, past the point of hurting feelings.
as for the other spot needed to get to 23, two options, retro-active Howard to the LTIR, or send down Mrazek and have no back up for Gus. Those are pretty much their options.
Also, Cleary isnt 35 yet, which means if waived and sent to GR, his cap relief would be more substantial than Sammy’s.

Jurco Pavs Alfred
Franzen Hank Nyq
Tatr Heml Abes
Miller Andy Bert

When healthy i like that lineup better than any other option.

Not sure what to do about the D.
Trade before deadline, I know everyone hates Quincey, cant see him not being an upgrade over the 4-6 in Ed, NYI, Wpg or any other place in desperate need of a D man who can eat up 20 minutes a night.

Posted by Munnster9 on 12/23/13 at 09:39 AM ET

Keep him up and let Pavel mentor him.

Posted by Primis on 12/22/13 at 11:25 PM ET

And Sheahan mentored by Zata.  That big sonuvabitch has hunger.

Posted by SYF from the team that re-signed KFQ and DFC by KFH on 12/23/13 at 02:06 PM ET