The Malik Report

Wings Make Roster Moves Official

Detroit, MI... The Detroit Red Wings today assigned right wing Gustav Nyquist and goaltender Petr Mrazek to the AHL’s Grand Rapids Griffins and recalled defenseman Xavier Ouellet and goaltender Jared Coreau from the Griffins. Additionally, the team placed center Darren Helm and right wing Patrick Eaves on long-term injured reserve and put goaltender Jonas Gustavsson and right wing Jordin Tootoo on seven-day injured reserve.

The Red Wings’ roster currently stands at 23 players, as the team heads into their regular season home opener this Wednesday, Oct. 2, against the Buffalo Sabres (NBCSN/97.1 The Ticket).

Filed in: | The Malik Report | Permalink

Comments

The Hurricane's avatar

At what point do we get serious about Helm never actually playing in the NHL ever again and make the appropriate adjustments with his 2+ million dollar cap hit?

We’ve tied up a lot of time, energy, resources, and hope….not to mention a whole lot of other eager young talent on a potentially injury ridden anomaly who has only produced 10 goals in his career.

Posted by The Hurricane on 09/30/13 at 05:32 PM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

What are you suggesting?  Is there a sane and possible option here that’s any better than “stick him on LTIR where you can replace his roster spot and can exceed the cap by up to his salary”?

- - -

Interesting to note that Cory Emmerton is on that 23-man roster the Red Wings released late this afternoon.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 09/30/13 at 05:41 PM ET

Itrusteddrrahmani's avatar

anomaly who has only produced 10 goals in his career.

I think you are forgetting what an asset he is on the penalty kill. There’s a lot of other numbers aside from scoring goals. That’s what made Kris Draper so important late in his career.

Posted by Itrusteddrrahmani from Nyc by way of A2 on 09/30/13 at 05:43 PM ET

MoreShoot's avatar

Ha. The eyebrow raiser for me was Oullett. If he’s on the roster, which other D man will be moved?

Posted by MoreShoot on 09/30/13 at 05:53 PM ET

Son of Flying Pig's avatar

Seems just mix and match for roster cap savings; to be set right back to actual roster by Opening Night.

Posted by Son of Flying Pig on 09/30/13 at 06:02 PM ET

Soupsnake's avatar

The Hurricane just became my least favorite person on this website. Darren Helm is a huge part of this team when healthy. A sore groin is an expected setback for a dude who finally just started skating with an NHL team for the first time in forever. Get real.

Posted by Soupsnake from Canton, Mi on 09/30/13 at 06:09 PM ET

I think you are forgetting what an asset he is on the penalty kill.

Helm’s a mediocre man-on defender and an adequate faceoff guy.  His sole special utility on the PK is shorty breaks, which is part of the reason his man on defense is where it is… he’s constantly looking to cheat off and break.

It’s not a complete coincidence that the PK didn’t really move with him or without him.

Posted by HockeyinHD on 09/30/13 at 06:24 PM ET

Paul's avatar

From what I can gather, Emmerton is on roster because Eaves is on LTIR and a few people say Ouellet is a paper move, why, who knows but will probably be in GR on Wed.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 09/30/13 at 07:00 PM ET

he’s constantly looking to cheat off and break

which is exactly why he scores so many short handed goals. No one ever criticizes his abilities to handle the puck on a break away. Shear brilliance is what I think everyone refers to when he breaks up a power play and screams in on goal with his speedy skates.

This exact thing could be said about Sammy too. 50 games in three years is actually less than what Helm has played in…yet you still go to Helm first, a guy who is 10 years younger than Sammy?

Posted by howeandhowe from Seattle on 09/30/13 at 07:35 PM ET

The Hurricane's avatar

I respect everyone’s PASSION about Helm…I do…and I HOPE he will come back and be dynamic. Here’s the problem. His injury isn’t a groin issue. Welcome to the 19, by the way.

I want DESPERATELY for Helm to be something other than the latest Eric Lindros….sadly, the rumblings I’ve heard are that his issue is mental and not physical.

Your mileage may vary and I may remain your least huggable lovebear on the Hasek come June when we are all huddled together in fetal position wondering whose Yuengling made it’s second appearance for the evening….but no one is talking about the eventuality that I am bringing up, and I’ll be that bitch.

We spent 8.5 million dollars on 4 years for Helm. So far….he has cost us a lot….and he has cost many young and talented players their shot at a Winged Wheel on their chest and our ROI is what?

I am not sure what the options are, but I will wager that none of us know the REAL depth of his injury, and the longer we go, the more skeptical I am that he can return to whatever glory that some of you maintain he can recapture after not playing for ????? months at NHL level.

Posted by The Hurricane on 09/30/13 at 11:11 PM ET

The Hurricane's avatar

..and by the way…Cory Emmerton was the ONLY other player than Tater Tots that showed up on offense 2 Sundays ago versus Chicago. He was OUTSTANDING!
If we lose him, it will be a travesty.

Posted by The Hurricane on 09/30/13 at 11:13 PM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

But he hasn’t done that. Except for one game, Helm has spent a great portion of the last two seasons on LTIR where his presence doesn’t take up a roster spot and his salary essentially doesn’t count.

Darren Helm hasn’t stood in anybody’s way because as far as rosters are concerned, he hasn’t existed most of the last calendar year.

Cory Emmerton has sure existed though… although you kind of have to view his “presence” on the ice the same as a black hole. You don’t see Emmerton playing hockey directly, but you know sucking happens when he’s on the ice by what you can observe around the area.  Dude doesn’t win faceoffs, puts up points at an extremely disappointing pace considering his zone starts, and he loses the possession battle.  He’s at least good at PKing, but he’s not good enough to be a regular on the Wings right now.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 09/30/13 at 11:23 PM ET

The Hurricane's avatar

Perhaps I am mistaken on his 2.1 mil cap hit…..there is no question that when he WAS healthy he was a force to, if nothing else, make the other team adjust their lines….but my understanding is that his salary is making it impossible to move others onto the roster. If I am mistaken, please correct me. I am not 100% on how the LTIR affects the cap.

That being said, I still think we all need to get real that he isn’t coming back the same Helm that brought H2H.

Posted by The Hurricane on 09/30/13 at 11:49 PM ET

The Hurricane's avatar

...and J.J., that isn’t the Emmerton performance he displayed on September 21. Not even close. He was a completely different player than I saw the last few years. Granted I’m not an NHL scout, but however he is developing, he is a MUCH stronger asset than most are giving him credit for.

Are you guys watching them AT THE ARENA’s playing live or simply analyzing stats and watching the Fox feed? At the rinks, there can be no question who the stronger players are.

Posted by The Hurricane on 09/30/13 at 11:56 PM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

Like I said, it’s essentially as though his salary doesn’t count while he’s on LTIR. Any amount over the cap that Helm’s salary drives the Wings is money that they’ve allowed to spend over the cap on his replacement, so he’s not been a roadblock to guys as much as people who actually are taking up roster/cap space while not performing better.

and J.J., that isn’t the Emmerton performance he displayed on September 21.

I didn’t see that one performance, but I’ve seen every regular/postseason performance of his career and a few other preseason games (including last Saturday’s loss and a number of other less-than-flattering performances).

I’m not analyzing preseason stats because it’s essentially useless to do so to prove much of a point. Over the course of his career, analyzing the actual stats which count is a very good accompaniment to watching every single game he plays (twice). The guy tries hard and for that, I like him.  He’s good on PK and for that I like him.

...but he’s simply not that skilled and he gets consistently outplayed by his fourth-line competition. I certainly wish Emmerton all the best because there’s not much to dislike about him, but eliminating him from the Wings would be addition by subtraction.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 10/01/13 at 12:10 AM ET