The Malik Report

Wings Lose 3-2 In Shootout To The Leafs At The Winter Classic

Credit goes out to both teams, the NHL and the folks at Michigan for putting on a great show even though the game was played in frigid weather conditions.

I hate to see a game like this end in a shootout, to me it is an anti-climatic finish.

The Wings can now get back on a regular routine, no more HBO cameras or Winter Classic to worry about.

They now head out to Dallas to play on Saturday, then San Jose, Los Angeles, Anaheim and then across county to play the Rangers.

You can watch the regulation goals from Alfredsson and Abdelkader below...

Alfredsson

Abdelkader

Filed in: | The Malik Report | Permalink

Comments

Alan's avatar

If the Wings came out and played as well as they did every game, I don’t think we’d get so frustrated with their poor efforts and ugly losses.

A big month ahead for the boys, so I hope they’re all strapped in and have their game faces on, because we don’t need them blowing games like we did in Nashville, or against the Islanders.

Posted by Alan from Atlanta on 01/01/14 at 05:56 PM ET

It is sooooo frustrating watching jimmy Howard lose shootout after shootout after shootout.  I realize overall he is an above-average goaltender.  But he seldom outplays the opposing goaltender, he rarely steals games, and he almost always loses shootouts.  I also don’t think the team plays their best in front of him.  Honestly, I’m sick of it.  I say trade him, and hand the keys to Mrazek.  Don’t know if he’ll be very good or elite, but Howard has had plenty of time/opportunity, and he’s plateaued.  The Detroit Red Wings goal every year should be to win the cup, and we ‘re not ever doing that with jimmy Howard.

Posted by Forlanforlan on 01/01/14 at 06:18 PM ET

moocat's avatar

Give me a break. The TEAM loses the shootouts more often than not. How often do you see the Wings score more than once and put the pressure on the opposing goalie? Can Howard be better yes but so can the shooters.

This Howard hate is just out of hand. This is the same guy that everyone loved when he was carrying the team last season (stealing some games even) but he struggles and he’s garbage and a lost cause we should move. Good lord.

Posted by moocat on 01/01/14 at 06:25 PM ET

mrfluffy's avatar

I just don’t think Howard is even close to 100%. He didn’t go into the butterfly on that second shot…barely got down on the first…

I mean come on…if Howard was down Lupul’s shot would’ve looked pathetic.

Posted by mrfluffy from A wide spot on I-90 in Montana on 01/01/14 at 06:33 PM ET

It was a quick shot, and Howard’s pad was 1 millisecond too slow to stop it.

Silly discussion to have, really.

Posted by CrimsonPhoenix on 01/01/14 at 06:35 PM ET

How many playoff series has jimmy Howard played in?  How many Stanley cup finals has he appeared in?  He’s plateaued.  We’re not getting there with him.  And this season he really hasn’t been good at all.  Time to move on.  If Detroit sticks with him, AND wins a Stanley cup, I’ll gladly stand corrected.  In the meantime, I’ll be waiting eagerly for Mrazek to get the fulltime job.

Posted by Forlanforlan on 01/01/14 at 06:48 PM ET

Bent's avatar

This is what I don’t understand as well.  He is playing terrible, I know that. But I don’t see how quickly everyone has turned on him.

I mean come on…if Howard was down Lupul’s shot would’ve looked pathetic.

I said that in the A2Y gamethread and didn’t get a response, but I am glad someone else saw it too.  I think he may have rushed back for this game.

Posted by Bent from The U.P. on 01/01/14 at 07:00 PM ET

Gary A$$ SUCK !!'s avatar

I’m all for it…..Give Howard more chances…eventually he might not SUCK.

Posted by Gary A$$ SUCK !! from Fort Myers, Florida on 01/01/14 at 07:19 PM ET

It was a great winter classic. Probably the best yet. The big house looked great, the red and blue was vivid. It was a good game and the snow globe effect. Loved it.

Posted by timbits on 01/01/14 at 07:34 PM ET

shazam88's avatar

Posted by timbits on 01/01/14 at 06:34 PM ET

Ditto on that.

Really looked like a terrific crowd…the fans seemed to be good sports on both sides as far as I could tell, and a winter classic definitely needs a little snow and cold to be legitimate.

Well done, Detroit.

Posted by shazam88 from SoCal on 01/01/14 at 07:40 PM ET

Alan's avatar

I’m in total agreement. Can’t blame Howard for this loss.

We got a point, but we’re now behind Toronto by a point. We still have lots of time to make it up, and like Paul said up top, with the distractions out of the way, maybe the guys can get back to playing the game and staying focused. With that in mind, I’ll try to keep an optimistic mind about our trip out west.

Posted by Alan from Atlanta on 01/01/14 at 08:14 PM ET

bleep bloop's avatar

I missed the first period but from what I saw, Howard was good, much better than last game, but as soon as it went to the shootout, the only thing I didn’t know was whether the Red Wings would score: the 2/3 allowed was completely predictable, and I think Howard would have saved both of those in previous seasons.

It seemed like when the game was tied 1-1 they let up a lot and kind of let the Leafs take over in stretches that they didn’t before that or during the third.

How is it that Datsyuk’s and Zetterberg’s unit looked worse on the power play than Cleary’s? (Except on the third(?) PP when the stripes looked like they were more likely to score and less likely to put the puck in their own net.)

Posted by bleep bloop on 01/01/14 at 08:35 PM ET

WingsFanInBeanLand's avatar

Keep in mind that the Coach and many of the Wings players still have the huge distraction of that little Olympic thing.  Things may get worse before they get better.

LGRW

Posted by WingsFanInBeanLand from where free agents no longer dare. on 01/01/14 at 09:18 PM ET

MoreShoot's avatar

You think?  Do you see a single win in the next 5 games?  No Helm. No Monster. Middling Howard. I just feel as if doom is the most logical reaction right now. Oh well.

Posted by MoreShoot on 01/01/14 at 09:31 PM ET

OlderThanChelios's avatar

The Wings can now get back on a regular routine…

Um, I thought losing in a shootout is their regular routine. smile

The team effort was there today, and even Howard played like he gave a damn – until the shootout. He is, and always has been, pathetic during shootouts and breakaways. And that’s not what you want from a $5M+ goalie.

The best thing that could have happened to Howard (and the Wings) would have been for Team USA to have left him off the Olympic squad. Maybe that would have signaled to him that others don’t consider him to be a top-tier goalie right now and would have motivated him to prove them wrong.

As it is, he got a free pass to the Olympics – and I don’t think that’s going to help him (or the Wings) one little bit.

Posted by OlderThanChelios from Grand Rapids, MI on 01/02/14 at 12:59 AM ET

mrfluffy's avatar

IIRC Howard also got bumped pretty good by Clarkson in the 3rd.

But in any case, it was a great game…beats the hell out of all Winter Classics before, even Wrigley Field…I was kinda pissed that the horn blew on Z’s breakaway but…rules are rules I suppose…Bernier did play lights out.

Posted by mrfluffy from A wide spot on I-90 in Montana on 01/02/14 at 01:48 AM ET

Let me just throw this one out there: there’s a pretty decent chance Howard’s about the same relative level of goaltender compared to the rest of the league as… Chris Osgood was.  Just saying.

I’m in total agreement. Can’t blame Howard for this loss.

I agree, although that really shouldn’t be the standard we apply to the 10th highest paid goalie in the NHL, should it?  IMO a much more reasonable way would be to assess his play relative to that of the directly opposing goaltender.  If he’s winning that matchup most of the time, then he’s earing his paycheck as being in the top 3rd of NHL goalies with regards to the paycheck.  If he’s splitting those decisions or, as has been happening this year, losing around 80% of them… that’s terrible.

There are lots of reasons why Detroit hasn’t done very well this year, and it’s not like Howard being below average (30th in GAA, t-30th in sv%, 57th in SO sv%) is at the top of the list… but it’s in the top 3.

About the WC event more broadly, I mostly really liked it and thought the NHL did a good job maximizing the outdoor opportunities by having so many games going at the two locations.  However, I was profoundly uncomfortable watching first Howe and then Konstantinov trotted out for the pre-game stuff before the second Alumni game.  Especially with Gordie Howe.  I mean, come on.  Let the guy go as a public figure, already.  He’s clearly terribly unwell and it was heartbreaking to watch him led onto the ice like a toddler and clearly in a state of profound confusion.  The prolonged interval where he was supposed to do the ceremonial puck drop and had absolutely no idea what was going on… just, ugh.  That was awful.

At least with Vladdy we’re dealing with a guy who has the ability to express his will, and whose limitations are largely physical in nature.  If he wants to go out and do these sorts of things I’ve no problem with it, and certainly the Wings owe him as much.  With Gordie though… ouch.  I’m not 100% sure, but it looked like as he was coming out he shook the hands of one of the people helping him out there.  Which was one of his sons.  That’s a brutal illness.

Posted by HockeyinHD on 01/02/14 at 06:07 AM ET

Figaro's avatar

IT WAS SOOOOOO COLD!!!!  Folks, that was a blast to attend.  I’m sitting in the Cedar Rapids airport after a 10-hour drive back to Iowa (roads are beyond crap.  Indiana forgot to plow…) and I haven’t slept since I got up at 6:30am yesterday…but WOW! What an experience.  Covered in snow, wind in the face, Red and Blue jerseys everywhere…the swelling roar of the crowed with every potential rush, the Go Leafs Go against the Let’s Go Red Wings chants…it sucks that we lost, but from where I was sitting, the little blue goalie was playing pretty damned well. (The little red goalie was too).  From what I could tell, Tatar was one of our best forwards, I think it was because he normally moves too fast for his own good, but the snow slowed him down so he was able to function normally.  Also, Dan Cleary is double-slow in the snow.

The only things I didn’t love about yesterday’s experience was the result, the pizza being rather dry despite looking quite delicious, they sold out of commemorative blankets, and the 2.5-hour “express shuttle” ride back to the mall.  Shoulda just walked back to the car…

Posted by Figaro from Los Alamos, NM on 01/02/14 at 08:20 AM ET

Helm… out again. I mean. I’m beginning to think the guy is injury prone and maybe needs to take an extended leave? Who knows… As far as Howard goes… The guy is just awful. I don’t think he has confidence and I don’t think the team that plays in front of him has much confidence either. Howard looks REALLY nervous out there. And the other teams’ coach is probably telling them “Just shoot the puck under him or high glove side and he’ll let it in!!!!”. I mean. the guy can’t stop open shots at all. Hopefully he gets better.

Posted by Pasha1277 on 01/02/14 at 11:37 AM ET

OlderThanChelios's avatar

Posted by Figaro from Los Alamos, NM

Thanks for the firsthand perspective, Fig. Hopefully you’ll be thawed out by the time you get back to New Mexico.  cool smile

Posted by OlderThanChelios from Grand Rapids, MI on 01/02/14 at 12:23 PM ET

Howard was much better this game.  The Laffs got a lucky bounce on their second goal (IMO, Q didn’t help clear the crease at all and 65DD was tied up trying to slow up a charging forward).

Posted by SYF from the team that re-signed KFQ and DFC by KFH on 01/02/14 at 03:42 PM ET