The Malik Report

Wings Keep Coming Back

from Mark Whicker of the Orange County Register (paid subscriotion) at the Centre Daily Times,

Game 7 is set for Sunday night at Honda Center.

It wasn't necessary.

Neither was Game 6, really, but the Detroit Red Wings, spurred by jerseys in the ceiling or echoes from the '90s or something even more spiritual, have done something remarkable in this first-round series.

They have won two games with an inner-body injury. They came back twice after their souls were crushed.

continued

Filed in: | The Malik Report | Permalink

Comments

w2j2's avatar

“They’ve got a really good team,” Ryan said. “If they play a full season, they’re not a seventh-seeded team.”

Nice complement.

Posted by w2j2 on 05/11/13 at 09:55 AM ET

OlderThanChelios's avatar

Kyle Quincey, working behind Detroit’s net, either tripped on Corey Perry’s foot or the post.

Hilarious. Q had his ankle chopped by the blade of Perry’s stick in what was an obvious tripping and/or slashing penalty. Obvious, of course, to everyone except the ref who stood five feet away and watched it all happen.

But let Hiller and Boudreau (and I’m sure Gutsless and Tinkerbell) whine all they want. The more whining they do, the less prepared they’ll be for Game 7. Or maybe this whining is just preparation for the tsunami of whining that will come when they lose tomorrow night.

Posted by OlderThanChelios from Grand Rapids, MI on 05/11/13 at 09:57 AM ET

klank's avatar

“I don’t want to say too much at the risk of stirring things up before Game 7,” Ryan said, smiling. “It’s tough to play a perfect game in the playoffs, but they did.”

far from a perfect game.

Posted by klank from the finest hot tub in Marin on 05/11/13 at 11:08 AM ET

Nice complement.

Posted by w2j2 on 05/11/13 at 10:55 AM ET

Him and Cam Fowler.  Why the fuch are those two men on a team full of petulant babies.

Posted by SYF from Alana Blanchard's Bikinis and Surfboards on 05/11/13 at 12:11 PM ET

Bugsy's avatar

2 ways of looking at the penalty situation:
From Anaheim’s standpoint:
Playoff penalty minutes/game Detroit 9.50 Anaheim 8.83 7th and 8th out of 16 teams, so why suddenly does Detroit not get called for anything now?

From Detroit’s standpoint:
It’s a home game, and Detroit has their well earned reputation: Besides, only 3 penalties were called (not counting the Cory Perry issue)
Regular season penalty minutes:
Detroit 9.97 Anaheim 11.15 (28th and tied for 17th)

I hate to say this, but I dislike Anaheim less this year.  I think this would have been an uglier series 2 years ago on the ice and off. They’ve dialed their approach down a notch, and compared to what goes in the East (if the thing we’re talking about is the Bertuzzi war of words (I believe w/Cory Perry over a Datsyuk slash I think I read)) like Montreal vs. Ottawa, this series has been tamer than I thought it would be.

Posted by Bugsy on 05/11/13 at 12:14 PM ET

Bugsy's avatar

Here’s one link of the above
I’m also not saying that Anaheim is a classy team, but I don’t recall seeing this many compliments from Anaheim in the past, not just last night, and whatever you think about the refs, I didn’t foresee Detroit having more penalty minutes than Anaheim in the playoffs.

Posted by Bugsy on 05/11/13 at 12:17 PM ET

stonehands-78's avatar

...

Posted by OlderThanChelios from Grand Rapids, MI on 05/11/13 at 10:57 AM ET

this ...
(all credit to RWBill here):

If I could make an 8 or 10 frame .gif this would show Perry’s trip of Quincey was pretty blatant, deliberate, and effective.  But I can’t.  In the second pic you can see the bend in Perry’s stick as the weight of Quincey trips over it.

Posted by RWBill from the open bar on The Hasek. on 05/11/13 at 12:31 PM ET

L.G.R.W.

Posted by stonehands-78 from the beginning ... a WingsFan, on 05/11/13 at 01:35 PM ET

stonehands-78's avatar

sorry, trying the link to RWBill’s comment / pics again:

(scroll down to the comments section)

L.G.R.W.

Posted by stonehands-78 from the beginning ... a WingsFan, on 05/11/13 at 01:48 PM ET

Bugsy's avatar

Memory failed me, it was Bertuzzi and Getzlaf
Probably more of it tomorrow.

Posted by Bugsy on 05/11/13 at 02:15 PM ET

Primis's avatar

What kills me is that the Ducks apparently really, genuinely feel they (the Ducks) are playing well.  And that Detroit is somehow playing flawlessly.

Anaheim has been GIFTED big comebacks twice, and still found ways to blow both, to a young, inexperienced team that turns the puck over regularly.

Is Detroit THAT much in Anaheim’s heads, that the Ducks aren’t even residing in reality anymore about it?

Posted by Primis on 05/11/13 at 03:01 PM ET

Alan's avatar

We’ll know the answer to this when the final horn sounds early Monday morning, and the handshakes begin.

Posted by Alan from Atlanta on 05/11/13 at 03:34 PM ET

Hockeytown Wax's avatar

wow .. both Mark Whicker and the Ducks are complimenting the hell out of a young Red Wings team and all we can do is slam them for the detail mistakes they made.

We’re a rough bunch to satisfy.

I say take the compliments .... let our heads swell with pride a little bit more ... and go out there Sunday nite and show Jonas Hiller how it feels to be Patrick Roy when we chased him out of Montreal.

Posted by Hockeytown Wax from West Bloomfield, Mi. on 05/11/13 at 04:03 PM ET

PaulinMiamiBeach's avatar

did anyone else notice what Ericsson was doing when the Ducks scored their 2nd goal?

he was pushing and shoving with someone in front of the net, and that Duck backed out toward the faceoff circle.  Ericsson, instead of paying attention to the play, he left the post and followed the Duck out toward the faceoff circle, jawing at him.

I sure hope someone addressed this with Big E….

Posted by PaulinMiamiBeach on 05/11/13 at 05:59 PM ET

Alan's avatar

I saw that. Smart move by the Duck to take Ericsson out of the play.

Posted by Alan from Atlanta on 05/11/13 at 07:52 PM ET