The Malik Report

Wings Are Planning On A Fast Start

from Helene St. James of the Detroit Free Press,

The Wings are focused on getting off to a good start - something they failed to do Thursday against Montreal - and on playing tighter defensively after allowing nine goals the last two games.

“You can’t give up as many goals as we’ve been giving up and have success,” coach Mike Babcock said. “We’ve got to be better on the back end, better in net, and obviously more efficient up front.”

Helm has been moved up to the top line because Legwand has struggled the past stretch; the hope is Helm can use his speed to help his talented wingers. “We just want him to play simple hockey, take care of the puck, and get on the forecheck,” Babcock said. “The guys he’s playing with are different type of players that he normally plays with, but the reality is, he’s just got to do his job.”

Smith, a native of the area who estimated he’d have a dozen people at the game, laughed when asked after the morning skate how dangerous the Leafs might be.

“Extremely dangerous,” he said. “It’s like that wounded bear that you can’t put down for the last little bit, and they have a lot of extra power. You’ve got to make sure that you come out hard, because right now, it’s kind of do-or-die for them. It’s going to be a very difficult game.

“Everything I hear on the radio, it’s ruthless. It’ll be interesting to see what the atmosphere is like, and it’s going to be fun. It’s such a big game.”

Filed in: | The Malik Report | Permalink

Comments

Mistercristo's avatar

Link is broken.

Posted by Mistercristo from Cameron Frye's garage, circa 1987 on 03/29/14 at 12:36 PM ET

Paul's avatar

My fault, fixed and thanks for letting me know.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 03/29/14 at 12:39 PM ET

I dunno.  Wings have an awful and aggravating habit of playing down to their opponents, giving up the first goal, and blowing two-goal leads in very important games.

Posted by SYF from Alana Blanchard's Bikinis and Surfboards on 03/29/14 at 12:45 PM ET

aerodude's avatar

Posted by aerodude on 03/29/14 at 01:40 PM ET

Tracy from T-Town Hockey 's avatar

Ha Ha snake My thoughts exactly!

Posted by Tracy from T-Town Hockey on 03/29/14 at 01:54 PM ET

42jeff's avatar

Posted by aerodude on 03/29/14 at 02:40 PM ET

You know…what everbody else does to the Wings

Posted by 42jeff from The greater Howard City, MI metroplex on 03/29/14 at 02:31 PM ET

Detroit’s scoring first winning percentage is 25th in the league at .579.  Scoring early isn’t the big problem… it’s losing the lead if they get one.

Posted by HockeyinHD on 03/29/14 at 03:18 PM ET

As a follow on, Detroit is 5th in the NHL is goals scored in the first period and 10th overall in goals allowed in the first period.

As a team they are +14 in the first period, even in the second, and -23 in the 3rd.

This is just to point out that, as usual, the fan-identified problem is not only not a problem per se, but it’s actually one of the better portions of the teams performance.

Posted by HockeyinHD on 03/29/14 at 03:22 PM ET

alwaysaurie's avatar

I’m really not sure I understand this:

... the fan-identified problem is not only not a problem per se,

Almost every fan I talk to complains about the 3rd period, almost no one belly-aches about the first.

As far as the quotes up above provided by Helene St. James; they aren’t expressing concern about a year-long problem, instead they are specifically addressing a recent(“in the last two games”) short-coming.

Posted by alwaysaurie on 03/29/14 at 03:34 PM ET

Paging Garth to the comments section.

I’m aware Smith hasn’t turned into an all-star at his position but I’m fairly certain he is not considered a fan, since he clearly is part of the active roster.  I’d have to describe the actual subject at hand as a ‘player-identified problem’.

If the team could win the first and third periods today, that would be progress.  Unless they want to score a dozen in the second.

Posted by maltby18 on 03/29/14 at 04:17 PM ET

Mandingo's avatar

I’m really not sure I understand this:

... the fan-identified problem is not only not a problem per se,

Posted by alwaysaurie on 03/29/14 at 04:34 PM ET

I see you’re unfamiliar with the work of Professor Strawman.

Posted by Mandingo from The Garage on 03/29/14 at 04:52 PM ET

I see you’re unfamiliar with the work of Professor Strawman.

From, literally, the comments just above what that goof said:

“Fast start? I’m sorry, what does this mean? As a wings fan I am very unfamiliar with this term.”

“Ha Ha My thoughts exactly!”

“You know…what everbody else does to the Wings.”

Look.  I have a fairly low bar with regards to the expectations of commenters to remain somewhat truthful, or aware of any relevant history, or to be able to put facts together and form a rational opinion.  Even so, Mandingo and Aurie’s move here is quite breathtakingly unable to even meet my near non-existent standard.

Come on guys, I’m not looking for MIT stuff here… but yeesh.

Posted by HockeyinHD on 03/29/14 at 06:56 PM ET

harken23's avatar

Bernier looking kind of shakier….

Posted by harken23 on 03/29/14 at 07:16 PM ET

harken23's avatar

Also, Goooooooooose!

Posted by harken23 on 03/29/14 at 07:16 PM ET

Tracy from T-Town Hockey 's avatar

If you consider the ENTIRE 1st period to be starting fast, then yes your numbers are correct.  However, to me, starting fast involves the very begining of the game.  Let’s say the first ten minutes.  The numbers then look a little different.  We are being OUTSCORED in the first ten minutes of each game.  22 Goals for and 25 against. 33% of our first period goals come in the first half of the period to the other teams 47%. Getting outscored is not a better part of this team’s performance, regardless of how small the margin is. Do I believe this to be a HUGE problem for our team? No.  I never said it was.  I was trying to make a joke.  Most jokes are not based on strict facts.  I know I’ve never seen a Nun, a Priest, and a Rabbi walk into a bar.

Posted by Tracy from T-Town Hockey on 03/29/14 at 11:23 PM ET

alwaysaurie's avatar

Posted by HockeyinHD on 03/29/14 at 07:56 PM ET

Sorry about that HockeyinHD…

I’m sure I must’ve read the comment above yours… but truthfully I don’t remember reading it. Now that I’ve read it again I don’t imagine I’ll remember for very long this time either.

I (mistakenly I now know) assumed you were referencing “generally” fans, not a particular post. Hence my confusion

Posted by alwaysaurie on 03/31/14 at 06:09 AM ET