The Malik Report

Wings And Ducks Will Spend More Time In The Air Than On The Ice

from Helene St. James of the Detroit Free Press,

What's happening today? Not much. The Wings had a noon flight from Detroit to John Wayne Airport. They aren't planning to skate, which isn't unusual for teams in the playoffs, as many make do with morning skates to prepare for games.

Why not make Eastern Conference teams connect through LAX or something every time they shift locations in the playoffs, just to make them feel what it's like? Seems only fair.

What are the next few days going to be like? Taxing, or rather, taxiing down runways. The Wings and Ducks will be doing a lot of flying: today, from Detroit to Anaheim; Thursday, from Anaheim to Detroit. Depending on what happens, the Ducks might opt to fly back after Friday's Game 6. If there is a Game 7, both teams are likely to overnight in Detroit and then fly Saturday.

Filed in: | The Malik Report | Permalink

Comments

CaptainDennisPolonich's avatar

The boys are over Nebraska and about to cross into Colorado

They don’t call them the flyover states for nothing.  wink

Posted by CaptainDennisPolonich from The Land of Fake Boobs and Real Nuts on 05/07/13 at 01:18 PM ET

MOWingsfan19's avatar

More miles in one series than most EC teams put on all playoffs.

Posted by MOWingsfan19 from I really like our team on 05/07/13 at 01:21 PM ET

NHLJeff's avatar

As much as the extra travel sucks, I’m sure they’re pretty comfortable on the private plane

Posted by NHLJeff from Pens fan in Chicago, IL on 05/07/13 at 01:31 PM ET

CaptainDennisPolonich's avatar

Helene has them flying into SNA, while FlightAware has them flying into LGB. My money is on FlightAware.

Does anyone know where they stay for playoff series vs. the Ducks? It would make zero sense to stay in Santa Monica (where they stay during the regular season for games against the Kings and Duh ucks). I’m guessing one of the hotels near Disneyland?

Posted by CaptainDennisPolonich from The Land of Fake Boobs and Real Nuts on 05/07/13 at 01:37 PM ET

TheRealYooper's avatar

The boys are over Nebraska and about to cross into Colorado

They don’t call them the flyover states for nothing.  wink

Posted by CaptainDennisPolonich

we live in a truly wonderful age. we are able to track live our team as it travels across the world. never would have dreamed it back in the 70’s never ever.

Posted by TheRealYooper from within sight of the edge of the Earth. on 05/07/13 at 02:01 PM ET

Posted by TheRealYooper from within sight of the edge of the Earth. on 05/07/13 at 03:01 PM ET

And find our homes on Google Maps.

Posted by SYF from Alana Blanchard's Bikinis and Surfboards on 05/07/13 at 02:04 PM ET

RhymeTimeWingsDings's avatar

It’ll be nice to plan a short Xmas time vacation to a place like toronto or boston or hell even ottawa instead of looking at places like columbus and st. louis.

Posted by RhymeTimeWingsDings on 05/07/13 at 02:09 PM ET

TheRealYooper's avatar

Posted by RhymeTimeWingsDings

let’s not forget aboot Florida.  warm sunny day in the mid 70’s and a wings game to boot?

Posted by TheRealYooper from within sight of the edge of the Earth. on 05/07/13 at 02:30 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

Thanks Dennis what a beautiful bird.  I was going to look it up.  Yes it makes no sense to fly all the way up north into Santa Monica and combat traffic all the way down the 5 for a pre game skate and game.

I love the smaller feel and easy in and out - watch it, now - of Orange County airport.  It’s so near everything down there if that’s where you’re headed.

They’re about headed over St Georges, UT and then Las Vegas.

Posted by RWBill from Brush Street cruising with Super Creepy Rob Lowe. on 05/07/13 at 02:31 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

I wonder why they are flying into Long Beach instead of John Wayne?  Maybe landing fees or maintenance expenses?

Posted by RWBill from Brush Street cruising with Super Creepy Rob Lowe. on 05/07/13 at 02:42 PM ET

“De plane!  De plane.”

Posted by SYF from Alana Blanchard's Bikinis and Surfboards on 05/07/13 at 02:43 PM ET

OlderThanChelios's avatar

Only Filppula could top 21 minutes of playing time and manage not to send the puck on net once. He played well and all that, but still, you’d think he’d get a shot on net, just by accident.

Wow. Helene might need to check her eyesight. Filppula played exactly like he has for the past two months – terrible. He consistently makes bad choices with the puck and he gives it away more than he hangs on to it. And that pass to Nyquist on the winner last week? He flubbed it twice before finally sending it in Gus’ general direction.

I wear to Jobu, if Holland pays this guy $5M next year, he has to be fired. I wouldn’t even want him for $4M.

Posted by OlderThanChelios from Grand Rapids, MI on 05/07/13 at 02:48 PM ET

Jeff  OKWingnut's avatar

Posted by OlderThanChelios from Grand Rapids, MI on 05/07/13 at 03:48 PM ET

I’m not about to argue your point - - but the supply of available UFA forwards is slim indeed - - i.e. cost will be high

Heres a list of UFA

Posted by Jeff OKWingnut from Quest for 12 on 05/07/13 at 03:29 PM ET

HockeytownOverhaul's avatar

I agree Okie, but I think Tatar can give us similar production for 1/5 the price.  Tatar is easily a 40pnt player, but I bet he’ll become more of a Hudleresque 50-60 pointer as he seasons in the big league.

Problem solved.

Posted by HockeytownOverhaul on 05/07/13 at 03:36 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

Tatar is easily a 40pnt player,
Posted by HockeytownOverhaul on 05/07/13 at 04:36 PM ET

Well that’s an assumption that Ken Holland and others will bank on, or they’re not ready to.  Will be interesting to see.  Knowing the Wings, they won’t easily break a relationship with a guy they’ve brought up from diapers.  But they also will not overpay if Fil and agent are insistent.  Someone else WILL pay him.

Posted by RWBill from Brush Street cruising with Super Creepy Rob Lowe. on 05/07/13 at 03:49 PM ET

Posted by RWBill from the open bar on The Hasek. on 05/07/13 at 04:49 PM ET

The Dives.  And just the thought of that made shout street pizza.  But I wouldn’t put it past the Stars to pick him now that Nill’s in charge.

Posted by SYF from Alana Blanchard's Bikinis and Surfboards on 05/07/13 at 03:53 PM ET

RWBill,

They are probably flying into LGB because John Wayne has time restrictions.  I think 10PM is the latest planes can fly in and out of that airport.

Posted by yooperchris on 05/07/13 at 04:32 PM ET

calquake's avatar

If Fil is allowed to walk I would not be surprised to see him sign with the Ducks.  That’s assuming Salami plays another year.

Posted by calquake on 05/07/13 at 04:38 PM ET

That’s not a reason to pay a not-quite-top-six-forward that kind of money.

Posted by Garth on 05/07/13 at 04:46 PM ET

HockeytownOverhaul's avatar

unrelated but hilarious.

Posted by HockeytownOverhaul on 05/07/13 at 05:31 PM ET

That’s not a reason to pay a not-quite-top-six-forward that kind of money.

Hasn’t stopped a lot of other teams from taking that road.  As a result even mid-level talent is starting to cost more.  I think Detroit’s biggest hope is compliance buyouts will flood the market with formerly overpriced mid-range talent that will drive a player like Fil down.

I mean, imagine getting a straight shooter like Ville Leino or a two-way beast like Hudler for 3-4m a year?

/sarcasm

Posted by neffernin on 05/07/13 at 05:39 PM ET

NIVO's avatar

David Clarkson from Joyzee. Tick Tock seriously needs to make it happen.

Posted by NIVO from underpants gnome village on 05/07/13 at 05:46 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

RWBill,

Posted by yooperchris on 05/07/13 at 05:32 PM ET

Hey that’s a good idea.  If they plan to fly back Wednesday night immediately after the game that will likely be 1 a.m.  Then what, 4 hours in the air or more, + 3 hour time zone change, arriving in Michigan 8 am Thursday morning?  I bet they’ll miss that next year, never leaving the eastern time zone during the playoffs until the Cup Final.

Posted by RWBill from Brush Street cruising with Super Creepy Rob Lowe. on 05/07/13 at 05:55 PM ET

OlderThanChelios's avatar

Jeff, I get your point about limited availability, and I think RWBill strikes a reasonable note here…

I’m just so personally frustrated with the guy I want him gone – like now.

As for Tatar taking Fil’s spot, I think that role is more likely to fall to someone like Sheahan or Ferraro. Not next year. Maybe not even the year after that. But in the near future.

Posted by OlderThanChelios from Grand Rapids, MI on 05/07/13 at 06:09 PM ET

HockeytownOverhaul's avatar

as far as offensive production, I think Tatar is up to the task.  We have PLENTY of pass first forwards anyhow.

Posted by HockeytownOverhaul on 05/07/13 at 07:22 PM ET

Jeebus, have we forgotten about Mursak already?  The guy reputedly has wheels as fast as, if not faster, than Helm.  I hope he gets his shot at the big club as well.

Posted by SYF from Alana Blanchard's Bikinis and Surfboards on 05/07/13 at 08:12 PM ET

PaulinMiamiBeach's avatar

Yooper are you in FL?

and yeah, I think it’s silly where they put the Florida teams in the reorg but I’m not going to complain about seeing the Wings down here more than once every other year grin

Posted by PaulinMiamiBeach on 05/07/13 at 09:34 PM ET

PaulinMiamiBeach's avatar

Jeebus, have we forgotten about Mursak already?

Mursak signed a contract to play in Europe…

Posted by PaulinMiamiBeach on 05/07/13 at 09:37 PM ET

OlderThanChelios's avatar

Sounds like the perfect place for the 2015 Winter Classic – or at least one of the six (or eight) mini-Winter Classics. I mean, what could beat outdoor hockey in Florida in January? Make it happen, Lil’ Gary (you ass).

Posted by OlderThanChelios from Grand Rapids, MI on 05/07/13 at 10:21 PM ET

Mursak signed a contract to play in Europe…

Posted by PaulinMiamiBeach on 05/07/13 at 10:37 PM ET

Right.  I wrote that inquiry a couple of hours before Paul posted that news from mLive about Mursak leaving for Europe.

Posted by SYF from Alana Blanchard's Bikinis and Surfboards on 05/07/13 at 11:14 PM ET

redxblack's avatar

Imagine if they took trains still…

Posted by redxblack from Akron Ohio on 05/07/13 at 11:17 PM ET