The Malik Report

Will Wings fans boo Suter and Parise?

Updated at 5:40 PM: As noted in the game-day update post, we're going to hear a significant amount of chatter regarding Ryan Suter and Zach Parise playing at Joe Louis Arena after having spurned the Red Wings' offers to come to Detroit this past summer, and while I don't really hold a grudge against Parise, and am...Mildly annoyed...at Suter, I didn't think that Wings fans would boo either player. The Detroit News's Terry Foster thinks differently, and he's endorsing a hearty booing of the pair every time that they touch the puck:

It will be interesting to see if Detroit continues to play the long standing role of jilted lover when the Red Wings play host to the Minnesota Wild tonight at Joe Louis Arena.

This will be the first time former free agent stars Zach Parise and Ryan Suter come to town since turning down Red Wings money to play together in Parise's old hometown of Minneapolis. They were two free agents the Red Wings were hot after and expectations were for them to come here and become the spark that eased the franchise into the post Nick Lidstrom era.

Parise is a power forward in the stratosphere of former Wing Brendan Shanahan and Suter is the blue liner Red Wings fans have long coveted. Although Suter is off to a shaky start, the Wings certainly could have used him during that season-opening 6-0 loss to St. Louis that still is hard to swallow.

They are the difference from the Wings remaining Stanley Cup contenders and being playoff pretenders.

It makes no sense for fans to shower them with boos because the two friends wanted to play together near their homes and be with family. But giving the raspberry to those who jilt us is sort of what we do. So my advice is to let them have it. It won't do any good other than to let a little steam off, but let them know you are not happy.

The Parise-Suter decision was a lot like the union of LeBron James and Dwyane Wade with the Miami Heat without "The Decision" on television. Two friends talked during the Olympics, decided to play together before letting the rest of us on the decision and are making a lot of money.

It is funny how different hockey and basketball are. James and Wade were holding the NBA hostage. Parise and Suter were just making good family decisions. The bottom line is their decision did not involve Detroit. You've got my permission to let them have it tonight.

Update: Take this for what you will, from the Macomb Daily's Chuck Pleiness:

Minnesota’s Zach Parise on his courtship by the Wings this offseason.

“That was definitely one of the teams I was very interested in playing for,” Parise said Friday morning at Joe Louis Arena. “They’re just a great organization. I have a lot of respect for them. They do things the right way. They play the game the right way. That was a tough one, because it’s a really good place to play.”

Filed in: | The Malik Report | Permalink

Comments

Nathan's avatar

Wait. Parise is a power forward? In the stratosphere of Brendan Shanahan? That must make Suter essentially Bobby Orr.

Posted by Nathan from the scoresheet! on 01/25/13 at 03:44 PM ET

Crow's avatar

Yea I laughed when Terry Foster wrote “Parise is a power forward”.  Terry, please stick with basketball.

Posted by Crow on 01/25/13 at 03:54 PM ET

Guilherme's avatar

I’d throw an octopus on Parise’s face, and ask him if I can throw another on Suter’s. But no, would not boo them.

Class, you know.

Posted by Guilherme from Brazsil on 01/25/13 at 04:02 PM ET

Colquhoun's avatar

Gosh, I hope our fans are classier than that.

Posted by Colquhoun on 01/25/13 at 04:16 PM ET

RorSchach's avatar

I won’t boo them. Just secretly wish that Dangle’s would deke with both of them on the ice.. and have them collide with one another.. hurting themselves. But nooo.. I will not boo them.

Posted by RorSchach from Datsberg on 01/25/13 at 04:17 PM ET

Colquhoun's avatar

Suter at minus 3 would have been a good fit in our D corps, though

Posted by Colquhoun on 01/25/13 at 04:19 PM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

Order of preference

Cheering loudly for the wings > Cheering respectfully for Josh Harding > Booing Parise and Suter > Silence.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 01/25/13 at 04:21 PM ET

LivinLaVidaLockout's avatar

They never played for the Wings, they never owed us anything, and I think most fans understand that the top free agents don’t always sign with their team.
How is this even an issue?

Posted by LivinLaVidaLockout on 01/25/13 at 04:34 PM ET

MOWingsfan19's avatar

Power forward in the diminutive sense maybe.

Posted by MOWingsfan19 from I really like our team on 01/25/13 at 04:48 PM ET

Guilherme's avatar

How is this even an issue?

Maybe just Ilitch, Holland and Babcock boo them. “Why the fuch did you have me fly to Wisconsin, dammit?!”

Posted by Guilherme from Brazsil on 01/25/13 at 05:17 PM ET

MsRedWingFan's avatar

WTH is wrong with Comcast or FSD showing the Pistons on both FSD and FSD PLUS+ ??? ......  NO Red Wings till midnight?????????

Posted by MsRedWingFan from West Michigan hometown of Abdelkader on 01/25/13 at 07:31 PM ET

perfection's avatar

you guys are really pathetically mature… I plan on booing them every time they touch the puck for the rest of their careers. The only thing douchier than booing these two players is picking the frigging Wild over the Red Wings in free agency. Screw those guys. Go wings.

Posted by perfection from LaLaLand on 01/25/13 at 08:07 PM ET