The Malik Report

Will Babcock Make Changes On The Defense?

Do you really think the Wings will change their defense tonight or is this just Drew Sharp being Drew Sharp?

Coach Mike Babcock is contemplating lineup changes for Game 6, perhaps opting for a little more veteran experience on the blue line. There have been more than a few occasions in this series where their green defensemen — Brendan Smith, Brian Lashoff and Jakub Kindl — have handled the puck in their own end as if it were radioactive.

But could adding Ian White or Carlo Colaiacovo into the lineup really provide that dramatic of an improvement?

You’ve gone this far. Don’t stop now. Let the kids learn from their mistakes, even if it ultimately contributes to another early playoff exit.

Filed in: | The Malik Report | Permalink

Comments

MOWingsfan19's avatar

“I don’t care what fans or bloggers think”.
Drew Sharp can go $%^& himself.

Posted by MOWingsfan19 from I really like our team on 05/10/13 at 08:44 AM ET

TreKronor's avatar

I’d take White over Kindl just about any day.  Possibly even Cola over Kindl.

Posted by TreKronor on 05/10/13 at 08:48 AM ET

Let the youngsters get the experience. There will not be cup in D this year so let the kids get some playoff seasoning.  It will payoff later

Posted by SlimChance on 05/10/13 at 09:10 AM ET

I tend to agree with the idea of riding it out out with the “kids”. We’re not a Cup contender and the best we can hope for is to win the Ducks’ series and then suffer a thrashing at the hands of the Hawks. I would rather Kindl and Quincey not be in the lineup, but we really don’t have any significant upgrades at this point. Holland still needs to find that top 2 defenseman to pair with Kronwall and with Smith, E and DeKeyser slotted in for next season our blueline looks very promising.

Posted by godblender on 05/10/13 at 09:24 AM ET

the only d-man available that looked barely ok was cola.  Is that better than Lashof?  and he’s a little rusty.  white looked atrocious the last few times on the ice, and it was a month ago.

Posted by akwingsfan on 05/10/13 at 09:25 AM ET

redxblack's avatar

Holland already has his moral victory of keeping the playoff streak. This team is not cup hungry. Some of the players might be, but the organ-i-zation does not seem to be at all.

That said, we’re likely to see more “seasoning” than we will an attempt to win.

Posted by redxblack from Akron Ohio on 05/10/13 at 09:36 AM ET

PaulinMiamiBeach's avatar

I still think Cola should be playing.  he’s the closest thing we have to a puck-moving defenseman that makes that outlet pass to the neutral zone.  the team sorely misses that.

Posted by PaulinMiamiBeach on 05/10/13 at 10:15 AM ET

Rumbear's avatar

Posted by PaulinMiamiBeach on 05/10/13 at 11:15 AM ET

What he said.

Enough seasoning, let’s win a game here.  I think Cola brings a skill set that will help getting the puck up ice.  Who to sit? Leave it to Babs….that’s why he makes the big$$.

Posted by Rumbear from Top O the Hasek, with 3 fingers of rum & a cigar.. on 05/10/13 at 10:24 AM ET

There’s no quotes in the article supporting Sharp’s claim that “Babcock is contemplating lineup changes.” I also think Babcock knows that we’re not winning the Cup this year, ain’t gonna happen, so every game of playoff experience these young defensemen get is going to help the organization in the long run. Time to think about the future, not the present. The present is a “dead man walking” right now.

Posted by Diggler from Marquette, MI on 05/10/13 at 11:41 AM ET

Posted by PaulinMiamiBeach on 05/10/13 at 11:15 AM ET

Have a Guinness, Sir.  Well said.

Posted by SYF from Alana Blanchard's Bikinis and Surfboards on 05/10/13 at 01:14 PM ET

Figaro's avatar

Dag nabbit!  You made me read Drew Sharp!! Not cool, man. Not cool.

Posted by Figaro from Los Alamos, NM on 05/10/13 at 05:06 PM ET