The Malik Report

WiiM offers some preliminary Winter Classic ticket-pricing info?

I certainly can’t confirm this, but, via RedWingsFeed, Winging it in Motown reader Jaclyn_ posited a probable slate of Winter Classic ticket prices, as released to Wings season ticket-holders this week:

I’ve never posted here before, but I read this site all the time. I became a wings season ticket holder this year and I received information on the winter classic tickets today. I thought I would share some of the stuff, so everyone knew what to expect when they become available to the public. Tickets for the winter classic itself start at $89.00 then continue 129.00, 149.00, 189.00, 219.00, 249.00, and 279.00. Not including taxes or fees. You also have to buy one ticket to the great lakes invitational per winter classic ticket you buy, in order to complete your package. Those prices are 18.00, 28.00, and 38.00. The season ticket holder book says that overflow tickets will be made available to the public later this summer. And that the alumni showdown tickets will not be made available to anyone until later this summer. Just thought id share the info I could on classic.

The “regular person” prices are usually more expensive than the rates offered to season ticket-holders…And as expensive as these rates are, especially for seats half a frickin’ mile from the action, I thought that they’d be marked up even more than they’re listed as. Keep in mind that ticket prices for the Winter classic itself are determined by the NHL, not the Wings…

Update: Well this is incredibly discouraging. According to an email Josh Howard received from the Grand Rapids Griffins, there will be no public sale of Winter Classic tickets:

As we enter our beautiful summer months, we are looking forward to our 17th Season this year. We have some exciting events coming up this year including the Winter Classic Game between the Detroit Red Wings and the Toronto Maple Leafs. There will be no public sale for this event and the Griffins are one of the only places you can purchase tickets to this historic event. Tickets will be made available to many of our ticket plan holders.

Filed in: | The Malik Report | Permalink

Comments

DetroitHockey's avatar

Those prices are better than I expected, not that I expect enough to actually be available by the time “later this summer” rolls around.

Posted by DetroitHockey on 06/08/12 at 04:16 PM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

Personally, I believe the organization will sell as many tickets as possible to the season ticket holders and then release the public sale tickets at a later date for whatever amount they need to fill back out.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 06/08/12 at 04:32 PM ET

DrewBehr's avatar

This infuriates me, but at the same time, makes a ton of sense.

You look at the amount of teams being involved (Red Wings, Leafs, Griffins, Marlies, Spitfire, Spirit, Whalers, Knights as well as colleges). You would almost assume every single team could use Winter Classic tickets as incentives to increase season ticket holders.

Also, looking at the WC schedule:

DEC. 15-26: Celebration of Hockey featuring amateur games, corporate outings and open skates. Information on booking ice time can be obtained by visiting DetroitRedWings.com/icetime.

Once again, incentives for teams and businesses to purchase ice time would be the ability to purchase tickets.

Is this smart from a money making standpoint? Yes. But I feel that they are essentially whoring out the Winter Classic and leaving the “common fan” out in the cold. Do I think that they will be able to move 110,000+ tickets that way? No, but crazier things have happened.

Posted by DrewBehr from The Mitten on 06/08/12 at 04:47 PM ET

Great, can’t wait to see the insane prices on StubHub since there will be no public sale. Good job, NHL.

Posted by Jeremy from Toledo, OH on 06/08/12 at 04:49 PM ET

Primis's avatar

Stuff like this almost makes me hope there is a labor stoppage so that the event gets nixed.

Posted by Primis on 06/08/12 at 05:20 PM ET

Neznarf's avatar

Posted by Primis on 06/08/12 at 04:20 PM ET

Ok, let’s not get crazy here. Lol.

Posted by Neznarf on 06/08/12 at 05:27 PM ET

This information is pretty solid, i received my season ticket info yesterday.  Wings and Toronto pretty much get to split the stadium in half in terms of ticket allotment.  Both teams will take care of season ticket holders, sponsors, and other “key stakeholders” before any public sale will be allowed.  Each season ticket holder will be allowed the same number of seats as on your account.

Posted by mrawlings on 06/08/12 at 05:31 PM ET

I live next to the Big House. I’m quite upset about the “No Public Sale” and I’m still upset that the University Of Michigan didn’t ensure with their contract with the NHL that a certain block of tickets be allotted to the University and to students, especially U of M football season ticket holders.

Posted by Zach from Ann Arbor on 06/08/12 at 06:00 PM ET

DetroitHockey's avatar

Don’t remember the Wings being allotted half the stadium in Chicago.  Nice little “home” game we’ve got here.

Posted by DetroitHockey on 06/08/12 at 06:49 PM ET

I have the pricing page through my season ticket info page.

I’m not sure how to post images, but i wouldn’t mind sending it over to you guys.

it includes comerica park and big hose.

Does this link work?

Posted by steve on 06/08/12 at 07:04 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

Thanks Steve.
If you want to see this seating chart in a bigger size, use Steve’s link above.

I almost don’t know what to say here.  113,000 seats and they won’t be sold to the public?  muthafuchers!

Posted by RWBill from Brush Street cruising with Super Creepy Rob Lowe. on 06/08/12 at 07:25 PM ET

George Malik's avatar

Thanks for the link, Steve. We’ll have to see what the NHL does because when it comes to the actual Big House game, it’s not anything that the Red Wings control. They’ve been paid for a home game’s worth of revenues (at the Joe) and the NHL takes control of the event from there on out.

Posted by George Malik from South Lyon, MI on 06/08/12 at 07:55 PM ET

Oh well, so much for buying tickets for me and 49 of my closest friends tongue rolleye

Posted by Bugsy on 06/08/12 at 08:52 PM ET

Oops, “myself”. for above. Also, George, through your connections, let’s say you do get offered a ticket. What’s your stance now as far as whether you’d go? I know you were hesitant before for multiple reasons.

Posted by Bugsy on 06/08/12 at 08:54 PM ET

George Malik's avatar

I’m not going to attend unless I can get a media credential. I don’t plan on attempting to take the opportunity away from someone else who wants to freeze their ass off or sit through the rain wink

Seriously, I don’t think that it’d be fair for me to go as a fan, on top of the fact that I lived under a mile from the Big House and know how uncomfortable I’d be packed in there like sardines. It’s not right or fair for someone who can apply to the league to get a credential to grab one of those seats.

Posted by George Malik from South Lyon, MI on 06/08/12 at 09:32 PM ET

Well, that answers my implied question about whether you had the option to apply for a media credential…. actually,  I thought of it, but wasn’t sure if I should ask.

Posted by Bugsy on 06/08/12 at 09:37 PM ET

George Malik's avatar

I don’t know if I will be able to apply for a media credential. Everyone in the Western World who works for a website or blog wants one…

But the honest truth is that it’s the only way I would go not just because I don’t want to take that seat away from someone else, but as I kinda hinted at, actually going and being in a crowd of 113,000 would probably be incredibly uncomfortable both physically and given my fear of crowds. It’d crank my anxiety up and so I might not enjoy it all that much, so the controlled situation is really the only way to go that makes sense for my comfort level, never mind saving a butt in the crowd for someone else to fill.

Otherwise, I’ll just stay at home and watch it on TV, or go to Ann Arbor and watch it in a bar with friends or something like that to take in the surreal atmosphere of a hundred thousand people filling what is a half-empty town from about December 20th to January 3rd or 4th.

Posted by George Malik from South Lyon, MI on 06/08/12 at 09:57 PM ET

Well that’s certainly a “Cool story bro” if I’ve ever read one

Posted by Mark on 06/09/12 at 04:36 PM ET