The Malik Report

Who Will Replace DeKeyser?

from Chuck Pleiness of Red Wings Front,

Babcock said before the playoffs that signing DeKeyser was the reason the Wings reached the playoffs for a 22nd consecutive season.

“He’s a kid, don’t get me wrong, but he’s a good player, so that’s a big blow for our team,” Babcock said. “But there are other guys that have been working hard, Lash, Colaiacovo have been working like crazy, trying to get back in the lineup. One of them will be in.”

I reviewed last night's game and right before the Ducks 3rd goal DeKeyser was in the corner battling with Selanne and DeKeyser had his stick at a weird angle and then you see him twitch a bit, there was no slash involved.

Unfortunately, that is not part of the video below, but it does show him in some pain as he remained on the ice and you can see him grab for his right hand right after the goal.

added 4:51pm,

Filed in: | The Malik Report | Permalink

Comments

1 2 >       Next »

DAN M's avatar

any idea why Ian White is buried so deep these days?

Posted by DAN M on 05/03/13 at 02:47 PM ET

TreKronor's avatar

Hopefully if they don’t play well Babs doesn’t lament on how much they miss him.  He pulled that crap last year in the playoffs once Helm was gone.  Accept it; move on, but don’t dwell on it as an excuse.

Posted by TreKronor on 05/03/13 at 02:50 PM ET

mrfluffy's avatar

Haven’t heard and frankly don’t care. Besides, White can’t even begin to muscle up to the *ucks size.

Posted by mrfluffy from Long Beach on 05/03/13 at 02:51 PM ET

Vladimir16's avatar

Who Will Replace DeKeyser?
by Paul on 05/03/13 at 02:39 PM ET

My guess? Colawhateverhisnameis

Posted by Vladimir16 from Grand River Valley on 05/03/13 at 03:00 PM ET

Hootinani's avatar

Ideally, Cola would come in with some offense, and Smith would try and fill Der Kaiser’s spot: buckle down defensively, play with a little snarl, and start making some good passes out of the zone.  You know, the things that we heard he was supposed to be good at.

If there was anytime for Smith to do some maturing, this is it.

Posted by Hootinani on 05/03/13 at 03:13 PM ET

CaptNorris5's avatar

Ian White totally had sex with Babcock’s wife.

Posted by CaptNorris5 from The Winged Wheel, stuck in Chicago on 05/03/13 at 03:19 PM ET

RedMenace's avatar

If it were me (and it’s probably good it’s not), Lashoff would come in for DD, and Smith would sit in favor of Cocoa.

Posted by RedMenace from the Church of Jesus Lashoff on 05/03/13 at 03:20 PM ET

PaulinMiamiBeach's avatar

I don’t see DeKeyser on the ice during that goal.

it looks like Andersson, Emmerton, Smith, Kronwall, and Quincey.

yes there are 3 Wings dmen on the ice.

wtf

Posted by PaulinMiamiBeach on 05/03/13 at 03:23 PM ET

PaulinMiamiBeach's avatar

oh wait it is DeKeyser, not Kronwall.

I wonder if he broke his thumb when he went down in that weird position to try and block the shot with his face.

and again, why are there 3 dmen on the ice?

Posted by PaulinMiamiBeach on 05/03/13 at 03:24 PM ET

Paul's avatar

PMB, Quincy I believe just came out of the penalty box.

CN5, watch it, Burke’s attorney may be watching.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 05/03/13 at 03:28 PM ET

Love that quote, Cola and Lash have been working hard. Hey Ian White…nice knowing you.

Posted by AZWinger on 05/03/13 at 03:37 PM ET

bezukov's avatar

Lets see Lashoff.  The kid more than earned his chance this season.

Posted by bezukov from the kids are alright. on 05/03/13 at 03:39 PM ET

CaptNorris5's avatar

CN5, watch it, Burke’s attorney may be watching.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 05/03/13 at 03:28 PM ET

Hahaha; goind point. I might find myself Co-Defendant to POONERMAN all too soon.

As for Cola v. Lashoff - go with the kid. It’s an investment.

Posted by CaptNorris5 from The Winged Wheel, stuck in Chicago on 05/03/13 at 03:45 PM ET

and again, why are there 3 dmen on the ice?

Quincey just got out of the box.

Posted by Garth on 05/03/13 at 03:53 PM ET

PaulinMiamiBeach's avatar

White must feel like shit.  I mean, in a statement like that the coach doesn’t even MENTION you?  White probably didn’t hear him say it…but it’s indicative of the could shoulder White is probably getting overall.

Babcock said something interesting yesterday, that my dad told me about.  he said there is a simple way to evaluate how Bertuzzi is doing (and likely any player)...based on who touches the puck after him (another Wing, or an opponent)

sounds like Babcock is tuned into the turnovers, and paying attention.

Posted by PaulinMiamiBeach on 05/03/13 at 04:02 PM ET

DAN M's avatar

yea i’m wondering why white is so buried too.  we’ve had exactly 2 right handed defensemen that were worth a damn that come to mind.  rafalski and larry murphy. am i forgetting anyone else?  I had high hopes for white.  I was ecstatic when we signed him.

Posted by DAN M on 05/03/13 at 04:12 PM ET

mrfluffy's avatar

I think Lidstrom made White more than he was.

Posted by mrfluffy from Long Beach on 05/03/13 at 04:17 PM ET

That’s why it made no sense for KH to keep White at the trade deadline.  And then once he did, it made no sense to call up Lash to ride the pine for a month.

Posted by jkm2011 on 05/03/13 at 04:21 PM ET

Sounds like Babcock just doesn’t care for White’s game.  And we’ve seen what happens once the shine wears off with Babs.  There aren’t really any second chances.

It’s too bad—I liked White when he arrived, and thought he played pretty well.  But somehow he’s gotten himself crosswise with Babcock.

But frankly, we haven’t seen much out of Cola, either.

As to who gets the nod, it’s hard to say.  It is the playoffs—experience counts a lot.

But Colo is -4 for just 113 minutes of ice time on the year.  And Lashoff is -10 for 551 minutes, so even though Lashoff was slumping a bit over his last 5 or so games, he’s been a better bet overall.

Then again, White is +5 for 489 minutes, so go figure!

It’ll be interesting to see what Babcock does.  But I’ve got a real bad feeling with DeKeyser gone.  Just saying . . .

Posted by Chris in DC on 05/03/13 at 04:26 PM ET

White doesn’t play because he doesn’t (can’t, won’t?) play on the PK. Neither does Kindl or Quincy. DeKeyser did. Need someone to replace DK - that’d be Lash.

Posted by AZWinger on 05/03/13 at 04:30 PM ET

RedMenace's avatar

Posted by Chris in DC on 05/03/13 at 04:26 PM ET

The crazy thing about Lashoff’s +/- rating is that he was paired with Kronwall for a lot of that, against opposition’s top lines. Now whether that number is more of an indictment of poor play from Kronwall or Lashoff, we may never really know; however, Lashoff is quite a bit more solid defensively than people will give him credit for, and has a pretty damned good outlet pass that nobody seems to notice.

Posted by RedMenace from the Church of Jesus Lashoff on 05/03/13 at 04:34 PM ET

I think the biggest reason White is deep in the doghouse because he complained about getting scratched.  Every other player, though not too happy about it, kept their mouth shut.  If we got wind of it I am sure his attitude was pretty poor in the locker room.  I have never been a fan of White anyways, he is a jack of most trade but a master of none, which is why he has played on just about every NHL team since he came into the league.  I still think he should have been dumped for a draft pick, but I don’t want to pick at that scab again

Posted by bababooey on 05/03/13 at 04:50 PM ET

Paul's avatar

Added Khan tweet to post, Lashoff it is.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 05/03/13 at 04:53 PM ET

PaulinMiamiBeach's avatar

Lashoff seems to me to be the faster of the three.  I vote for speed.

Posted by PaulinMiamiBeach on 05/03/13 at 04:57 PM ET

SK77's avatar

Posted by bababooey on 05/03/13 at 04:50 PM ET

I like draft picks ... but on the off change the Wings actually make it through a round or two they’re going to need bodies. If one more defenseman goes down then suddenly White is back in the mix.

It’s a tough balancing act and you’ve got to play out all the scenarios, including extremes – 6th round pick versus giving 15+ minutes a night to one of the Griffins in their NHL debut in the quarterfinals.

Posted by SK77 on 05/03/13 at 04:58 PM ET

MOWingsfan19's avatar

I liked White when he arrived, and thought he played pretty well

Playing with #5 will do that.
I’m good with Lash in for DK.

Posted by MOWingsfan19 from I really like our team on 05/03/13 at 04:59 PM ET

PaulinMiamiBeach's avatar

yay I voted right! grin

Posted by PaulinMiamiBeach on 05/03/13 at 04:59 PM ET

Sorry, if they are out of bodies and are forced to call some people up from the Griffs, so be it.  Having Ian White in does nothing to help their chances to advance.

Posted by bababooey on 05/03/13 at 05:02 PM ET

Paul's avatar

Khan tweets…

DeKeyser (broken right thumb) out 6-8 weeks; he said he’s done for playoffs. Might need surgery. Injury happened on collision with Palmieri.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 05/03/13 at 05:08 PM ET

SK77's avatar

Posted by bababooey on 05/03/13 at 05:02 PM ET

Having a 5/6 defenseman with NHL & playoff experience actually would help the Wings’ chances more than playing a rookie from the Griffins. Simple fact.

Posted by SK77 on 05/03/13 at 05:16 PM ET

DAN M's avatar

2 amnesties over next 2 summers.  that’s gonna be interesting.

Posted by DAN M on 05/03/13 at 05:41 PM ET

DAN M's avatar

I’m also real interested in knowing what kinda raises smith, kindl, nyqvist and andersson are getting

Posted by DAN M on 05/03/13 at 05:56 PM ET

Added Khan tweet to post, Lashoff it is.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 05/03/13 at 04:53 PM ET

I guess he really is excited for the kids and their learning curves.

Posted by SYF from Zata's Epic Viking Beard on 05/03/13 at 06:34 PM ET

I’d imagine most of you guys remember when Ericcson was the whipping post for everything about the Wings defense?  He had a lot of turnovers in game 1 yes, but I’ve barely heard a whisper about him otherwise.  I am hoping the same goes for Kindl, Quincy, Smith, Dekeyser and Lashoff.  Say what you will but everyone was talking about Detroit’s weak defense all year round but surprising walked away one of the best in the league.  I bet White and Colo would be automatic 2nd line defensemen on many teams…

I really think this bodes very very well for the future.

Posted by neffernin on 05/03/13 at 06:37 PM ET

OlderThanChelios's avatar

Added Khan tweet to post, Lashoff it is.

Great opportunity for Lash. After the way he played this year, especially on the PK, he’s earned it.

Now if Jobu would just find another team to pick on for the next month, maybe we won’t all end up plastering the Hasek with vomit. I’m guessing Voox is getting pretty tired of cleaning all of that up by now. smile

Posted by OlderThanChelios from Grand Rapids, MI on 05/03/13 at 07:04 PM ET

Slumpy's avatar

Yes and I was one of them and he still is a marshmallow in his own end to this day. He has improved though I’ll give him that.
Ian White must not be putting in the effort and came in badly out of shape from the lockout. This guy was not that bad a defenseman in the NHL to be rotting on the bench in favor of a Lashoff or Carla Cola I broke my nail again guy.
Lashoff will work his arse off at least but I’m not expecting him to not make some very bad decisions in the Wings end.
Lets just hope he keeps it simple and the best thing he can do for us is block shots.
At least he won’t collapse into Howard from the blueline when say a Getzlaf has the puck on the rush alone from the redline like kronwall and ericcson did in Game 2, sigh.

Posted by Slumpy from Detroit on 05/03/13 at 08:55 PM ET

DAN M's avatar

I think we have 4 keepers. Kron and E on the 1st pair. Dekeyser leads the 2nd pair. And Lashoff on the 3rd. I really don’t know what to make of Smith. Ditto Kindl. I expected more from Smith. Kindl played well I believe but what’s his future?  anyone who’s ever read anything I’ve ever said knows I can’t stand Kyle Q.  If those amnesties were a little easier to come by KQ should be sent packing on principle alone.

Posted by DAN M on 05/03/13 at 09:06 PM ET

Primis's avatar

Re: White, I think he’s in the wrong place at the wrong time.

He was brought in SPECIFICALLY because of his handedness to play with Lidstrom.  I really don’t think there was any long-term planning for him beyond that.  The fact is though that even without Lidstrom, White at first looked to be pretty solid himself.

I think this year especially several of the vets (White and Kronwall in particular) have simply had too much asked of them.  It’s to Kronwall’s credit he wasn’t totally wilted and he still has the team’s faith.  White unfortunately has wilted it seems.

Cola catches sh*t from ya’ll but I think not only has he had a lot put on him too, but he also was new to everyone on top of it all with basically no freaking training camp or preseason and a compressed schedule.  Tough to learn DET’s system when the guys working with you are Ericsson, Quincey, Smith, Kindl who are still learning themselves and oftentimes failing completely.  Cola has those flashes though of brilliance at both ends.  I don’t think those are accidents.  I think the lockout hurt Colaiacovo’s season a lot.

Come to think of it, if we’re being honest the lockout and lack of camp/preseason combined with injuries then could actually explain a lot of DET’s struggles with their younger and newer players.  For a team in flux, missing camp/preseason was a tall order.

Posted by Primis on 05/03/13 at 09:55 PM ET

DAN M's avatar

That’s why Babcock should be a coach of the year candidate and Kronwall should get some Norris attention. That D looked like a disaster coming in and we played above average. I really think Jimmy owes those guys some watches or somethin after he scored that nice deal.

Posted by DAN M on 05/03/13 at 10:02 PM ET

The reason why it’s Lashoff is simply because he is best able to replace Dekeyser’s role as a penalty killer and on even strength and his size against the Ducks lineup. If it were someone getting PP minutes that went down, Cola would’ve been in. Kinda suspected this would be the case, don’t really have a problem with it, but I’d like to see Smith sat down, he’s been very…bad.

Posted by Marisabel on 05/03/13 at 11:58 PM ET