The Malik Report

White’s all right to play against Calgary? Ken Holland says Red Wings will decide on Tuesday

I'm trying to slowly but surely build upon Monday's gaggle of practice post news to fill up an early overnight report--for some reason, my body has decided that I need to go into my 35th birthday feeling like I lost a fight (I have been told that I felt similarly at Hutzel Hospital in 1978)--but given the awful news about Brendan Smith, and given that the Red Wings will face an incredibly motivated Calgary Flames team (including Happy Hudler) tomorrow night, you and I both need some good injury news for once, and the Macomb Daily's Chuck Pleiness provides just that...

As does the Detroit News's Ted Kulfan:

General manager Ken Holland said defenseman Ian White has been cleared and will likely play Tuesday against Calgary.

White suffered a deep leg laceration, just above the knee, Jan. 22 against Dallas when goalie Jimmy Howard’s skate sliced him during a play near the crease. White has missed the last five games but his return is timely, given defenseman Brendan Smith is now gone for about a month with a shoulder seperation.

Filed in: | The Malik Report | Permalink

Comments

cigar_nurse's avatar

Happy birthday George. I was born at Hutzel when it was called Women’s Hospital. Hopefully you will get a Red Wing win and whatever else tripps your trigger.

If Smith is a left side shooter, he should be able to come back sooner with the injury to the lower hand of the stick. Just sayin.

Posted by cigar_nurse from Greenville South Cakalakee on 02/04/13 at 10:34 PM ET

cigar_nurse's avatar

Sorry meant upper hand on stick. His right hand holds the top of the stick and is a lesser range of motion to the injured shoulder.

Posted by cigar_nurse from Greenville South Cakalakee on 02/04/13 at 10:42 PM ET

MoreShoot's avatar

And are the Wings preparing to package Quincey and Tatar for Visnovsky?  That would be ok, I guess.

Posted by MoreShoot on 02/04/13 at 10:42 PM ET

Hippy Dave's avatar

Happy Birthday, George!  If its any consolation, I nearly died on my mine and despite what everyone else tells me, I’m fine!

Do we officially have more defensemen than forwards now?

Posted by Hippy Dave from Portland by way of Detroit on 02/05/13 at 01:25 AM ET

Hockeytown Wax's avatar

Game Winning Goal: S. Souray (ANH) to beat San Jose

Passed up on him twice ... brilliant

Every game that goes by that we continue to suck and I see the Dmen we could have had as UFAs do well, I’m getting more impatient with Holland & Co.

Granted, they found a gem in Brunner, but that doesn’t help our D, and thats whats going to solidify this team.

Lets hope Tatar finds room out there to do his thing so we can throw a forward into a package for a Dman that should have been free.

Posted by Hockeytown Wax from West Bloomfield, Mi. on 02/05/13 at 01:43 AM ET

Joe Z.'s avatar

The 5 on 3 by Anaheim was the most pathetic PP I ever saw. And that’s including the Wings’ one the last two years…. Marleu had a breakaway during the PK…

Posted by Joe Z. from Austria on 02/05/13 at 05:50 AM ET

Hockeytown Wax's avatar

then maybe we can rescue him from anaheim.
they can have quincey for all i care.

Posted by Hockeytown Wax from West Bloomfield, Mi. on 02/05/13 at 06:04 AM ET

Vladimir16's avatar

Game Winning Goal: S. Souray (ANH) to beat San Jose
Passed up on him twice ... brilliant
Posted by Hockeytown Wax from West Bloomfield, Mi. on 02/05/13 at 01:43 AM ET

Yeah but Souray doesn’t fit the “Wings System”. He’s big and tough….

Posted by Vladimir16 from Grand River Valley on 02/05/13 at 07:58 AM ET