The Malik Report

What Will The Wings Do?

The Ansar Khan feature, "Ask Ansar" at Mlive,

Q. Besides (Mikael) Samuelsson, which other forward will be let go?

A. I don't think Samuelsson is going anywhere. He has a no-trade clause and would be difficult to move even if he agreed to waive it due to his salary, age and injury-plagued 2013 season. Teams can't bury veteran players in the minors under the new CBA. In Samuelsson's case, $2.9 million of his $3 million salary would still count against the cap. They would clear a roster spot but would be paying him a lot of money (almost all of which would remain on their cap) for playing in the minors.

Q. The Red Wings need to trim some salary and at least a few bodies before the start of the regular season. We've been debating how they are going to do this since the start of free agency. So what is the smartest way for the Wings to deal with this problem? I don't see any of the waiver eligible players going to the Griffins, So whose days are numbered in Red and White before Oct. 1, 2013?

A. In summary, Helm sure to start on injured reserve and, in my opinion, Nyquist will start in Grand Rapids and either Tootoo or Eaves will be traded or waived.

Filed in: | The Malik Report | Permalink

Comments

Heaton's avatar

Sure, why not send Nyquist down to make sure he’s 25 *#$%@& years old before he starts his NHL career.  Worked for Franzen, right?

Posted by Heaton on 09/16/13 at 11:48 AM ET

perfection's avatar

you know, I’m getting sick of Ansar acting like he knows what the hell is going on. He and Helene single handedly decided Tatar was somehow the oddman out because the team signed Cleary. The rumor sure stuck around here as that is all everyone started saying like it was fact. Now Holland shoots it down quite explicitly and these folks just act like they never even said it. Meanwhile, Babs also quite explicitly put Sammy and Bert on the hotseat, saying they need to fight for their jobs and that it’s going to be tough after missing a year. I’m not saying that they will likely waive Sammy, as they probably should, but Babs seemed to make it clear that if Sammy is not one of the top 14 players, he should not expect to be given a roster spot. Also, Sammy is one guy that could potentially be claimed off waivers if the right team has the right injury or need. Also, if we shed enough salary through the Helm IR or perhaps trading/waiving Tootoo and we are under the cap, it doesn’t really matter what part of Sammy’s salary comes off the cap while in the AHL. As long as our roster is compliant and we are cap compliant, if nobody else wants him, we CAN in fact bury Sammy in the minors for as long as we want.

Ansar just acts like it’s not even a possibility (even implying it’s not allowed… just because the entire salary doesn’t come off the cap anymore), despite the fact that the team has given every indication that they will do what they have to do and that these veterans are not safe. These media doofuses are getting everyone riled up over NOTHING, because they know literally the same amount as we do. They just make stuff up based on their “intuition” or their “feelings”. That’s not journalism.

Posted by perfection from LaLaLand on 09/16/13 at 11:52 AM ET

It was Tatar himself who questioned what would happen to him the Wing MSMers ran with it.  Samuelsson is not going anywhere because he can’t, if there was any possibility it would have already been explored.  The Wings are going to have a tough time trading anyone unless there is a major injury.  Most teams are set and are at their internal budget limits, who is going to want a Tootoo or Emmerton now?  And I hope Wings fans go apoplectic if Nyquist gets sent down because the Wings mgmt. can’t fathom the idea of not signing every available ex-Wing on the downside of their careers.  By the way, most people were speculating that Nyquist would be the one who gets screwed because he has waiver options left and Holland doesn’t have the balls to do what he should have done earlier this summer.

Posted by bababooey on 09/16/13 at 12:30 PM ET

Wings_in_NYC's avatar

Signing Sammy was one of the dumbest things Kenny ever did. And a NTC to boot. And now we are stuck with Cleary too. Have fun in GR, Nyquist. Ugh.

Posted by Wings_in_NYC on 09/16/13 at 12:39 PM ET

RhymeTimeWingsDings's avatar

Soooo who garners more boos after they have 5 points after 20 games and Nyquist is still in GR

Posted by RhymeTimeWingsDings on 09/16/13 at 12:41 PM ET

Boy, he sure did, didn’t he?

That’s what you call shooting something down “quite explicitly”?

Sure they have.

Uh, yeah…ok.

Posted by Garth on 09/16/13 at 12:54 PM ET

perfection is going to have to change his name because he has no idea what happens in the wings world. 95 percent chance Nyquist starts in Gr barring injuries

Posted by jkm2011 on 09/16/13 at 01:37 PM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

Man… every *#$%@& year the GM and the coach come out and they lie to us. They feed us half-truth morsels which sound like ironclad decrees and we lap that shit up like no GM has ever lied to his fanbase or no coach has ever sent a message through the media.

Then the other half of us scream from our balsa wood and cardboard GM desks about what supposedly easy decisions/trades have led to the idea that the whole team is *#$%@& because apparently their guy is too stupid or too afraid to have thought of.

I know it sounds like I’m complaining, but I’m really not.  Goddamn I missed this.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 09/16/13 at 02:18 PM ET

perfection's avatar

Posted by jkm2011 on 09/16/13 at 01:37 PM ET

excuse me?

my post was about Tatar smart guy

I’m actually good with Gus starting in the AHL.. as long as we win. I don’t give a crap who you think is entitled to what. The deeper we are, the better. Gus only has a few more games before he no longer qualifies for waivers, so despite your infinite well of knowledge, that is a very temporary solution at best. One minor injury and Gus can’t be sent down anymore. So while it’s possible he starts down, it’s almost certain he ends in the NHL . and as long as we make the playoffs, Babs will play the best players (which obviously includes Gus AND Tats) and we have as good of a shot as ever. Hell, we should have won it last year (if we take game 6 I think we win it all) and all we’ve done is improve AND move to the east. And now Babs is calling it the deepest lineup in his tenure. And its not like he just says stuff like that. I’ve seen him call out Kenny in the press about his depth countless times.

But I’m sure know WAAAY more than him about the “wings world” huh?

I love how many minds are already made up about everything… from the media down to mr genius jkm2011 and a puck hasn’t even been dropped yet. Almost EVERYTHING that has been debated, argued, and cried over this past month will be decided ON THE ICE. apparently, that’s not good enough for some of you (and the media). you’d rather it were decided in blog conversations amongst people who have no insight as to the inner workings of the locker room. and you criticize MY knowledge?? I’d rather be someone who knows they don’t know shit rather than a know-it-all wannabe fantasy GM who trolls the internet trying to be the ultimate devils advocate.

and speaking of people like that… garth, while you like to cherry pick words and make the word bold to feel important, you also conveniently don’t type the words before those… “Tats is going to be on the team,” Holland said

wow, that’s not explicit enough for you? you are the ultimate complainer… i don’t think the team could possibly do well enough to please you. it’s so tiresome. i will probably just stop arguing with you soon since you ignore the obvious and simply try and cherry pick facts to support predetermined conclusions. that’s bush league logic. you probably would love the puck stops here blog because he uses similar logic as you. And like him, anytime a point is refuted intelligently, you just ignore it and move on to bitch about some other nonsense you know nothing about. Which reminds me, you still think they are going to WAIVE Tatar?

This site used to be full of actual FANS who loved the game and their teams and now its just a daycare for crybabies. You have officially taken over it seems. ugh. I better start figuring out what blog all the old smart people that used to engage in fun, passionate hockey discussions around here went. this same crap different day nonsense is getting old before the season’s even started.

Posted by perfection from LaLaLand on 09/16/13 at 02:59 PM ET

mrfluffy's avatar

If Nyquist is sent down, it’ll be to clear the Cap on opening day as I’m fairly sure Helm can’t be put on IR until after day 1 of the season.

After day 1…Nyquist will be back up. Ban me if he isn’t. Tootoo and Eaves are most likely gone in any way, shape or form. Sucks for Eaves…have a hard time caring less about Tootoo.

Posted by mrfluffy from A wide spot on I-90 in Montana on 09/16/13 at 03:09 PM ET

you argue that the best players will play but then you say Gus will/should start in Gr. brilliant. and you argue that Sammy will get sent down despite thinking that you know what the wings way it is. remember that depth thing that you keep pointing to? brilliant thinking sammy on waivers or should I say perfection

Posted by jkm2011 on 09/16/13 at 03:16 PM ET

Nathan's avatar

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 09/16/13 at 02:18 PM ET

I’m complaining. This is all so goddamned stupid. Let the players play and see what happens on the ice before we’re hyper-critical over decisions management made that were based on infinitely more information than any of us will ever be privy to.

If the team’s GM was Garth Snow and their coach was Mike Keenan (Florida Panthers Edition, TM), fine, we should be hammering their decisions and assuming the worst. But instead, we have the most successful GM and coach of the last 10 years and we’re completely unwilling to give them the benefit of the doubt. How the hell does that make any sense?

Posted by Nathan from the scoresheet! on 09/16/13 at 03:23 PM ET

George Malik's avatar

Enough. With. The. Trolling.

We’re going to post a site-wide warning up in a couple of days, and in the interim, those of you who’re running ramp-shod through the comments section over the past two months take heed, this won’t just be coming from me this time.

Posted by George Malik from South Lyon, MI on 09/16/13 at 03:24 PM ET

Paul's avatar

AS a few of you know, I run a pretty loose ship when it comes to comments.  But there is a way to disagree correctly and and and a way not to do it.

My first suggestion is to block people if you don’t like their comments, my second suggestion is to just not reply to comments you don’t like or pm the person, others really don’t want to read an argument between two people, believe it or not, they want hockey talk.

As George mentioned, I will be addressing this in the coming days.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 09/16/13 at 03:30 PM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

I understand and I do think that the histrionic negativity gets to me an order of magnitude more than its polar opposite, the delusional apologist does, but it’s fun to watch them butt heads. It’s like watching my own id and superego do battle right in the comments section.

Babcock and Holland do deserve the benefit of the doubt but they’re not above questioning.  I personally don’t like to dwell on the past mistakes which are going to lead to Gustav Nyquist probably starting the season in Grand Rapids because there’s really nothing to be accomplished by it, but I’ll sure discuss whether or not they are mistakes and to what degree they were mistakes (I don’t think he should have signed Samuelsson at all, but I see why he did; the fact that Samuelsson got a no-trade clause on a 35+ contract is baffling and frustrating).

Bitching about it is how some people deal.

The difference between an argument between two people and a persistent trolling is razor-thin, but when we’ve got a writer who’s been all but begging a troll to stop trolling for over a week and nothing is happening as a result except that person gets mollified by the inaction to move on to attacking other users, the responsibility shouldn’t be on all the users to block that person or just pretend like he’s suddenly going to turn around and be capable of having a reasonable discussion

Just ban the trolls and yell at the regulars (myself included) when the conversation tends to slip more from spirited disagreement about hockey to spirited discussion about one another’s ancestry/IQ/predisposition to beastiality.

All in all, telling the commenters that it’s their problem to deal with when there are problematic commenters doesn’t make things better; it makes people want to comment less.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 09/16/13 at 04:16 PM ET

Yes, and after that, in the same paragraph he says “We’ve got decisions to make, but he’ll probably be one of the guys that’s one of the 14 left standing”.

I didn’t conveniently leave anything out.  He changed his answer.

When someone says one thing and then immediately says something contradictory, at the very least he is throwing into question the certainty of the first statement.

It might have been meaningful when he said Tatar would make the team if he didn’t quickly add in the word probably.

He says one thing, then says something else that contradicts what he said first, and somehow I’m the one who’s conveniently ignoring things?

Which reminds me, you still think they are going to WAIVE Tatar?

I don’t know.

Posted by Garth on 09/16/13 at 04:18 PM ET

Paul's avatar

I understand what you are saying J.J..

I have my on trolling and seriously and maybe I am naive, I don’t consider many to be trollers.

Some of these people have been around for some time and I would have spotted their tendencies by now.

I just hope it is everyone is anxious for the season to start and they don’t want to see the Wings held back, they want the best team on the ice and will let their opinion ring-out.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 09/16/13 at 05:11 PM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

I think that’s the major thing going on. Lots to talk about, plenty to worry about.  There’s only one person I’ve noticed lately that’s been consistently across the line in a calculated and persistent manner who I would recommend a heavy-handed approach with.

I’d also recommend that George take a slightly more detached approach with worrying about the tone of his comments sections while being slightly more direct with people when they do cross over to disrespecting people rather than disagreeing with ideas. For example, I think any serious level of worry that Tatar ends up on waivers is silly, but I don’t think that people who have that level of worry are silly people; they just see the likelihood of the various permutations which lead to that as much higher than I do.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 09/16/13 at 05:30 PM ET

Paul's avatar

J.J. regarding George, I am sure he will take in your recommendation.  But do remember it is his blog and for the most part he makes the decisions.

I do understand where you are coming from but this would be much better served via email than in this blog post.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 09/16/13 at 05:40 PM ET

perfection's avatar

the two things that first sucked me into commenting on this blog 5 years ago were the knowledge base people generally seemed to have and the fact that these knowledgable people disagreed passionately. I LIKE that. Otherwise, what’s the point of discussion?

I also followed George’s blog on MLive religiously and was so excited when he moved over here because I found the comments over there to be a lot like they’ve become here of late - vitriol and wild absurdities

It just seems the same people post the same things every single day, ignore any counterpoints, don’t participate in any real give and take, and then sling names if you disagree. up until the last couple months I have rarely ever even directed comments at other people specifically. I always have come to simply state my thoughts, read others and enjoy the game that much more. Basically, there was a crew of fellow diehards in the trenches with me. Even if we disagreed about a player or whatever, it was about fun.

whatever this is that this has devolved into is definitely pushing me away. perhaps I’ve unknowingly become part of the problem now, but when my intelligence (or hockey knowledge or whatever) is mocked at every random response to a blog post, eventually I get defensive and annoyed. maybe I should try blocking people, though it seems like it’d just make oddly nonsensical threads -  but at this point I’m just leaning towards retirement.

and JJ, I’m not sure if you’re calling me a dillusional apologist - but for the record I agree with everything you wrote. OF COURSE Sammy’s contract is bad! It’s just not relevant to mention EVERY post EVERY day two years later. I don’t apologize for these mistakes, but I do except them as part of the job. Go look at the rosters of every cup team the Wings have had in the past two decades, they all are peppered with guys who had no business being there. In pro sports, the difference between great good and bad is very slim. Managing is essentially a series of calculated gambles - some work out and some don’t.

But we are where we are and while it’d be fun to have impassioned discussions about who should be cut and why, I find myself debating with people claiming Holland is “retarded” and has no idea what he’s doing and Babcock is the worst coach ever and half the team should be waived, etc.

Fine.

Posted by perfection from LaLaLand on 09/16/13 at 05:42 PM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

and JJ, I’m not sure if you’re calling me a dillusional apologist

No.  The histrionic negative nancy and the delusional apologist are both kind of a strawman here. No commenter truly fits the entire type.

Understood.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 09/16/13 at 05:58 PM ET

SnLO's avatar

Teams can’t bury veteran players in the minors under the new CBA.

Aww man! I didn’t know that. That sucks! This new CBA is entirely too punitive. Teams should be able cut players that aren’t good enough anymore without it being to the detriment of the team as a whole. I was never in support of a salary cap in the first place, but at least the previous iteration was livable; but as this BS NHL saga goes, it just keeps getting worse.

Posted by SnLO from the sub great-white north on 09/17/13 at 09:11 AM ET

SnLO's avatar

Wow. Just read the comments. With respects to comment section discussion, I generally agree with JJ. I think too often the tone of the discussion is taken out of context from disagreement and discussion to screaming and vitriol. But,in fact, where the line is crossed is when the comment becomes disrespectful and filled with personal attacks.

Posted by SnLO from the sub great-white north on 09/17/13 at 09:57 AM ET