The Malik Report

What To Pay Danny DeKeyser?

from Helene St. James of the Detroit Free Press,

As the Wings roll deeper into the second half of the season, one of the subplots is figuring out the value of DeKeyser — for the team and the player. If DeKeyser doesn’t miss another game, he’ll still finish the season below the century mark for his career. Not much to go on for a guy in a contract year.

“Let’s get to the end of the season, make the playoffs, see what happens, then sit down and negotiate,” general manager Ken Holland said.

DeKeyser, 23, will be a restricted free agent, so there’s no danger he won’t return to the Wings, whom he handpicked as his choice after being pursued by every team in the NHL last March. Because he joined the Wings so late — after finishing his career at Western Michigan — DeKeyser burned up the first year of his contract in what ended up being just 11 games.

read on plus St. James mentions Jonas Gustavsson and his UFA status come July 1st....

Filed in: | The Malik Report | Permalink

Comments

I would say give him like $2-3M/yr for 2-3 years and reevaluate then.

Posted by teldar on 01/12/14 at 11:28 AM ET

E52’s career earnings track should be how much they pay 65DD - even though they have different skill sets and a defensively responsible PMD is a rarity.

Unless, Holland has inside information that the cap is going up, then I wouldn’t surprised if he offered 65DD Kronner money after only just one full season and one with several spots of injuries.

Posted by SYF from the team that re-signed KFQ and DFC by KFH on 01/12/14 at 01:48 PM ET

EDJ's avatar

I don’t see him making more than two mil a season, but that’s just a gut instinct (unless they make it to the third round and Dekeyser is playing 22+ minutes a game).

Posted by EDJ on 01/12/14 at 02:03 PM ET

Crater's avatar

Gustavsson has been good when healthy, but Mrazek looks like he is ready to back up Jimmy to me. Making Gus sort of disposable. Wouldn’t be surprised to see him resigned anyway though.

Posted by Crater from SoCal on 01/12/14 at 09:18 PM ET

shanetx's avatar

If I’m DD’s agent, I say pay me what Kyle Quincey makes plus 1.

Posted by shanetx from Floydada, Texas on 01/13/14 at 12:40 AM ET