The Malik Report

What is it like to want? Ask Red Wings forward Luke Glendening about his first NHL goal…

When Luke Glendening took to the ice during Wednesday's game against Boston alongside Drew Miller and Justin Abdelkader, I asked the Twitter world for line names as a pair of Spartans were being centered by a Wolverine, and then I made my own up: "Two Spartans, One Wolverine, NO HANDS."

Abdelkader tends to score goals with parts of his body not including his stick; Miller is a penalty-killer, and I was going to leave DetroitRedWings.com's Bill Roose's tale of the former Michigan captain's search for his first goal in the overnight report until I read this:

“I think I talk about it more because I want to score,” said Glendening, who played in his 50th NHL game Wednesday night. “I’ve never been known as a goal-scorer but it’s still frustrating when the goal never goes in. I get a lot of Grade-A opportunities and to not be able to find the net is frustrating. So it’s on my mind obviously, hence the reason I talk about it a lot.

“It’s hard to always be like, ‘Yeah, well I’m playing really well’ when your point production is so low. You really have to concentrate on other parts of your game.”

Nearly two weeks ago, Glendening established a new little known franchise record for rookie forwards when he surpassed Cummy Burton who had held the drought mark, playing his entire 43-game Detroit career without scoring a goal in the late 1950s.

The team record for going without a goal to start his Red Wings career is held by former defenseman Jim Watson (1963-70), who played 77 games without a goal.

Roose continues, and well, wow.

Filed in: | The Malik Report | Permalink

Comments

Alan's avatar

I like what Glendening brings to the ice, but I’d like it a bit more if he could pot a couple. I hope, both for his sake and for ours, that he can get a couple before the season ends.

Posted by Alan from Atlanta on 04/03/14 at 05:18 AM ET

w2j2's avatar

Chris Draper almost never scored, either, but he dominated when he was on the ice.  Thanks to his hustle, the puck just stayed in the offensive zone, and the other team would just scramble around trying to get the puck back.

Posted by w2j2 on 04/03/14 at 07:44 AM ET

NIVO's avatar

What Luke doesnt realize is that the hockey gods have reserved him 4 goals for the playoffs.

Posted by NIVO from underpants gnome village on 04/03/14 at 08:37 AM ET

Hootinani's avatar

Cummy Burton?  Did his mother not love him, or did his teammates catch him taking a few too many long showers?

Posted by Hootinani on 04/03/14 at 09:15 AM ET

MurrayChadwick's avatar

Everyone has a role, and when there was a minute left, up 1 goal, and 2 important draws to take, Glenny was not only on the ice, but he won both.

For a walk on college player, who had to tryout at the AHL level, to be in the NHL the following year, and not just sucking up 4 minutes a night, he’s on the ice in the final minute of all team leads is impressive itself, the goals will come.

I’m a Glendening fan.

Posted by MurrayChadwick on 04/03/14 at 11:05 AM ET

Draper averaged about a goal every eight games for his career, closer to Helm’s scoring pace than Glendening’s.  If Glendening was scoring at a Draper-esque pace he’d have six goals or so.

Now, that’s admittedly a little inflated by a higher scoring pace during a late career peak, when he got to play with Fedorov, etc.  But even as a 24-year old Draper had 7 goals in 52 games

(And Draper was better than Glendening at the little things too.)

Posted by captaineclectic on 04/03/14 at 11:52 AM ET

I’m a Glendening fan.

Posted by MurrayChadwick on 04/03/14 at 11:05 AM ET

This.  19 times this.

Posted by SYF from the team that re-signed KFQ and DFC by KFH on 04/03/14 at 01:27 PM ET

SK77's avatar

I’m a Glendening fan.

Posted by MurrayChadwick on 04/03/14 at 11:05 AM ET

This.  19 times this.

Posted by SYF from the Swedish Ice Mafia on 04/03/14 at 01:27 PM ET

Yep, Glendening has developed into a HUGE asset for this team. Hope he has a long, successful career with the Wings.

Posted by SK77 on 04/03/14 at 01:34 PM ET