The Malik Report

Well that’s that…The Red Wings will sign Max Nicastro shortly

Five days after

he was

acquitted on

charges of rape against him were dropped by Boston prosecutors, the Red Wings are placing a significant amount of faith in former Boston University defenseman Max Nicastro’s ability to rebound from six months’ worth of incredibly difficult personal circumstances.

MLive’s Ansar Khan reports that the Wings will sign Nicastro to an entry-level deal and give the two-way defenseman the opportunity to begin his professional career while doing what the Wings do with every player who joins their organization—allowing them to check their baggage at the locker room door:

The Detroit Red Wings anticipate signing the defenseman from Boston University, their third-round pick in the 2008 entry draft (91st overall), after July 1 and assigning him to the Grand Rapids Griffins, assistant general manager Jim Nill said. The 22-year-old Nicastro is a big, stay-at-home defenseman (6-foot-3, 215).

“He has good size, a big, strong guy, physical,’’ Nill said. “He can shoot the puck. He’s a strong skater.’‘

Authorities last week dropped rape charges against Nicastro. The native of Thousand Oaks, Calif., was arrested Feb. 19 after he was accused of assaulting a female student on campus. He had pleaded not guilty, was suspended from the team and withdrew from school.

“We got no comment on what happened,’’ Nill said. “Whatever is in the past, he’s been cleared of. We move forward.’‘

Filed in: | The Malik Report | Permalink

Comments

MsRedWinger's avatar

Hope the kid appreciates this huge leap of faith the Wings organization is taking.  If he truly did nothing wrong, he deserves this chance.

Posted by MsRedWinger from Flori-duh on 06/06/12 at 10:22 AM ET

George, I try not to nitpick but in this case I can’t restrain myself. To have the charges dropped is not exactly the same as to be acquitted. In fact, having the charges dropped probably puts him in a better position than being acquitted would have; in this case the prosecutors decided that they could not prove their case, suggesting that evidence was weak or contradictory.

Posted by Ken on 06/06/12 at 11:45 AM ET

BrendonR's avatar

What other organization in pro sports has such an affinity for redemption, whether its a free agent or a member of the clan?  Everyone deserves a second chance in life.  The Red Wings are a family, period.

Posted by BrendonR on 06/06/12 at 01:25 PM ET

BrendonR's avatar

Also, just to add a mostly unrelated point which may have been covered in the past, but what is the deal with Khan(!) and the whole “We got..” thing????  It’s “We’ve got”.  Doesn’t matter if it comes out sounding like the former when it was actually said to him.  Babs, Kenny, Jimmy Nill….all of them get this treatment from Khan and it makes them sound unintelligent in these articles.  George, maybe as an Mlive alum you’ve got some insight into this?

Posted by BrendonR on 06/06/12 at 01:30 PM ET

George Malik's avatar

I have edited my entry accordingly to reflect that charges were dropped…

And I think it’s just an error on Khan’s part. Babcock *does* talk that way on occasion, as do Holland and Nill, and sometimes when you’re rushed, you might transcribe someone’s words…Too literally.

When I’ve transcribed comments from players or management, I’ve always done my best to leave the substance thereof alone, even if grammatical errors reveal themselves in their comments, but I will admit to adding changing things like, “We got” to “We’ve got” because I know it irritates readers. I guess Khan was either rushed or simply chose to not edit Nill’s comments, grating as his grammar might be.

Posted by George Malik from South Lyon, MI on 06/06/12 at 01:37 PM ET

NIVO's avatar

hope the kid takes the opportunity to make big strides. His size will be a welcome addition to the lineup.

Posted by NIVO from underpants gnome village on 06/06/12 at 02:32 PM ET

My little brother was his defense partner for several seasons back before he was drafted. They hung out a few weeks ago and he said it was basically the wrath of a jealous ex. Don’t know how much truth there is to that but it’s at least straight from the horses mouth.

Posted by Jockey full of bourbon on 06/06/12 at 02:59 PM ET

“Innocent until proven guilty.” This tenet has not been thrown out of the US legal system yet, the last time I checked.

The DRW organization did the right thing.

Posted by Alex on 06/06/12 at 03:02 PM ET

BrendonR's avatar

Thanks George, I comment only because he seems to use ‘we got’ every time over the years Ive been reading him and it bugs me every time - fully appreciating that Babs and Kenny do often talk that way in interviews.

Posted by BrendonR on 06/06/12 at 05:20 PM ET