The Malik Report

Welcome Back Gus

The shortest recap of the season...

A three point night from Zetterberg (1g, 3a), 2 goals from Nyquist, one by Franzen, Kronwall and the other by Helm as the Wings get a mucn needed 4-3 win.

Nyquist certainly gives the offense a little more balance and here is my suggestion, move Tatar up to the line with Datsyuk and Bertuzzi.

Here is the game winning goal by Nyquist.

Filed in: | The Malik Report | Permalink

Comments

Hootinani's avatar

All I’m sayin’ is

I’ve never seen Nyquist and Jesus together in the same place at the same time.

Posted by Hootinani on 11/21/13 at 10:12 PM ET

^ haha

One game and he’s doubled Cleary’s goal total… Wonder where we’d be if nyquist was with the big club all season.

Posted by Robert on 11/21/13 at 10:14 PM ET

All I’m sayin’ is

I’ve never seen Nyquist and Jesus together in the same place at the same time.

Posted by Hootinani on 11/21/13 at 10:12 PM ET

That is awesome…He makes it look easy; he’s so talented. Hope he can play on a line with Tatar and Andersson at some point, like they did in Grand Rapids.

Posted by griffinsfan on 11/21/13 at 10:19 PM ET

here is my suggestion, move Tatar up to the line with Datsyuk and Bertuzzi.

Yeah?  And where is Cleary going to play, bottom six?  Surely you jest!

Posted by Garth on 11/21/13 at 10:22 PM ET

detroitredwings's avatar

I’d scratch Franzen’s goal, since he didn’t score.

Posted by detroitredwings on 11/21/13 at 10:27 PM ET

Hockeytown Wax's avatar

So ......

Nyquist scores 2 ... so much for sending him back to G.R.

He’s staying ... but now ... who goes ??

Cleary ??
Samuelsson ??
Miller ??

Not an easy decision for KH to make really because they all play an important role either on or off the ice but it’s now clear that sending Nyquist back would be the worst GM decision in recent hockey history.

One vote Cleary

Posted by Hockeytown Wax from West Bloomfield, Mi. on 11/21/13 at 10:34 PM ET

No one can go because no other team wants any of our sloppy seconds.  If they did a trade would have happened ages ago.

Posted by cochy on 11/21/13 at 10:36 PM ET

It’s time for Kenny to get creative in figuring out how to move someone.

Posted by Garth on 11/21/13 at 10:41 PM ET

Nate A's avatar

Awesome. The kid’s just so happy too.

Posted by Nate A from Detroit-ish on 11/21/13 at 11:06 PM ET

Primis's avatar

It’s not a given Nyquist doesn’t go back.  It genuinely wouldn’t surprise me if he does.

Posted by Primis on 11/21/13 at 11:17 PM ET

OlderThanChelios's avatar

...and here is my suggestion, move Tatar up to the line with Datsyuk and Bertuzzi.

Oh, Paul, you silly guy. Don’t you know this is a “man’s” game. Tomas is just a boy. Pavel and Bert need a real man to flub their passes and make dumb decisions. A boy just can’t do that as well as a real man like Cleary can. [/sarcasm]

On a serious note, I actually think this game was the worst game Tatar has played. He was hesitant, made poor decisions and lost more pucks than he held on to. I have to wonder if he wasn’t trying to do too much in order to prove he should be in the top six. Hopefully it was a one-game aberration.

Kudos to Gus, though. He looked supremely composed out there. And he definitely had a positive effect on Franzen.

The only problem with Gus’ return is that I heard some of the Wings players complained about a foul smell coming from him. They’re not exactly sure what it is, but the best guess is that he’s just a little “over ripe.”

Posted by OlderThanChelios from Grand Rapids, MI on 11/21/13 at 11:28 PM ET

and in other news Brunner is a healthy scratch….

Posted by brians neck on 11/21/13 at 11:38 PM ET

Tonight Nyquist became a man.

Posted by maltby18 on 11/21/13 at 11:57 PM ET

calquake's avatar

Tonight Nyquist became a man.

Posted by maltby18 on 11/21/13 at 11:57 PM ET

They held a Bar mitzvah?

Posted by calquake on 11/22/13 at 12:00 AM ET

alwaysaurie's avatar

So…... Nyquist scores 2… so much for sending him back to G.R… He’s staying ... but now… who goes ??

No one goes until both Weiss and Alfresson come back.

But the obvious choice has to be Miller(unless he can start producing before Alfie comes back), and I for one will be sad to see him go… I hope he gets picked up or even traded for.

Posted by alwaysaurie on 11/22/13 at 01:23 AM ET

Figaro's avatar

I had to watch the game on my DVR so I just finished.  I don’t think we could have asked more of Gus in his (possibly one and only) game back.  Two goals, strong D, skated hard, made a great hold when he was covering the blue-line at one point…  But yeah, there is still a very good chance he’s back in GR since Holland is up against the Cap.

Posted by Figaro from Los Alamos, NM on 11/22/13 at 01:48 AM ET

BrendonR's avatar

Just remember everyone: this is a man’s league. We’re completely out of whack for calling for Gus to be called up all year. It’s not like your top offensive player in GR, a former Hobey Baker finalist, is going to make a difference…

Posted by BrendonR on 11/22/13 at 06:14 AM ET

He was hesitant, made poor decisions and lost more pucks than he held on to.

I’m sure he has noticed that Cleary constantly gets promoted to the top six, so Tatar realized he needs to play more like Cleary if he wants top six minutes.

Posted by Garth on 11/22/13 at 07:44 AM ET

Tatar has not been perfect but he is doing some good things and morer importantly things that the team needs. He has been relentless along the boards and in the corners. He can hold on to the puck there and has enough skill with it in close quarters like that that he can create some chances for his linemates that way. That line of him, Helm and Abby had some long shifts in the offensive zone just by the three of them really puttting the pressure on the Canes through hustle and grit. Goals from that kind of work will come.

I think he needs to be given his place on a third line like that and given time to adjust and learn and get better. We need players that have some skill, some grit, some speed and some energy. Young players make mistakes. Sitting in the pressbox at thios point wont help him imrpove.

Posted by lancer on 11/22/13 at 08:32 AM ET

Posted by lancer on 11/22/13 at 08:32 AM ET

Abber and Sauce had a real good game on the forecheck as well.  Helm’s goal?  That was all Abber’s puckhandling.

Posted by SYF from Alana Blanchard's Bikinis and Surfboards on 11/22/13 at 12:58 PM ET