The Malik Report

Watch Jim Nill At His Press Conference In Dallas Today

Jim Nill, the new GM in Dallas, discusses his philosophy on building a team, with a few Red Wings references.

Filed in: | The Malik Report | Permalink

Comments

Best of luck to you, Jim, just NOT against the Wings.

Posted by SYF from the team that re-signed KFQ and DFC by KFH on 04/29/13 at 03:08 PM ET

PaulinMiamiBeach's avatar

holy crap he didn’t even wait until AFTER the playoffs?

wow.  that’s kind of low, amiright?

Posted by PaulinMiamiBeach on 04/29/13 at 03:20 PM ET

Savage Henry's avatar

I think he had a clause in his contract that gave him a limited window to look elsewhere.  He probably couldn’t wait until after the playoffs.

Posted by Savage Henry on 04/29/13 at 03:32 PM ET

Posted by Savage Henry on 04/29/13 at 03:32 PM ET

Since he’s now the Stars GM as of this Monday afternoon, should the Wings win the Cup this playoff year, does that mean he gets his name on the Cup as a Wings executive?

Posted by SYF from the team that re-signed KFQ and DFC by KFH on 04/29/13 at 03:41 PM ET

SYF
I would think he should. I don’t remember that a player needs to play in the playoffs to have his name on the cup, just have been a member of the team for enough of a percentage of the season.

Posted by teldar on 04/29/13 at 03:54 PM ET

Hank Scorpio's avatar

I’m more disappointed that the Wings let him go before the draft.  I know they didn’t want to hold him back, but it kind of stinks when your draft guru joins the opposition a few months before the entry draft.

On the plus side, at least we now have 2 GMs in the league that will do business with the Wings (Nill and Yzerman).

Posted by Hank Scorpio on 04/29/13 at 03:59 PM ET

Last I read, a player needs to play:

-more than 50% of the regular season;
-at least 4 playoff games; or
-just one SCF game

...to put his name on the Cup.  I’m not sure about executives, though.

Posted by Swank on 04/29/13 at 03:59 PM ET

Interesting way to put it, but Wings are in the same division as the Yzerbolts next season.

Posted by SYF from the team that re-signed KFQ and DFC by KFH on 04/29/13 at 04:02 PM ET

Russian Rocket's avatar

Posted by Swank on 04/29/13 at 03:59 PM ET

You also now have 2 GM’s who know the inner workings of the Wings and can potentially beat them at their own game. Just a little devil’s advocate.

Posted by Russian Rocket on 04/29/13 at 04:15 PM ET

Posted by Russian Rocket on 04/29/13 at 04:15 PM ET

Yup, but it makes the competition that much better.

Posted by SYF from the team that re-signed KFQ and DFC by KFH on 04/29/13 at 04:18 PM ET

Bugsy's avatar

The flip side: The Wings know quite well how 2 of the GM’s in the league work. Yzerman also might be under a bit of heat given they had the 2 top point leaders and finished next to last in the conference (and don’t get me wrong, I wouldn’t mind Stevie back here in Detroit), so Yzerman might still be learning on the job some.

Posted by Bugsy on 04/29/13 at 04:21 PM ET

Hank Scorpio's avatar

Sort of like trading Quincey to us for a first rounder . . . . I’m sure Yzerman was happy with that return, even moreso this year after seeing how Quincey has performed.

I’m still happier knowing there are GMs in the league willing to do business with us, even if they have more insight into Ken’s thinking than most.  It seems like, for the last few years, most of the GMs won’t do business with us.

Posted by Hank Scorpio on 04/29/13 at 04:24 PM ET

Hank Scorpio's avatar

Posted by Bugsy on 04/29/13 at 04:21 PM ET

I’m still trying to figure out how Tampa flopped so badly the last few years.  I get the goaltending thing last year, but this year is a complete mystery to me (even with their injury issues).

Posted by Hank Scorpio on 04/29/13 at 04:26 PM ET

Leo_Racicot's avatar

Changing coaches (and more importantly a slight philosophical shift in style of play) mid-stream in a condensed season was an absolute killer. for them We saw similar results with the clown show that was the Capitals when Bodreeau was ushered out and Hunter’s snoozer system got installed last season.

Posted by Leo_Racicot on 04/29/13 at 04:37 PM ET

alukacs's avatar

He might have a clause in his contract with the Wings that he cannot help the Stars drafting. Not sure how that would work, but when Yzerman left, he did the same thing. He let the front office run the first draft and he was not involved.

Posted by alukacs on 04/29/13 at 06:41 PM ET

Primis's avatar

My understanding was there was like a 6-week window built into his contract that teams could talk to him… but that window was for during the SUMMER.  This is obviously not the summer.  So yeah, timing is weird.  I was a bit surprised they were even letting anyone talk to him.  Odd for sure.

My bet is DET’s done tons of pre-draft work already, and DET just gave their blessing so Nill can try to be involved in DAL’s pre-draft in time as well.

And one of the top guys in DAL has ties to DET, he may have asked for the favor to get him early.

I was discussing DAL elsewhere today, and it got bought up that while they ended the season on-ice decently, off-ice it was a bit disturbing if you think about it.  They brought in Jagr (UFA) and Roy (traded away Ott to BUF) , then traded both away again at the deadline along with the team captain.  That… to me sounds like there were some real internal struggles in management re: philosophy.  Should give people pause in terms of expectations next season.  It might take some years and more turnover elsewhere to fix.

Posted by Primis on 04/29/13 at 09:02 PM ET