The Malik Report

Wallner: Darren Helm’s ready to get back to work during conditioning stint with Griffins

Darren Helm's less than happy to find himself squarely placed in blinding glare of the media spotlight, but it comes with the territory. Helm was assigned to the Grand Rapids Griffins for 2 "conditioning stint" games yesterday evening (Helm, who will wear #9, will play in Friday night's Calder Cup Championship banner-raising game against Milwaukee and Saturday's game in Rockford) and the Grand Rapids Press's Peter J. Wallner spoke with Helm after today's Griffins practice:

“I just want to have a solid, smart game and not try and do too much,” Helm said after practice. “I mean, I’ve played four periods in the last 18 months, so it’s going to be a little different for me out there.  So I’m a little nervous but I just have to get out there and go.”

...

Red Wings General Manager Ken Holland said the plan is for Helm to play Friday and Saturday – when the Griffins are at Rockford – and then return to practice with the Red Wings.

Coach Jeff Blashill said Helm will be on a line with Riley Sheahan and Landon Ferraro.

Ferraro was assigned to Grand Rapids today after recovering from some sort of leg injury.

Helm was uncertain what to expect this weekend. Asked about limitations, he said: “We’re going to find out when I start hitting and stuff. As far as practices go, that doesn’t match playing in a game … It (getting hit) is going to happen and I don’t know how I’m going to react. We’ll see.”

He added:

“I think I’m pretty prepared. I’ve been skating with Detroit since training camp. So my cardio level should be there. I guess just staying healthy (would be a good outcome). I’m just looking forward to being out there.

Continued

Filed in: | The Malik Report | Permalink

Comments

WingedRider's avatar

Huge weekend coming up for Helm.  Wings record with him in the lineup is substantially better.  Good Luck Darren, all Wings Fans waiting with Fingers, Toes, crossed!!

Posted by WingedRider from Saskatoon, SK on 10/16/13 at 02:16 PM ET

BrendonR's avatar

Just to echo WingedRider’s comments, we’ve all been talking about this and that in terms of what is off with the Wings, but we all know this is the real reason they aren’t the same dominant force we’re used to. They’re currently built to have Helmer as the 3rd line centre, and the whole lineup goes out of whack without him.

Posted by BrendonR on 10/16/13 at 02:49 PM ET

awould's avatar

Getting a healthy Helm back, all season, would be a huge lift for the Red Wings.

Posted by awould on 10/16/13 at 02:52 PM ET

Hootinani's avatar

I know i’ve said it before, but I’m excited as hell to see Helm on Friday.  I was pretty amped about the banner raising, but this just puts it over the top.

Posted by Hootinani on 10/16/13 at 02:56 PM ET

voline's avatar

Helm and Ferraro together? That line will have some speed. I hope Sheahan can keep up.

Posted by voline on 10/16/13 at 08:37 PM ET

We still need to find a way to get Mule and Weiss goin like they can. Weiss needs guys who shoot the puck on his line and Mule needs to get open and shoot more often. When Helm is back I would like to see them try these line combos:
Mule - Dat - Abby
Zetty - Weiss - Alfie
Nyq - Helm - Bert
Cleary - Andy - Tatar
extras: Miller, Tootoo

Posted by Anderj8 on 10/17/13 at 09:42 AM ET

Posted by Anderj8 on 10/17/13 at 10:42 AM ET

Why would you want to break up the top line that has actually been good?

Oh, and good luck with getting Nyquist back to the NHL any time soon.

Posted by Garth on 10/17/13 at 10:48 AM ET