The Malik Report

‘WalletHub’ study: Detroit is the best hockey city in the U.S.

According to a study conducted by WalletHub, Detroit ranks as the #1 hockey city in the U.S. Richie Bernardo explains the study's methodology:

To find the best cities for hockey fans, WalletHub’s analysts compared 72 of the most populated U.S. cities across two divisions, including NHL (Div. I Men’s) and College Hockey (Div. I Men’s). For our sample, we chose cities with at least one college or professional hockey team.

We first compiled 17 relevant metrics, which are listed below with their corresponding weights. Each metric was given a value between 0 and 100, wherein 100 represents the most favorable conditions for hockey fans and 0 the least. In order to determine the weight for each division, we surveyed teams in each division’s Facebook account, summed the number of “Likes” and calculated the proportion that each league represented in total. Thus, the weight attributed to each division was based on its popularity.

We then calculated the overall score for each city using the weighted average across all metrics and ranked the cities accordingly.

The article continues...

Filed in: | The Malik Report | Permalink

Comments

WingedRider's avatar

#42 Minneapolis, MN 8.08 23 23 LMAO

Posted by WingedRider from Saskatoon, SK on 06/08/16 at 11:55 AM ET

Primis's avatar

#42 Minneapolis, MN 8.08 23 23 LMAO

Posted by WingedRider from Saskatoon, SK on 06/08/16 at 11:55 AM ET

That’s because St. Paul, where Xcel Energy Centeris located, is #8.

Posted by Primis on 06/08/16 at 02:00 PM ET

WingedRider's avatar

Watch nhl games in St Paul, jump in your dingy and cross over to Minneapolis to watch college hockey.  Makes sense, I guess.

Posted by WingedRider from Saskatoon, SK on 06/08/16 at 02:21 PM ET

Primis's avatar

Kalamazoo at #62 of 70 is an example of the challenges of some of the markets.

There’s Western for NCAA, and KWIngs ECHL.  And then Detroit NHL, and Grand Rapids AHL just up the road.  And there’s only so many butts/eyeballs to go around.  When Western’s attendance goes up, the KWings’ attendance tends to trend down.  Both also suffer some if the Red Wings are in the midst of a run.

There’s just only so many people to go around and populations in the state have declined somewhat still..

Posted by Primis on 06/08/16 at 03:12 PM ET

Figaro's avatar

That’s because St. Paul, where Xcel Energy Centeris located, is #8.

Posted by Primis on 06/08/16 at 02:00 PM ET

That is probably the best arena in the NHL.  I’ve seen several games there and the whole place just oozes Hockey.

Posted by Figaro from Los Alamos, NM on 06/08/16 at 04:00 PM ET

WingedRider's avatar

In Canada, where I live, all there is WHL and a few University games.  Rogers jerks even have TV blackout Jets, Oilers, Flames.

Minimum 5 hour drive to Alberta and a marathon to Winnipeg on secondary highways.

Not many farm teams for NHL, Canucks moved theirs from a relatively close location to GM Placd.  Fans chose to watch much cheaper AHL.  I really think someday NHL games will have no people/fans attending as revenues are MUCH larger for TV, merchandise, etc

They want $20 for a cup of beer, Canadian $$$

When my son and I splurge and go to a NHL game, it is a min $300 and the little turd doesn’t watch the game.

Michigan is very lucky to have so many choices for hockey fans, especially middle/low income.

Posted by WingedRider from Saskatoon, SK on 06/08/16 at 09:26 PM ET